SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know how many people decline offers from SDSU? Trying to see if there's any reason I should exert more energy thinking about this.

Don't know about the numbers but I can imagine that out of state tuition might be a deciding factor, particularly if people were accepted to in-state programs or other programs with funding. Did you check the results board to see if people got off the waitlist in previous years?

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know how many people decline offers from SDSU? Trying to see if there's any reason I should exert more energy thinking about this.

I'm probably going to decline SDSU and attend UT Austin instead, hopefully that opens up a spot for whoever is on the wl. I'm a CSU student too, and I'm really tired of the tuition increase and I'm quite interested in the labs offered at UTA. BTW, do you know what's going on with TC? They are really slow according to what they initially promised, but someone from the TC Facebook group called the department, we're probably going to hear back in early April...=(

I feel very disappointed about all three rejections from the medical programs, even though I keep telling myself, it's nothing about where you go to school but how you learn/practice as a future clinician... I would love to work in the hospital/rehab, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be as prepared as other SLPs who got in medical SLP programs. Do you guys know does it really make a difference whether you attended an program specialized in bilingual education or medical rehabilitation?

Also if you attended the grad school elsewhere, as long as you passed the praxis and have your master degree and CFY, you should be able to apply for license in every state right? I want to come back and practice in CA.

Anyone else on the same boat?

I'm probably going to decline SDSU and attend UT Austin instead, hopefully that opens up a spot for whoever is on the wl. I'm a CSU student too, and I'm really tired of the tuition increase and I'm quite interested in the labs offered at UTA. BTW, do you know what's going on with TC? They are really slow according to what they initially promised, but someone from the TC Facebook group called the department, we're probably going to hear back in early April...=(

I feel very disappointed about all three rejections from the medical programs, even though I keep telling myself, it's nothing about where you go to school but how you learn/practice as a future clinician... I would love to work in the hospital/rehab, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be as prepared as other SLPs who got in medical SLP programs. Do you guys know does it really make a difference whether you attended an program specialized in bilingual education or medical rehabilitation?

Also if you attended the grad school elsewhere, as long as you passed the praxis and have your master degree and CFY, you should be able to apply for license in every state right? I want to come back and practice in CA.

Gasp - Jennifer you heard from SJSU already!? I haven't heard a peep. Congrats on your acceptance, even if you aren't going! UT is supposed to be great. SJ is probably the only one I *might* consider over SD, but I don't know much about it. Do you happen to know much about the programs as compared to each other?

You definitely do not have to go to a highly medically focused program in order to work in the medical side of SLP. However, if you know you want to work in a medical setting, make sure you advocate for yourself from the beginning and try to get as many medical placements as your school will allow. While there is a huge need for SLPs in the schools (depending on your location), the hospital jobs are often harder to come by, especially for the CFY (I know the city I live in is pretty highly saturated for medical SLPs, positions are very competitive and filled quickly). If you are going after a job in a hospital but only have more educational settings on your resume, you'll likely get passed over for someone with more relevant experience.

If you know you're going to relocate back to California after, it could be worth it to go to school there, as I know lots of the hospitals around here tend to hire CFs who have done placements with them in grad school as they already know their skills and it's less of a risk, lower learning-curve. Just a thought to consider.

Knowing at this point that you want to work in the medical side puts you ahead of the curve, as you can make it known from the beginning that you would prefer those sorts of placements. Maybe chat with the clinical directors at the schools you've been accepted to and ask them honestly how much experience in medical settings you can expect to get, how often they get clients with disorders you're interested in in their in-house clinic, etc.

Don't know about the numbers but I can imagine that out of state tuition might be a deciding factor, particularly if people were accepted to in-state programs or other programs with funding. Did you check the results board to see if people got off the waitlist in previous years?

Yup, looks like there were about 2 or 3 people who said they got off the waitlist. I imagine not too many people turn down an offer from them, considering it's a great school AND with cheaper tuition. :(

Haha I don't know what my position on the waitlist is, but thank you! I'm looking towards medical settings as well, and I'm slowly coming to accept letting go of UW's MedSLP and going to a state school. Like SLP-Allie said, there are plenty of people who go to non-med focused programs and they end up in hospitals doing just fine. It's more of a pride issue for me but I'll have to learn how to kill it for the sake of reality :P Btw, I also saw that super-long post in the TC Facebook group - looks like we're gonna have to wait a bit more.

Edited by leesta

. BTW, do you know what's going on with TC? They are really slow according to what they initially promised, but someone from the TC Facebook group called the department, we're probably going to hear back in early April...=(

I was told the end of March when I contacted TC. I think it's so unfair that some schools keep us waiting so long! We give them plenty of time to decide, but they think it's ok to tell us in April when we must make a final decision by April 15? Frustrating.

Congrats to you, too! Maybe we should set up a Goole+ conference the first week of April to share info on the programs...? Have you visited either school yet?

Hi Kathleen! I have visited MGH and might be able to answer some of your questions. I also plan on attending the open house next week, and I'm going to try and visit Vanderbilt the week after. I'm having a really tough time deciding between the two.

A chat conference sounds like a great idea if you're up for it. I would just have to learn how to use google+!

I did not initially intend to post in this forum, but I'm confused and would like some advice!

Like jkathleen and SLP33, I was accepted at both Vanderbilt and MGH, and I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two. Vanderbilt offered me a 50% tuition scholarship, and MGH didn't give me any funding. However, I eventually want to end up in the Boston area, and if I went to MGH, I'd make more connections in Boston. Does anyone have any advice? I assumed that I wouldn't get into Vanderbilt because it is such a competitive program, so I had my heart set on Boston. Now I'm vacillating between the two programs.

Help??

Hey excitedSLP! Congrats on the scholarship to Vandy! I'm still waiting on my admissions package, and having a very difficult time making any decisions between them until I visit. I have already visited MGH, so I might be able to answer your questions. Private message them to me and I'd be happy to answer whatever I can.

Not that my opinions means anything, but... if you really want to build your career in the Boston area, then I would attend MGH. You'll make more connections through the institute and your externship, especially if you wanted to work for Mass Gen. However, a 50% scholarship is significant, and you're looking at owing an additional $60,000 in loans when you leave school if you don't go to Vanderbilt. So if money is no concern, then I'd say go with MGH and start building your life there.

Has anyone else who applied for postbac at UW heard anything?

I hope we hear back today or tomorrow! I can't stand another weekend of waiting! haha

They said we'd hear by today, but I haven't heard anything either! Hopefully tomorrow :)

Is anyone attending the IU accepted students open house this weekend?

I am heading there and looking forward to it, I have heard good things about IU, and the town.

Should be busy in the bars downtown tonight with IU and Kentucky playing in the sweet sixteen of NCAA.

Hi Guys,

I know from the results survey that a lot of people heard back from Temple and Pitt in the past two weeks, does anyone think they're going? I'm currently trying to decide between Temple, Maryland and Pitt. Temple and Pitt are both in-state for me and therefore definitely less expensive, but I really like Maryland and the D.C. area. Has anyone heard back about graduate assistantships with the department from Maryland? Or does anyone have any opinions on the three programs? April 15th is so soon and I'm having a really hard time figuring out how I'm going to decide.

Thanks and congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

Hi Guys,

I know from the results survey that a lot of people heard back from Temple and Pitt in the past two weeks, does anyone think they're going? I'm currently trying to decide between Temple, Maryland and Pitt. Temple and Pitt are both in-state for me and therefore definitely less expensive, but I really like Maryland and the D.C. area. Has anyone heard back about graduate assistantships with the department from Maryland? Or does anyone have any opinions on the three programs? April 15th is so soon and I'm having a really hard time figuring out how I'm going to decide.

Thanks and congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

I declined offers from Maryland and Pitt, but was definitely considering going to Pitt. My boss went there for SLP and absolutely loved it and she has had a very successful career on the medical side of SLP, as well as in research. I visited Maryland and was pretty underwhelmed, but that was just me. Honestly I think if you got into a program as highly regarded and great as Pitt AND you get in-state tuition so it's affordable, I would definitely go that route, but of course I don't know all of the factors going into your decision. I know absolutely nothing about Temple so I can't really offer any opinion on that one. Just my $0.02 :).

Good luck with your decision making! Sounds like you have great options so I'm sure you'll be very happy wherever you end up...it's a tough decision to make but you're in a fortunate position to have options!

Wow looks like it's been a pretty busy week! I got back from a 7-day cruise this morning to find that I had been accepted to both Vanderbilt and University of Florida while I was gone! And from looking through the past week on this thread it sounds like lots of others have gotten into some great programs, too! Congrats to everyone...I'm so glad this whole process is almost over! Now I'm getting excited about the next (more exciting) step of choosing a program and making the big move! Is anyone else leaning towards/definitely decided on Vanderbilt? I'm down to Vandy and UNC Chapel Hill right now, but leaning pretty heavily toward Vandy and would love to start talking to potential future classmates!

Is anyone attending the IU accepted students open house this weekend?

I am heading there and looking forward to it, I have heard good things about IU, and the town.

Should be busy in the bars downtown tonight with IU and Kentucky playing in the sweet sixteen of NCAA.

Please let us know what you think of the city and the program!!!! :D

I declined offers from Maryland and Pitt, but was definitely considering going to Pitt. My boss went there for SLP and absolutely loved it and she has had a very successful career on the medical side of SLP, as well as in research. I visited Maryland and was pretty underwhelmed, but that was just me. Honestly I think if you got into a program as highly regarded and great as Pitt AND you get in-state tuition so it's affordable, I would definitely go that route, but of course I don't know all of the factors going into your decision. I know absolutely nothing about Temple so I can't really offer any opinion on that one. Just my $0.02 :).

Good luck with your decision making! Sounds like you have great options so I'm sure you'll be very happy wherever you end up...it's a tough decision to make but you're in a fortunate position to have options!

I definitely appreciate your input. I actually go to Pitt now, and I know it's a great program... but I'm a little hesitant about spending 2 more years with the same professors and in the same city and same classrooms as I spent the last 4. I also like that both Temple and Maryland have in-house clinics. I went to Maryland last year for an open house but didn't really have much to compare it to at the time. Was there anything in particular that was underwhelming to you? Or was it more about the program in general?

I definitely appreciate your input. I actually go to Pitt now, and I know it's a great program... but I'm a little hesitant about spending 2 more years with the same professors and in the same city and same classrooms as I spent the last 4. I also like that both Temple and Maryland have in-house clinics. I went to Maryland last year for an open house but didn't really have much to compare it to at the time. Was there anything in particular that was underwhelming to you? Or was it more about the program in general?

Ah, that makes more sense. I didn't even apply to my undergrad school (CU Boulder) for basically the same reason--I just wanted a change from the last 4 years. I definitely understand wanting to experience a different program and I think it can be really beneficial to get a new perspective, teaching style, etc. during grad school.

Maryland puts out lots of great research and the placement opportunities there are awesome. Being right between Baltimore and DC means you have awesome externship options in within a reasonable commute. But they didn't seem to have much of an emphasis on the areas I'm most interested in and I was underwhelmed by the in-house clinic and facilities. I also didn't get the best vibe from the faculty members. Granted, it was during an open house day which I'm sure they get really sick of doing, but they really seemed like they couldn't get out of there fast enough which kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It just didn't click with me personally I guess. They also didn't offer as much funding as I got at other places and the cost of living in College Park isn't particularly cheap so the cost aspect was a factor, too. If you visited and liked it though, don't let my opinion sway you as these decisions are very personal and what I'm looking for in a program could be completely different than what you want...I don't think there are really better or worse programs, it comes down to what fits best with you and what you want to get out the two years, if that makes sense.