SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

What kind of SPED experience does your husband have? SPED Teacher? Paraprofessional? Counseling? I have three years in SPED as a credentialed teacher (moderate/severe) - 1 year non-public school for adolescents on the spectrum, 2 years as SDC teacher for a large urban district. I'm still worried that I won't get into any Cal. state schools (i.e., SJSU, SDSU, CSUEB) because they have over 200 applicants and about 30-40 people they can afford to accept. EEEK! I'm also considering the UW Postbac program, which I've also heard is very competitive. SLP is simply not an easy field to transition into.

Hi there - sorry, I stopped checking this board as frequently as the term wore on. He has 3 years experience as a paraeducator/professional/staff assistant (his titles have varied, the job is all the same) with a variety of populations - moderate/severe, behavioral, autism one-on-one, etc. If you are considering a post-bacc program, I highly recommend looking into Portland State's program - it is noncompetitive, and there are several people in my husband's program who actually uprooted themselves from Seattle after failed attempts to get into UW's post-bacc program and moved down to Portland so they could just get the pre-reqs out of the way. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be back to checking the chatter here now that we're getting down to the deadline. :)

Hey everyone. Seems like this thread is a lot less busy than it was at this time last year, which hopefully means there isnt too much stress building up around the application process....yet!

Anyway, just want to put it out there, I'm a first year at Vanderbilt, and would be happy to answer questions about the program if anyone is considering applying here and feels like they need some additional input. Would definitely recommend coming out for a visit, if its feasible for you. Seeing the facilities here first-hand is really what sold me last year, and it also helped to get some feedback from current/former students.

Also, just a word of advice: Really look into the resources available at different programs, especially If you're interested in the medical side of the field (like I am), and thinking about applying to schools like UC Boulder or UT Austin (like I did). I applied to both based on their solid reputations and ideal locations, but after speaking with students and delving deeper into their curriculums/facilities, realized that they really place a much heavier emphasis on working with pediatric/school based populations, which is great, just not for those who are looking to get as much medical exposure as possible during their grad experience.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by agregory

I applied to CSUN's online Master's SLP Program. I completed their SLPA program fall 2011. I am so nervous to find out if I get in or not. My CD gpa is a 3.72 and overall is a 3.33 I originally got my BS in Business - Marketing at CSULB). I was an athlete at CSULB as well (even though that probably means nothing). I also have been working as a sub SLPA since Sept this year. I took my GRE and not excited about my scores V- 145, Q- 150, writing 4.0. I had 0 hours of sleep the night before the test due to my anxiety. I met with the coordinator at CSUN and she said everything looks fine. But now I am second guessing everything and am so worried I will not get in. I got in their SLPA program no problem but I am not sure if that was very competitive or not.

Hi everyone, looking for a quick bit of advice regarding CSDCAS from those of you who already have your apps in/are doing this a second time around.

One of my husband's LOR writers strongly suggested that he apply to a program we had already ruled out due to out-of-state tuition rates. This school uses CSDCAS and has a due date of January 1st, 2013 for all application materials. My husband has attended 6 different schools in 3 different states, so it was impossible to actually hand each registrar the individualized forms that are supposed to be included with the transcripts (as CSDCAS so helpfully suggests you do). Our solution was to have all the transcripts sent to our home address, where he was going to include all the forms and all the transcripts in one envelope and then overnight it to CSDCAS in hopes that it would reach them and be processed on time. He just noticed today that the FAQ states that a delay in processing can occur if the transcripts aren't addressed to CSDCAS directly. I can't imagine he's the only person who has had this sort of experience - any advice here? If the transcripts and forms for all 6 schools are mailed in one giant packet directly to CSDCAS, will that be a problem? 

Thanks for any help anyone can give. 

Hey everyone-

I'm applying to 8 programs (Portland State, Pacific University, Chapman, Univ of Redlands, MGH, Rush, Western Michigan, & Pitt) I'm in sort of a unique situation in that my husband is also applying to PA programs this cycle. We are attempting to get into schools in the same city, even though that seems like it might be tricky.

My GRE scores didn't turn out exactly stellar (I dread general standardized tests) but I have a 3.95 GPA is my post-bacc speech program. I'm super nervous about turning in my applications! Keeping my fingers crossed... 

Hi everyone, looking for a quick bit of advice regarding CSDCAS from those of you who already have your apps in/are doing this a second time around.   One of my husband's LOR writers strongly suggested that he apply to a program we had already ruled out due to out-of-state tuition rates. This school uses CSDCAS and has a due date of January 1st, 2013 for all application materials. My husband has attended 6 different schools in 3 different states, so it was impossible to actually hand each registrar the individualized forms that are supposed to be included with the transcripts (as CSDCAS so helpfully suggests you do). Our solution was to have all the transcripts sent to our home address, where he was going to include all the forms and all the transcripts in one envelope and then overnight it to CSDCAS in hopes that it would reach them and be processed on time. He just noticed today that the FAQ states that a delay in processing can occur if the transcripts aren't addressed to CSDCAS directly. I can't imagine he's the only person who has had this sort of experience - any advice here? If the transcripts and forms for all 6 schools are mailed in one giant packet directly to CSDCAS, will that be a problem?    Thanks for any help anyone can give. 
Edited by TalkItOut_9

I attended three schools in three different states, so what I did was request transcripts be mailed to CSDCAS directly, with "CSDCAS ID: [my ID#]" as the second line of the address. They received them all. I don't know if it's too late to request transcripts be shipped overnight from your schools.

This is from the CSDCAS FAQ:

Q: What is an official transcript?

A: An official transcript is one that is issued from the Office of the Registrar, contains an official seal or signature of the registrar and a watermark, and is sent to CSDCAS directly from the Registrar in a sealed envelope. Transcripts must be marked as issued to CSDCAS, not the applicant. If transcripts are marked issued to student, “Issued To:” or “Send To:” the applicant's name and address, or indicates the transcript was picked up by the applicant, it renders the transcript INVALID and CSDCAS is NOT authorized to accept it. If CSDCAS receives an unofficial transcript, it will be rejected and CSDCAS will notify you to resend an official copy.

Hello from SoCal! Any other applicants for the CA schools for Fall '13? :D

I will be applying to 4 in Socal and 2 in norcal. I'm hoping I get accepted to at least one in each region. :wacko:  I would preferably not want to move out, but if the situation calls for it, i'll have to.

Where will you be applying?

agregory, not to be annoying, but what were your stats/experience?

I'm applying to Boulder.

Hey, sorry just realized my last response didnt post correctly.

No problem with the stats. They were as follows:

GPA:

Unrelated BA in 2005 - 3.55

Post-bac SPHR coursework in 2011 - 4.0

GRE:

Verbal - 162

Quant - 153

MISC:

1 year of volunteer experience conducting newborn hearing screenings at local hospital. 5 years of work experience in an unrelated field in a managerial capacity. Diverse letters of rec (two professors, boss, and volunteer manager, who was an audiologist).

Hope this is useful.

Wow, I just stumbled onto this site. It's so nice to see that I'm not the only one stressing about grad school apps!  :)
I just stumbled onto it as well! I am so incredibly stressed! What schools are you applying to?

I just stumbled onto it as well! I am so incredibly stressed! What schools are you applying to?

Daisy, I'm applying to UVA and Boulder as well--I'm trying not to stress so much since my app is as strong as it can be, but there are SO MANY applicants, especially for Boulder.

Good luck to everyone!

I attended three schools in three different states, so what I did was request transcripts be mailed to CSDCAS directly, with "CSDCAS ID: [my ID#]" as the second line of the address. They received them all. I don't know if it's too late to request transcripts be shipped overnight from your schools.

This is from the CSDCAS FAQ:

Thanks for your response. It's obviously too late now for the January 1st school, but there's another CSDCAS application that is pending - how did you handle those specific forms not being included with the transcripts? Simply putting your CSDCAS ID# was enough?

Yes, it was. The form is so that they can scan a barcode that will ensure your ID # gets linked to the correct transcripts. Just make sure you enter it correctly in the mailing address. I know of a few other people who ordered transcripts this way.

Hi Everyone!

I'm a senior at The university of Texas at Austin and will be working as an SLPA at  a private practice in Houston for a year before starting graduate school. I was wondering if SLP grad programs take your school into consideration along with your GPA? My reasoning would say yes, because a 4.0 at some schools could easily translate into a 3.4 or worse at more difficult universities. Any thoughts??

As well, I was curious if anyone had any feedback on what my competitiveness for grad schools might be once i've worked in the field for a while? I have a cumulative GPA of a 3.1 (i will premise this with the fact that my first 2 years my major was geophysics/pre-med -- so the grades bringing this down consist of multiple calculus, Biology, chemistry, physics, etc. classes). My last 60 hours gpa is a 3.7, My CSD gpa is a 3.75 (including all A's and 2 B's…UT uses the plus/minus system) and I've made the dean's list for the last 3 semesters. As well, I have 25 + observation hours and have worked with children who are autistic in a therapy type setting for a couple of months. In addition to this i've participated in the IE pre-graduate school internship offered with one of the SLP grad students currently studying at UT and will have 3 strong recommendations from fairly recognizable names in the CSD field. 

Thanks and Hook'em!

hdoug913: I think you're a very competitive candidate, but you may want to explain your lower overall GPA in your SOP in a clear, concise way. While the more competitive schools I've researched have GPA minima of 3.0, the average accepted applicant GPA seems to be 3.5 or higher.

You'll definitely want to play up your experience. That is a great asset.

Your LORs will make your app strong, too.

And of course prepare for the GRE. A solid GRE score will help offset your GPA as well.

Good luck!