Questions about doctoral prerequisites and online coursework

hbaylor63

I have a bachelor's and master's degree in a related field, but I need to complete a few prereqs for a few of the programs I'm interested in. However, I work full-time as a clinician. It would be much easier to take courses online. I'm concerned that these courses won't be taken seriously when I'm applying to Ph.D programs. I'm not sure if they can see that the courses were taken online, but I imagine it will be obvious if my coursework is from a university in a different state. I guess I'm wondering if this will substantially hurt my chances of admission. I graduated from my master's program with a 4.0, I have research experience, and I have plenty of experience in the field (practicums + post-degree clinical experience). I haven't taken the GRE, but that's in the works. My main concern right now are prereqs. 

Pre-reqs are typically a “check the box” kind of thing. I would also look into your local community college, as it’s probably much cheaper and they often have evening classes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Thanks so much for helping me as well in my post! I wanted to ask what are you wanting to do your doctorate in? I might pursue an MSW program at Hunter and then either the LCSW or a clinical psychology PhD. It's that or a school psychology PsyD at St. John's university. I would need to become a licensed psychologist to be able to do the same things a clinical psychologist would.