SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Thank you so much! Vanderbilt sounds wonderful. I really hope I get in, but I'm not sure if Nashville has a good enough job market for my husband to make it a feasible option even if I do get in. We'll see. Did you happen to visit UT?

I have not visited UT, but am I thinking of contacting the department this week to try to arrange a visit sometime this month or early April. UT is the school I applied to that I know the least about. As an out-of-state student, I am especially interested in finding out anything I can about the potential for obtaining an assistantship, since certain assistantships award students in-state tuition... Also, I need to learn more about the clinical placements. I applied there because I am very interested in the bilingual certificate. However, I want the opportunity to work in medical and rehab settings after school, so I need to figure out whether I feel UT would fully prepare me to do so.

Edited by jkathleen

So I know this was already answered in detail by wannabeSLP, but I thought I would add in my two cents too.

This is also my second round of applications (but I kinda consider it a 1.5 round). Last time I applied I did so to both 3 year programs and post bacc programs. Now I don't know your situation but I was applying directly out of my first undergrad with very little experience in the field. I had some volunteer work with special needs adults and children but I went to a Jesuit school and having that kind of experience was kinda expected to graduate. Plus it was not all that extensive. I was rejected from almost every three year school I applied to and rejected from a wait list to the other. But I got into all three post bacc programs I applied to and decided to attend what I thought would be the most academically rigorous and give me the best chance of getting into grad schools the second time around. I also used the opportunity to find out what exactly it was I wanted to do in the field and to boost my resume with more related volunteer opportunities and research experience. This also helped me get better letters of rec as 99% of them were from either my speech and hearing science teachers or my research supervisor. It also was helpful because it really forced me to realize not only what kind of learner I am but what type of school (more research or clinically based) would thrive in. I also re-took the GRE because while my first set of scores were decent (between 1000 and 1100) I knew I could do better ( I got over a 1200 the second time and could have done better but I over thought the math).

As I said I don't know your situation (if you are an out of field applicant or if you have all your pre-recs done) but here is what I would advise if you like me were an out of field applicant:

-- take some (or all) of your pre-recs. I know that it is not feasible for everyone to take a second bachelors degree's worth of credits but if you can at least get some of them done it will open up a world of opportunities for you. If you can take a second bachelors degree worth I would recommend doing so. The reason I say this is because it makes it so you can apply to any of the 200+ schools in the country not just the ones that have five classes as their pre-recs. I don't know much about USU but I know it is a popular online choice because it is inexpensive. Portland State also has a non-competitive application process for their post-bacc and accepts applications until June. But they are not online. If you can only take a handful of classes take them. But make sure you are taking the ones that the schools you want to apply to require you to have. I know UW requires a ton of credits to apply to their masters program and Northeastern only requires five to start the program.

-- get involved in related research. I worked at UWs Autism center for a year and even though the research was not directly related to speech pathology it did relate to my interest in the field. This was helpful because it showed me off as a more well-rounded student and while I don't want to go into research I understand how it works and the importance behind it. Plus it allows for a recommendation that is separate from just the standard academics ones.

-- do some volunteer work that is related to the field. You'd be surprised by the number of people looking for free labor. It does not necessarily even have to be with a SLP but if you are able to find something working with special needs kids or stroke survivors it will show a furthered interest in speech pathology. I know at least in my school district you can apply to be a teachers aid as long as you graduated from high school. You can typically request to work with special needs kids and often aids make pretty decent money. It would be a way to make money while you re-apply and get experience at the same time. Plus you'll likely get a good, unique recommendation out of it.

-- If you haven't already (or even if you have) shadow speech pathologists in various settings and get your 25 hours of observation in.

-- If you think you can do better on the GRE, re-take it. As wannabeSLP said, it's not a fun test but if you think it will make a difference the three months of suffering to study and the 1/3 of a day to take the test is worth it. Just drink a bottle of wine afterwards haha.

If you DO have a background in SLP then you could still do a number of these things. If you can re-take any class you got a C or below in (major related classes). And/or take related classes (like abnormal psych, developmental psych, neuroscience) at a local community college or online. Get involved in research and volunteer/paid work, shadow, re-take the GRE etc.

I agree with wannabeSLP that you also have to look at the schools you are applying to. While there is not really such a thing as a "safety school" in this field, some schools are harder to get into than others. Sometimes it isn't even the rankings of the schools that make them hard to get into. The Cal States are very low raked but due to a lack of funding and a high number of applicants they are a really tough ticket. Look at the results board (but take it with a HUGE grain of salt), see if the schools post ave GRE/GPAs of accepted students (or email them to ask if they don't) and see where you fit in. Keep in mind that many schools don't only look at grades and scores which is why adding volunteer and research experience is a must. You have to make yourself stand out and that is sometimes hard to do. But schools really seem to appreciate tenacity so IF you don't get in this year keep trying.

Now this is hopefully all moot. You still have several schools to hear back from and all you need is one acceptance. I understand the need to think three steps ahead but don't worry too much about next year yet. Wait and see and if you have to re-apply, you will make yourself a stronger applicant, re-apply and get into a school. The good thing about this field is that there are a TON of jobs out there and that is not going to change if you have to delay your grad school plans a year.

Thank you for your input! I am in fact an SLP/AUD major and will be graduating this spring. I have already thought about boosting my resume and have a few things lined up because I believe that was my weakness. I also thought about taking ASL as its something I've always wanted to do. I know a year off wouldn't be the end of the world but I'm also 24 so that kinda bothers me. Most schools in my area are extremely competitive because of the small class size and the fact that most people do not want to go away to school. Cost is also another big factor as the grad schools in the CUNY system are extremely affordable thus making them competitive even though they aren't the best programs ( they are pretty good though).

Hey Everyone!

I was accepted into Western Michigan and I am pretty excited! I was wondering if anyone had any information on the quality of the program (pros/cons etc)? I am from Ontario and unfortunately I live too far away to make a day trip down! Any information would be really appreciated!

Also, has anyone heard from Wayne state? I am getting very nervous as I haven' t heard anything yet :wacko:

No worries, I'm sure good news will come your way soon!

I'm not really sure what my top choice is, my thoughts while applying was that I'd be happy if I got into any school at all! I'm ecstatic about U of W, but like everyone else, I'm caught whether I should spend the extra tens of thousands versus a cheaper in-state school. How about you?

Cal State Fullerton. Its where I did my undergrad. Also, since Im married with a 5 year old, I dont really have the luxury of traveling out of state (or even out of Orange County) for school at all!

You've already been accepted, so I can understand why previous posters said that it probably wouldn't matter much. Personally, however, I think you have more to lose than gain from bringing your mother, since you could potentially be making a first impression on the people who will have an important influence over your life for the next few years. I'm sure that the people at the university will be friendly and suspect that they have encountered this before, but they might also think that you are immature or need hand-holding (which I'm sure is not true).

When I went to the Northwestern open house, a few students' mothers came on the tours with them. At the social event after the open house, a lot of people mentioned that they thought it sent a bad impression. Afterwards, I mentioned the situation to my parents (a teacher and a professor) and they agreed that they would not look favorably upon a graduate student who brought their parents to anything except an event along the lines of a move-in day or social reception.

Though we rely on our parents for advice and support throughout our lives (I am in my mid-30s and have been consulting my parents throughout this process), graduate students are fully-independent adults. We should be able to interact with university educators without our parents present, and we should also be able to synthesize and analyze the information from a school visit after we have left, so that our parents and other important people in our lives can give us advice.

That's my two cents...

I completely agree with mammalian -- couldn't have put it better myself.

Edited by Klsr2thedge

Did anyone else not hear from U of South Florida yet? Getting nervous over here... thanks! :)

Have you tried sending them an email?

Perhaps you are waitlisted?

Good luck, whatever the situation is!

Feel free to PM me.

Hey all I was wondering have any of you applied and/ or know anything about Appalachian state and western Carolina's program... I have applied to both but was unable to visit their programs. On paper they seem like nice programs and I've spoken to some of the faculty at each but I know just because they seem ok doesn't necessarily mean anything ... I learned this the hard way after visiting another progrm Which I hated after my visit ...thanks for any help and good luck on another week of notifications !

St. Xavier applicants, did you guys get an email today?? I have a friend who applied there also, and she says that she got an email with login information and it says that the admission status is up. She can't checked now because she is in class and it won't open on her phone (she texted me about this), so it's not 100% that it is up, but it sounds that way!

Anyways, the reason that I am kind of freaking out is that I didn't get an email, so I was curious if you guys had gotten it.

I didn't get an email, but I have some sort of login for them I'm gonna check it out nowww

St. Xavier applicants, did you guys get an email today?? I have a friend who applied there also, and she says that she got an email with login information and it says that the admission status is up. She can't checked now because she is in class and it won't open on her phone (she texted me about this), so it's not 100% that it is up, but it sounds that way!

Anyways, the reason that I am kind of freaking out is that I didn't get an email, so I was curious if you guys had gotten it.

I didn't get an email either. I checked the admissions status on CLAWS, and it still only says Application Complete. Seems kinda early to hear back from SXU, though.

Hey Everyone!

I was accepted into Western Michigan and I am pretty excited! I was wondering if anyone had any information on the quality of the program (pros/cons etc)? I am from Ontario and unfortunately I live too far away to make a day trip down! Any information would be really appreciated!

Also, has anyone heard from Wayne state? I am getting very nervous as I haven' t heard anything yet :wacko:

One of my professors went to Western for her undergrad and spoke highly of her experience. I applied there because she spoke about how involved one of the instructors, Sandra Glista, is with aphasia and aphasia advocacy, which are interests of mine. Someone on the results forum last year mentioned their program is great for those interested in working in school settings and with children.

Did you go to their open house in February? I wish I did, because the acceptance email didn't mention anything about an open house. Did anyone on here attend?

Has anyone heard anything from Boston U or Northeastern? Seems like I haven't seen even one post about them...

Someone from New York posted on the results board saying they got an acceptance letter in the mail from BU. So keep an eye out in the mail. I live across the country so I'm not getting my hopes up for a couple more days.

Edited by SLP-Allie

Hey all I was wondering have any of you applied and/ or know anything about Appalachian state and western Carolina's program... I have applied to both but was unable to visit their programs. On paper they seem like nice programs and I've spoken to some of the faculty at each but I know just because they seem ok doesn't necessarily mean anything ... I learned this the hard way after visiting another progrm Which I hated after my visit ...thanks for any help and good luck on another week of notifications !

I know a girl who went to Appalachian State, and she did not recommend it. She said they were very limited on placements and students had little to no input. Overall she just felt it was a bit disorganized and like they didn't care that much about the students. But, she did graduate and moved away and has a job she loves, so you'll still become an SLP, just maybe not the best grad school experience.

Chrysanthemum,

I noticed you applied to ETSU. Have you not heard back from them as well? I saw acceptances posted on the results board early last week already, but there's hasn't been any mention of waitlists or rejections yet. Just curious if you know what's up.

I saw someone above mention pooling knowledge about schools, and it sounded like a fantastic idea! So, in that vein, I'm wondering if anyone has any wisdom to share about the University of Washington (particularly the MedSLP program), or Seattle more generally. I applied to UW as a long-shot, but somehow managed to get accepted! Part of me feels like I should jump at the chance to go to UW before they realize they made a mistake offering me admission, but I'm also encountering a lot of doubts that I hadn't really thought about before I knew it was actually an option to attend their program. The main doubt is cost, or more specifically, whether the specialized nature of the program justifies the additional cost, and/or whether it might end up being a drawback in some ways (perhaps it's TOO limiting to cut out the school-based parts of the graduate program?). I'm also entertaining some negative thoughts about the difficulties of living in Seattle, especially when compared to smaller communities, like, say Forest Grove, OR (I've also been accepted at Pacific), or even Portland, where I am now. I've heard a fair amount about the high cost of living, crappy traffic, etc. in Seattle, and I wonder if those difficulties on top of a rigorous graduate program would feel like an unnecessary burden when I could get as good an education at a school where I wouldn't have to sit in traffic, fight for parking, and pay $900 for a studio apartment. But of course, as soon as I start to think this way, I swing back to thinking about what a fantastic opportunity it would be to attend such a great program, and how I should embrace the chance to explore a new city while I'm still young and as mobile as I'll likely ever be.

So, if anyone has any thoughts or insights, I'd LOVE to hear. I've scoured UW's site for all the information I can find about the program itself, but I feel like I can't only trust what are essentially the school's promotional materials. I plan to drive up for a visit before April 15, but until then, I know it would be helpful for me (and probably anyone else considering this program) to hear any impressions people have picked up about UW or Seattle. Is anyone else on here considering the MedSLP program?

I lived in Seattle for a little while right next to the UW campus. Although it was more expensive than what I was used to coming from Arizona, it wasn't completely unaffordable. I payed a little over 500 a month to share a two bedroom apartment with a roommate that was a short walk from campus. The apartment wasn't anything nice, but it was safe, and clean enough. When I first got there I subleased in a basement apartment of a huge house. The rooms were absolutely tiny, and there were 4 people living down there. Again though, it was clean and safe and minimally expensive. If you live that close to campus you won't even have to worry about traffic. My biggest problem was parking! If you plan on living further away though, then definitely beware of the traffic! UW is right next to downtown, so if you need to get in during rush hour it will take you a while. The public transportation there was great though. Busses get to bypass all the traffic, so definitely a smart choice if you are commuting. Beyond that the city is absolutely amazing! And the campus is beautiful. The only reason I moved was because I couldn't stand the weather, but if your already from Portland I'm sure you won't have a problem :)

Chrysanthemum,

I noticed you applied to ETSU. Have you not heard back from them as well? I saw acceptances posted on the results board early last week already, but there's hasn't been any mention of waitlists or rejections yet. Just curious if you know what's up.

I haven't heard anything either and it's kind of freaking me out :(

I'm taking it as a bad sign, but that could just be my inner pessimist. I haven't found the courage to email them yet...

I lived in Seattle for a little while right next to the UW campus. Although it was more expensive than what I was used to coming from Arizona, it wasn't completely unaffordable. I payed a little over 500 a month to share a two bedroom apartment with a roommate that was a short walk from campus. The apartment wasn't anything nice, but it was safe, and clean enough. When I first got there I subleased in a basement apartment of a huge house. The rooms were absolutely tiny, and there were 4 people living down there. Again though, it was clean and safe and minimally expensive. If you live that close to campus you won't even have to worry about traffic. My biggest problem was parking! If you plan on living further away though, then definitely beware of the traffic! UW is right next to downtown, so if you need to get in during rush hour it will take you a while. The public transportation there was great though. Busses get to bypass all the traffic, so definitely a smart choice if you are commuting. Beyond that the city is absolutely amazing! And the campus is beautiful. The only reason I moved was because I couldn't stand the weather, but if your already from Portland I'm sure you won't have a problem :)

Would you recommend bringing a car? Or can you survive on public transportation alone?

Did anyone get a text from a professor at Rush? I just got a text congratulating me on my acceptance and asking to call.

nope. i didn't. they're probably trying to get you to accept. or offering a scholarship. =) i remember your stats being very impressive. do tell us how the phone call goes.

Edited by trina

Would you recommend bringing a car? Or can you survive on public transportation alone?

I know you didn't ask me this but I'm going to respond anyways haha.

It all depends on where you want to live and where your placements are. I was glad that I had a car despite not using it all that much. I lived walking distance to UW and was two - five blocks away from the grocery store, church, school and the gym. However it was nice to have a car when I needed to go on a big shopping trip or to a friends apartment in the evening (the bus in the evening can be a little sketch). I was also glad I had it when I was done with my post bacc and was working at a pre-school (I had covered secure parking at work and school though so that helped). I also imagine that it is helpful when you have placements off of UWs campus as it will allow for you to have more options when it comes to placements as you will not be restricted to places where you can get to and from easily on the bus.

However, parking is expensive and a pain in the butt. Especially downtown and around UW. Bussing to and from school is most likely the better option. If you were to live bussing/walking/biking distance to UW and everything else you may need (grocery stores, pharmacy etc) I would say you probably don't need a car BUT you should invest in a zipcar membership. There are a ton of zipcar lots in Seattle. I have never used zipcar but it was recommended to me by one of the professors I spoke to at an open house I went to (I have a car but if I end up in Boston or NY don't intend on taking it with me). That way you won't be limited in terms of you placement options. While public transport in Seattle is certainly better than it is in LA it is no where near as far reaching or efficient as Boston, NY, London etc. Another option is to not take a car the first semester or two (when you will have on campus placements) and then either lease or bring up your car once you start doing off campus placements.

To be honest with you, neither option is perfect and you kind of have to suss out the situation once you know where you will be living. Sorry this wasn't a yes or no answer... :unsure:

If you live close enough to campus I really don't think you'll need a car. I needed one because I had to commute to Everette everyday to work (30 miles each way). I'm also the type of person that likes to go exploring a lot, so I really enjoyed having a car to get around the area (and to IKEA!) It would definitely eliminate the whole parking dilemma and the high gas prices up there if you didn't have one though.