SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

My Tennessee interview went really well, but now I'm overanalyzing it because I don't see how anyone's couldn't have. It was so informal, and the professor talked more than I did. When she did ask me questions, it was like a casual conversation. I was still respectful and appropriate, but now I'm worried I could have given better answers. For instance, she asked me to tell her more about the woman with autism for whom I work as a companion, and all I did was describe a typical day (I help her cook, we go out and do fun things...). Grr...I said nothing about how I help her communicate! The professor seemed to like me, but in all honesty I'm racking my brain for anything I said that would make her pick me (and not someone else).

To make matters worse, I toured the campus and now I really want to go! My only hope is that they already picked their class, and just invited us in for interviews to make sure we could speak properly ourselves... <_<

A question for those of you who were recently accepted by the University of South Carolina - did any of you state an interest in one of the specialty tracks (AVT/CI or neurogenic disorders)? Did your acceptance letter say anything about you being admitted to one of the tracks? I'm just curious to know if anyone knows anything before I call the department. Thanks!

OK, so yesterday I had a horrible realization and I thought I'd share it with everyone in here since it barely let me get any sleep last night.

I know that probably most of you knew about this already, but I always thought that after attending any school for a year we could establish residency the second year and then pay in-state tuition. Then yesterday I found out that MANY schools have a policy by which if you start out as an out-of-state resident, you are stuck with that residency for the entirety of your program :mellow: There are some schools that are more lenient but still the process of changing from out-of-state to in-state seems to be really complicated, with many schools threatening to expel you if you apply for in-state residency when the main purpose of you being in the state is to attend their institution. How the heck am I going to pay for school? By the end of my program I'm going to have a mortgage worth of loans! :blink: Does anyone know when we'll hear back from FAFSA? :(

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Well this is awful news! I live in NY but I'm 10 minutes away from the NJ border and I can't get NJ tuition

I spoke to LIU-Brooklyn, they are stil reviewing applications and will be sending out decisions throughout the month of March into the beginning of April... :(

I didn't apply there, but it boggles my mind that so many schools will send responses so late when we have to make our decision by April 15!

I had an interview with chapman last week and I did have to fill out a writing prompt afterwards. there were a couple other applicants in the room with me and it looked like we all had different prompts. how do you think you did?

I'm not sure. I was a little nervous, but I really want to go there especially after the interview! I wonder how many people got interview invites and how high my chances are...uhg such a slow day today. No mail or emails! Sending good vibes to you all hoping we hear great news soon!!

I didn't apply there, but it boggles my mind that so many schools will send responses so late when we have to make our decision by April 15!

They started about 2 weeks ago and I know a few people who heard back and those who didn't hear back... I don't get the system?

A question for those of you who were recently accepted by the University of South Carolina - did any of you state an interest in one of the specialty tracks (AVT/CI or neurogenic disorders)? Did your acceptance letter say anything about you being admitted to one of the tracks? I'm just curious to know if anyone knows anything before I call the department. Thanks!

In my personal statement I told them I was interested in the neurogenic track. It didn't say anything about it in the acceptance letter, so I emailed them. Here's the reply I got:

Generally, students apply for the Neurogenic or Cochlear Implant Tracks at the beginning of their second year. However, if you mentioned your desire to do the Neurogenic track in your application letter and are in good standing (grade-wise and in the clinic) you should have no trouble getting in.

Couldn't stand it, called a couple of those oh-so-elusive CSUs today.

• SFSU: "within a couple of weeks"
  • CSUN: "end of March, early April"
  • CSULA: will go out by mail starting mid-April
  • SDSU: "within a week," bless your soul!!

Couldn't reach CSUF, I'll try again later.

I applied to most of those school. Thanks for calling!!! But mid-April for CSULA? Really? And within a week for SDSU? So nervous!

I spoke to LIU-Brooklyn, they are stil reviewing applications and will be sending out decisions throughout the month of March into the beginning of April... :(

Booooo!!! Their system especially does not make sense to me!

In my personal statement I told them I was interested in the neurogenic track. It didn't say anything about it in the acceptance letter, so I emailed them. Here's the reply I got:

Generally, students apply for the Neurogenic or Cochlear Implant Tracks at the beginning of their second year. However, if you mentioned your desire to do the Neurogenic track in your application letter and are in good standing (grade-wise and in the clinic) you should have no trouble getting in.

Thanks for the info! I mentioned my interest in the CI track...though I'm very interested in the neurogenic track, too.

It is going to be a stressful two weeks to figure out what to do!

Why oh why is this week so slow on the results board?! I thought this would have been a big week for us. I'll be out of town visiting schools in Maryland and interviewing for GAships Thursday-Sunday so I'm sure THAT will be when everything comes in the mail, knowing my luck.

What about Northeastern? Does anyone know when we will hear from them? I know the application was due really late and I don't expect to hear from them until next week at the earliest but does anyone have any more information about when we may hear?

I'd love to know this too!

Couldn't stand it, called a couple of those oh-so-elusive CSUs today.

• SFSU: "within a couple of weeks"
  • CSUN: "end of March, early April"
  • CSULA: will go out by mail starting mid-April
  • SDSU: "within a week," bless your soul!!

Couldn't reach CSUF, I'll try again later.

Thanks so much for sharing this information, leesta! Can't wait to hear from SDSU! :)

Yes! Thank you!!!!! :)

To add to your list, I called UMass Amherst yesterday and they said "will go out mid march" so hopefully there's news sooooooon.

I have a friend that got an acceptance to UMass Amherst several weeks ago, so I wonder if they have rolling admissions?

I'm still waiting on Ithaca-put a call in and was told my application was still under review (and this was supposed to be a good thing according to the secretary-she said be hopeful) and she put an email into the chair of the dept to inquire about a timeline for me on when I should hear. I never heard anything back (it has been 2 weeks) so I decided to email him (for background info, I visited the program in the beginning of Feb and had an informal interview (one other student who had already been accepted) and before I left I asked when I should hear and was told, "in a few days"...so I felt okay contacting them. Let's hope I hear some REALLY good news very very soon!

Do you think I could get the post office to screen all mail that isn't from one of my schools? Every time I see a little white envelope I get excited, but it's only an offer for car insurance. No, State Farm!

Do you think I could get the post office to screen all mail that isn't from one of my schools? Every time I see a little white envelope I get excited, but it's only an offer for car insurance. No, State Farm!

Oh man, I wish. Yesterday I had a big white envelope in the mail and was so excited I practically threw the rest to the ground. Turns out, it was some packet about my 401-k full of useless information I already knew. So disappointed!

I'm hoping the tail end of this week will be better in terms of numbers of decisions sent out! :)

Hello everyone, for anyone waiting for news on Purdue, I received a phone call tonight telling me that I was accepted into the program (!!!) and that I will be receiving an email in about a week more with information. I'm guessing it will be another week before they release all of their decisions as I doubt they will call every applicant.

Hello everyone, for anyone waiting for news on Purdue, I received a phone call tonight telling me that I was accepted into the program (!!!) and that I will be receiving an email in about a week more with information. I'm guessing it will be another week before they release all of their decisions as I doubt they will call every applicant.

Congratulations!! You've been accepted to awesome programs already :) Do you have a top choice at this point?

Congratulations!! You've been accepted to awesome programs already :) Do you have a top choice at this point?

No, I tried to avoid picking a top choice because I didn't want to have my heart broken. At this point, I'm still waiting for financial information before making any decisions. I'm most likely going to decline South Carolina because I don't like their attitude towards the admission process and perspective students, but that is the only decision I've made so far. The next few weeks are going to be challenging as I try to weigh the pros and cons of each school but I'm just grateful that I have options.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing when they called? And maybe the first letter of your last name haha?

Congrats! Do you mind sharing when they called? And maybe the first letter of your last name haha?

No problem, my last name begins with G. They called around 8:45 pm EST. The woman I spoke to seemed to have a list of people to call so they might be spreading it out over the course of the next few days.

No problem, my last name begins with G. They called around 8:45 pm EST. The woman I spoke to seemed to have a list of people to call so they might be spreading it out over the course of the next few days.

Were you caught totally off guard? I would have probably ignored a number from a random area code at that hour! Congratulations on your acceptance! That must have been such an exciting phone call to receive. :)

Were you caught totally off guard? I would have probably ignored a number from a random area code at that hour! Congratulations on your acceptance! That must have been such an exciting phone call to receive. :)

I actually missed the call and had to call back. I didn't recognize the number so I googled it and then started freaking out once I knew it was from Indiana. Thanks, hope you hear soon!