SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I have NO idea whether to pick Saint Rose or Plattsburgh. I did my undergrad and loved it...the program, the professors. I'm just tired of the town, and am ready to leave. Saint Rose on the other hand, I have only heard negative things about. I have heard the professors are unwilling to help students from at least five individuals. I do not want to make a choice and regret it! The only reason I would choose Saint Rose is because it is my hometown. I miss my family, and my long distance boyfriend.

Hey everyone!

Is there anyone that is leaning towards or has decided to go to UW- Madison?? I attended the open house and loved it, so it would be great to start talking with potential fellow classmates!

Hi Kaitjg,

I e-mailed Ms. Vinson this past wed/thurs (can't remember exactly which day) and she e-mailed me back Friday morning saying decisions were being e-mailed out Friday and Monday, so lets just hope that we (if you haven't received an e-mail yet) hear back from them by Monday. Goodluck! :)

Thanks, I was going to email tomorrow if I still hadn't heard anything but I guess I'll wait one more day. Good luck to you too!

I am facing a dilemma...

I found out today that I was waitlisted to the school that I really want to go to :( The letter said that we wouldn't find out more until after April 20th...and just based on the results board from last year, I'm guessing that I won't actually hear back from them until later than that. Most of the decision deadlines for the schools that I have been accepted to are April 15th...buuuut UT Dallas (which is probably my second choice) has no deadline. Although there is no deadline, I think that it might reeeeally be stretching it if I go into May and still don't give them a decision. The last time that I was in contact with someone at Dallas, I said that I was waiting until I had heard back from all of my schools before I made my decision...but like I just said, May just seems like too long to wait. Do you guys think that, since they don't have a deadline, it would be okay for me to just stay quiet about my decision until I hear back from SXU?? Or should I email and explain my situation? (but then I feel like it would be awkward if I ended up going there, since they would know that I was only there because my first plan hadn't worked out) Or should I accept with UT Dallas and then take it back later if I get into SXU? They never mentioned anything to me about a deposit...does that mean that there isn't one, or is that typically not brought up until after the decision is made? ooooor, just tell me honestly if you think that it would be best for me to give up on SXU?

I really don't know what to do...and I know that I have options and I shouldn't complain, but I can't help it....I'm sooooo upset that I didn't get into SXU :(

I am facing a dilemma...

I found out today that I was waitlisted to the school that I really want to go to :( The letter said that we wouldn't find out more until after April 20th...and just based on the results board from last year, I'm guessing that I won't actually hear back from them until later than that. Most of the decision deadlines for the schools that I have been accepted to are April 15th...buuuut UT Dallas (which is probably my second choice) has no deadline. Although there is no deadline, I think that it might reeeeally be stretching it if I go into May and still don't give them a decision. The last time that I was in contact with someone at Dallas, I said that I was waiting until I had heard back from all of my schools before I made my decision...but like I just said, May just seems like too long to wait. Do you guys think that, since they don't have a deadline, it would be okay for me to just stay quiet about my decision until I hear back from SXU?? Or should I email and explain my situation? (but then I feel like it would be awkward if I ended up going there, since they would know that I was only there because my first plan hadn't worked out) Or should I accept with UT Dallas and then take it back later if I get into SXU? They never mentioned anything to me about a deposit...does that mean that there isn't one, or is that typically not brought up until after the decision is made? ooooor, just tell me honestly if you think that it would be best for me to give up on SXU?

I really don't know what to do...and I know that I have options and I shouldn't complain, but I can't help it....I'm sooooo upset that I didn't get into SXU :(

Normally schools that don't have deadlines do so because they want to make sure that whoever accepts their offer actually ends up attending their program. I think that if they have no deadline it'd be perfectly fine to wait until you hear back from SXU. I wouldn't email them to explain the situation, that would just make it awkward if you ended up attending their program as you said. Just my $0.02 :P

I am facing a dilemma...

If I were you, I would call UT Dallas to find out for sure about the deadline/deposit issue. You wouldn't have to tell them they are a second choice, you could just say something like, "I was thrilled to be accepted, and I didn't see anything about a deadline to respond and I was wondering if that means there is no deadline. I'm not quite ready to accept yet but when I do, will I need to pay a deposit and how much will it be?" That way you can verify that you can wait until May to give your decision but not have to tell them why you want to wait that long. Good luck with St. Xavier University! I hope it works out.

I am facing a dilemma...

Have you talked to SXU about the wait list process there? When I visited they made it seem like everyone who is not initially admitted is put on the wait list. Has any one been rejected or know how it works there?

Was accepted to loyola! Anyone else going here?

hi there, congrats! I am probably going there for the 2 year program, you? Do you plan on going to the admitted students reception? I won't be able to make it because it's a little bit of a ride for me.

Have you talked to SXU about the wait list process there? When I visited they made it seem like everyone who is not initially admitted is put on the wait list. Has any one been rejected or know how it works there?

I just talked to someone at SXU...I didn't ask if everyone is on the waitlist (but that seems to be the case, just based on the results board).

For anyone here who was wondering about their waitlist- I was told that the typical pattern is that around 17 people accept from the first group of acceptances, and then after they they sent a second round of acceptances, and sometimes even a third round. Unless we are in one of those other rounds of acceptances, we won't hear anything until we are offically rejected. The first round should go out right around April 20th.

hi there, congrats! I am probably going there for the 2 year program, you? Do you plan on going to the admitted students reception? I won't be able to make it because it's a little bit of a ride for me.

Hey! Congrats to you too! I'll be going for the three year ... Yea Im going to go it's a 2 1/2-3 hr hike for me since I'm in pa but I wanna head out and start scoping at the area for places... It's so surreal I can't believe Ill be moving soon... Also do u understand what happens with funding/ loans and when well hear back?

I would love some advice. How much do you think class size affects the graduate school experience? One of my schools over accepted applicants and it now looks like the incoming class will be 35+ students. And this is combined with another program that will have 25+ students. So in some of my classes I would have around 60+ students. That seems ridiculous to me. However, the program is in my current city and I would have to move to attend any other program. All the other schools I was accepted to have around 20-25 students total. What do you guys think?

Hi JoH! Thank you SO much for the info! WOW! What a process...a writing sample in addition! Thank you for confirming that everyone was from California. What did you think of the interview process?

The interview wasn't bad! I was pretty nervous beforehand but it was really informal and they made me feel really comfortable. They asked a couple general questions and then gave a written question and asked that I give my opinion (just so see how well my oral communication skills are.)

I would love some advice. How much do you think class size affects the graduate school experience? One of my schools over accepted applicants and it now looks like the incoming class will be 35+ students. And this is combined with another program that will have 25+ students. So in some of my classes I would have around 60+ students. That seems ridiculous to me. However, the program is in my current city and I would have to move to attend any other program. All the other schools I was accepted to have around 20-25 students total. What do you guys think?

If you don't mind, can you share what program overaccepted applicants? thanks

Hey! Congrats to you too! I'll be going for the three year ... Yea Im going to go it's a 2 1/2-3 hr hike for me since I'm in pa but I wanna head out and start scoping at the area for places... It's so surreal I can't believe Ill be moving soon... Also do u understand what happens with funding/ loans and when well hear back?

I was wondering the same thing and I have no idea. I was looking at the results page and people started talking about assistantship in April so maybe sometime in April? Or maybe they found out in their acceptance letter, it's not clear. I guess you can ask during the reception because I'm sure everyone is wondering about funding as well.

Personally, I would lean towards the programs with fewer students. If the reason the first program has so many students is simply because they overaccepted, then the program/classes/clinical placements might not be designed for or used to so many students which could affect your experience even more than programs that are built to accept that many students. It could also hinder the amount of one on one interaction between faculty and students, which I think is something that's really important in grad school...and clinical placements might even be cramped which definitely wouldn't be any fun. I'm not sure how opposed you are to moving (I know I actually WANT to move :P ), so if it really is a huge factor in your decision i don't think 60 students is really a HUGE deal..I know some programs do admit a lot more students than others, but I have always favored the smaller programs because I think in our field the attention we get as grad students makes a huge difference! Just my two cents! Good luck with your decision! :)

Edited by SLP007