SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I got my first rejection, from FSU. I'm from Florida, so it would have been less expensive than the places that I have gotten in so far...but I'm honestly not too upset, because it wouldn't really have been one of my first choices...so now I'll have less of a debate in my head between program/cost.

For those of you talking/interested in how to fund grad school - if you were accepted into a school where it would be $40,000 total to a great, well ranked school or a free ride to a lesser known, smaller program in the middle of nowhere... which would you choose?

I think it's really important to take debt seriously, seems like too many of my friends have an "I'll deal with it when I graduate" kind of attitude....does your undergraduate university have a money management center or something similar? At my school, you can go in and talk about how much you would have to take out in loans to cover tuition/living expenses and figure out how large of a monthly payment you'd be paying after you graduate. Then you can look at how much you expect to be making after graduation and decide if it's really feasible for you.

I applied to some expensive programs, but always with the understanding that if I didn't get enough funding, I would turn them down and stay in-state. I can empathize with the "middle-of-nowhere" thing - I want so badly to get out of Nebraska! :P But I keep reminding myself that it's a two year program, and there's nothing stopping me from moving to Seattle (or anywhere not-in-the-Midwest, honestly) after I graduate for my CFY or to practice there long-term...

Edited by SLParanoid

A little bit disappointed, I really thought this would be the week I would hear from somewhere! I did hear from UNC last week but it was unfortunately a rejection. Trying not to get down and out but it's difficult when people are hearing back from schools you applied to! Even though this website tends to make me a little bit anxious it's at least nice to know that there are plenty of other people feeling the same way. Congrats to everyone who got accepted to a program this week, and lots of support to anyone who didn't receive the best news and/or is still holding out on hearing form other schools!

Sorry you didn't get any word this week! Sometimes I imagine that the graduate admissions committees must enjoy torturing us. I try to remember that processing applications isn't the only thing they have to do, but that doesn't help much when the mail comes. My postman probably thinks I'm a maniac the way I wait for him every day. :ph34r:

Hope everyone gets some R&R this weekend. Certainly well-deserved!

Has someone not heard back from SDSU? I've checked my status online and it still says it's under review.

I think they're sending it through email. I've heard back and my online status says the same as yours.

For those of you who applied to Cincinnati, does anyone know if all acceptances were sent this week? I noticed on the results that everyone seemed to get accepted on the same day.

I hope not! I applied to Cincinnati too and haven't heard anything yet. I didn't look like there were so many acceptances listed that those would have been it (although I know not everyone who applies uses this website).

Also to those who applied to Temple, I saw on the board that two responses were just recently posted. Did you see your response through the TUPortal under the "apply for admission" tab or was there a separate link?

For those of you who applied to Cincinnati, does anyone know if all acceptances were sent this week? I noticed on the results that everyone seemed to get accepted on the same day.

I hope not! I applied to Cincinnati too and haven't heard anything yet. I didn't look like there were so many acceptances listed that those would have been it (although I know not everyone who applies uses this website).

Also to those who applied to Temple, I saw on the board that two responses were just recently posted. Did you see your response through the TUPortal under the "apply for admission" tab or was there a separate link?

I haven't heard anything either. I'm thinking about waiting another week and then e-mailing them.

What is your top choice school? I was rejected from San Diego yesterday :(

No worries, I'm sure good news will come your way soon!

I'm not really sure what my top choice is, my thoughts while applying was that I'd be happy if I got into any school at all! I'm ecstatic about U of W, but like everyone else, I'm caught whether I should spend the extra tens of thousands versus a cheaper in-state school. How about you?

I applied to Cincinnati too. I don't mean to be all negative, but I'm kind of thinking no email yet = waitlisted or rejected. I noticed from the results last year that all the acceptances went out closer to the beginning of March, whereas all the rejections and waitlists were sent out closer to the end of the month. I mean, I hope not but... kind of looks that way to me. :-/

And also... I misspelled something in my personal statement, so I wouldn't admit me either, lol. Right after I pressed submit on CSDCAS I realized my mistake, and started freaking out. They let me send them a corrected statement, but... let's just say the word I misspelled is pretty embarrassing for a speech-language pathology major to get wrong, especially when listing it as one of their interests!! :unsure: At least the school wasn't a super top choice for me, and I have gotten in elsewhere, but still...

Edited by nycrefugee

Does anybody have any info on availability of assistantships at University of Texas at Austin? I have been accepted there, but I am from California and would be paying out-of-state tuition unless I can get an assistantship where I put in 10 hours/week or more. The Department states that assistantship applications will be accepted in May, which is after the deadline to decide which program you'll be attending. In other words, I am supposed to decide whether to go UTA without knowing whether it will cost me $25K or $48K.

All this money stuff is hurting my brain O_o

I was accepted at MGH, but with no offer for funding (sad face). I'm crunching numbers and trying to decide how much debt is too much. I'm still waiting to hear from Vandy, and hoping against hope that I not only get in but am offered some financial assistance. I don't want to stay in California! The schools here are being crushed by our state budget woes and our professors are worked to the bone!

Does anyone know much about how UT-Austin, UNC- Chapel HIll, and MGH compare? I know that they're all supposed to be great programs but I don't know as much about how the day-to-day student/learning/clinical experience feels different at each. There doesn't seem to be much written on these forums about UT-Austin or UNC. If you know anything about Boston University or Vanderbilt, please share that too. I'm going to try to get in touch with students at these schools but in the meantime, pooling our knowledge would be really helpful. Thanks!

I don't know anything about UNC, but... here's my two cents on the MGH and UTA:

MGH is geared towards those of us who want to work in medical settings and with adults. UTA is geared towards working in school settings and especially bilingual school settings. That said, you can technically work in either setting after licensure, but the question becomes, how easy will it be to get a job in X setting, and how prepared will I feel?

I got in to MGH and UTA last week, too. I'm struggling with the idea of massive debt after grad school, and wondering whether I will be able to work in my dream setting after school. I really want to work with aphasia and other cognitive language problems, and I want to work with adults... but I'm not sure if taking out $80K in loans to go to MGH is a financially sound idea.

I haven't heard anything either. I'm thinking about waiting another week and then e-mailing them.

I got an acceptance email from Cincinnati last Sunday. I would email them if you haven't gotten something yet!

I got an acceptance email from Cincinnati last Sunday. I would email them if you haven't gotten something yet!

OK, I bit the bullet and sent out an e-mail. I had written the program coordinator an e-mail on Feb 21 because my application materials didn't seem to show up in UC's system (gradtools) but never got a response. Really hoping that they weren't the 3rd program to receive, and then misplace, my application stuff.

**If anyone is prowling around here who will be applying next year, I have discovered that there IS such a thing as "too early" when it comes to submission of application materials. I had everything but my letters of recommendation in by the end of October/beginning of November and at least 2 schools lost stuff after they told me they received everything. :huh:

It is a wonder I have any hair left.

OK, I bit the bullet and sent out an e-mail. I had written the program coordinator an e-mail on Feb 21 because my application materials didn't seem to show up in UC's system (gradtools) but never got a response. Really hoping that they weren't the 3rd program to receive, and then misplace, my application stuff.

**If anyone is prowling around here who will be applying next year, I have discovered that there IS such a thing as "too early" when it comes to submission of application materials. I had everything but my letters of recommendation in by the end of October/beginning of November and at least 2 schools lost stuff after they told me they received everything. :huh:

I would have ripped all my hair out at this point for sure! Thats so ridiculous. Was Southern CT one of the schools that 'misplaced' parts of your app?

I would have ripped all my hair out at this point for sure! Thats so ridiculous. Was Southern CT one of the schools that 'misplaced' parts of your app?

As a matter of fact, it was! I had a letter that both the graduate school and department of ComD had everything. Then, a month later, I got a letter stating that the school didn't have my transcripts. I contacted the department just to see if I needed to send my paperwork to both again. The department told me that they had a copy, not originals, from the school! So I contacted the school and told them what the department had told me, and they said that they had gotten a copy from the department. So, there's at least one set of original transcripts floating around New Haven, but SCSU just can't find them. I sent in a third set of transcripts just to be safe, but I thought I was losing my mind there for awhile.

To those of you who heard back from SDSU on Friday, did you apply to the 2-year or the 3-year program? I haven't heard anything :unsure:

i was accepted to the 2 year program (and I'm out of state). I'm in the same boat with another program - other people have received acceptances/rejections and I haven't heard anything.

I had to send my transcripts to one school four times because they kept misplacing them. To be fair, dealing with 400 applicants must be tough...and I'm sure the people in that department were getting sick of me calling every other day to check on whether or not they had listed my transcripts...but it still caused me a great deal of stress.

I don't want to stay in California! The schools here are being crushed by our state budget woes and our professors are worked to the bone!

How serious of a concern is this? I was accepted to SDSU and am seriously considering it. I'm on the east coast, though, so I am not terribly knowledgeable about the true extent of CA's budget problems.

How serious of a concern is this? I was accepted to SDSU and am seriously considering it. I'm on the east coast, though, so I am not terribly knowledgeable about the true extent of CA's budget problems.

I should have been more clear. I can only speak for the Cal State system. I didn't mean to cause you concern. I did both my undergrad and post-bac work at a Cal State, and also did some grad work at a Cal State. I have seen things change drastically in the Cal State system from 2002 to now.

I have zero experience with SDSU, so please don't take my comments to reflect on that school. The little I know about SDSU tells me that it is in a far better position than any of the Cal States. Sorry to be unclear.

Hello all! I was just notified that I have an Interview at loyola university!... Does anyone have any pointers or advice if they've had an interview before and super nervous since this is my top choice! Thanks

I should have been more clear. I can only speak for the Cal State system. I didn't mean to cause you concern. I did both my undergrad and post-bac work at a Cal State, and also did some grad work at a Cal State. I have seen things change drastically in the Cal State system from 2002 to now.

I have zero experience with SDSU, so please don't take my comments to reflect on that school. The little I know about SDSU tells me that it is in a far better position than any of the Cal States. Sorry to be unclear.

San Diego State University is part of the CSU system.