SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I have accepted an offer at a school that I am very excited to attend. However, I am on a waitlist for a school that is much cheaper and closer to my parents house. I was wondering if anyone knew how it would work if I get accepted off the waitlist and need to (am I able to?) decline the school I accepted first?

Any information would be a great help!

You should be able to send the school you accepted to an e-mail (possibly a phone call and thank you note as well) explaining the situation. It should be fine -- they run across this all the time.

After the total letdown of being rejected from the 3 schools I applied to last year, and now after being waitlisted and rejected by almost all this year, the wait is OVER. FINALLY GOT AN ACCEPTANCE. (It was the last school I heard back from, might I add..) so for anyone out there still waiting, I feel your pain, but just keep trying. I'm a terrible standardized test taker, so my GRE scores held me back so bad (ever after taking them 3 times)

Proud to say I'll be accepting my offer at UMass Amherst for the fall! (received my notice 4/9)

After the total letdown of being rejected from the 3 schools I applied to last year, and now after being waitlisted and rejected by almost all this year, the wait is OVER. FINALLY GOT AN ACCEPTANCE. (It was the last school I heard back from, might I add..) so for anyone out there still waiting, I feel your pain, but just keep trying. I'm a terrible standardized test taker, so my GRE scores held me back so bad (ever after taking them 3 times)

Proud to say I'll be accepting my offer at UMass Amherst for the fall! (received my notice 4/9)

Congratulations!!!!!

CSUN sent out an email tonight re. graduate school admissions. The word I heard around the department was that the decisions were made 2 weeks ago, but university administration was the hold up.

I was accepted. Good luck to everyone else...

CSUN sent out an email tonight re. graduate school admissions. The word I heard around the department was that the decisions were made 2 weeks ago, but university administration was the hold up.

I was accepted. Good luck to everyone else...

Hi niccig:

I got my Northridge email tonight as well. I am having a hard time swallowing the 42 hour window I have to make a decision. I'm torn. U of Washington is my first choice but I am waitlisted. I hate feeling like I am rushing into a decision. This has made me wonder if budgets were behind this which leads me to wonder about their program and can I finish in two years.

Hi niccig:

I got my Northridge email tonight as well. I am having a hard time swallowing the 42 hour window I have to make a decision. I'm torn. U of Washington is my first choice but I am waitlisted. I hate feeling like I am rushing into a decision. This has made me wonder if budgets were behind this which leads me to wonder about their program and can I finish in two years.

I won't lie, the budgets will be an issue for any CA state school. I don't have a choice as I can't move, so I'm going to have to go through with it and hope for the best.

It will probably take you more than 2 years. That's not because of budgets, but because of classes you may not have taken that CSUN requires. I'm in a couple of UG classes that many graduates need to take. So, check what their pre-CDS (their post-bac program) requires and see if you've done all of those classes or similar. I know that their neuroanatomy is graduate level and if you did it as an undergraduate they might require you to retake it as the graduate level covers in more detail/some different content.

I also got accepted into CSULA and they had 3 classes I hadn't taken yet as CSUN has those at the graduate level, so this is an issue if you are swapping to a different program from where you did your prerequisites. It would be nice if there was some conformity across programs!

The current delay in notifying students I was told is from university administration. The Cal States are over-enrolled in number of students and I heard that administration hadn't decided how many students the department could accept. The department made their decision on applicants weeks ago. There was an issue with registering for classes this semester for a similar administration issue - the department did work to sort it out. I don't know how much of an issue this will be going forward - no one knows.

Can you call U of Washington and ask about where you are on the wait list, when will they notify people etc.

Edited by niccig

I won't lie, the budgets will be an issue for any CA state school. I don't have a choice as I can't move, so I'm going to have to go through with it and hope for the best.

It will probably take you more than 2 years. That's not because of budgets, but because of classes you may not have taken that CSUN requires. I'm in a couple of UG classes that many graduates need to take. So, check what their pre-CDS (their post-bac program) requires and see if you've done all of those classes or similar. I know that their neuroanatomy is graduate level and if you did it as an undergraduate they might require you to retake it as the graduate level covers in more detail/some different content.

I also got accepted into CSULA and they had 3 classes I hadn't taken yet as CSUN has those at the graduate level, so this is an issue if you are swapping to a different program from where you did your prerequisites. It would be nice if there was some conformity across programs!

The current delay in notifying students I was told is from university administration. The Cal States are over-enrolled in number of students and I heard that administration hadn't decided how many students the department could accept. The department made their decision on applicants weeks ago. There was an issue with registering for classes this semester for a similar administration issue - the department did work to sort it out. I don't know how much of an issue this will be going forward - no one knows.

Can you call U of Washington and ask about where you are on the wait list, when will they notify people etc.

Hi niccig:

Good point about the classes I'll need to fill in. Didn't think about that.

I'm going to have to try and nail down UW tomorrow to get a sense of where they are at. I'll need to relocate no matter what but Northridge is an easier move than Washington. I'm surprised they aren't asking for a deposit to hold the spot. Did I miss that?

Hi niccig:

Ugh, what agony!!

Good question about a deposit. If they don't require one immediately - accept! accept!

Do you know what chance you stand on the waitlist for SD? Deposits/answers were required Sunday, so perhaps some spots have opened up. I do know of some people who turned them down. I would call and see!

I spoke with a grad advisor at SDSU a few days ago and two of the many questions I asked her were along the lines of a) could it possibly take longer because of budget cuts to the CSU system. and b ) would I need to take any extra courses outside of my COMD BA. She said that because of the cohort program at SDSU everyone's in the same classes so that won't be an issue and that I wouldn't need to take any extra special speech courses. The only courses one might need to take would be anything ASHA requires that you don't have (one math class, one social science class, etc). Most people who have graduated from a UC or CSU already have these. She even went as far to say that cuts don't affect grad programs as much as undergrad at SDSU.

Best of luck!!

Edited by Astrid Coleslaw

I, too, just received my acceptance from Northridge and it changes a lot of things!

I was pretty much set on CSUF until tonight. Since I did my undergrad at CSUF, I was looking to get out of here I meant, broaden my horizons. After the most difficult comparison between CSULA, CSULB, and CSUF, I have determined that CSUF will benefit me the most in the end.

However, I love the idea of finishing in 2 years- CSULB's traditional program and CSUF both take around 2.5 years in general. CSULA said due to budget cuts, they can't promise you'll finish in 2 years as they have in the past (which totally reinforces everyone's budget cut concerns in previous posts). If finishing in two years is a guarantee, I would definitely look into CSUN.

I'm also concerned that their class size will be big. They have around 50 graduates per year according to their website. Does anyone know anything about their class sizes?

I've made last minute arrangements to visit the school tomorrow and tour the clinic, etc. But honestly, giving us less than 48 hours until noon on Wed is really ridiculous.

I, too, just received my acceptance from Northridge and it changes a lot of things!

I was pretty much set on CSUF until tonight. Since I did my undergrad at CSUF, I was looking to get out of here I meant, broaden my horizons. After the most difficult comparison between CSULA, CSULB, and CSUF, I have determined that CSUF will benefit me the most in the end.

However, I love the idea of finishing in 2 years- CSULB's traditional program and CSUF both take around 2.5 years in general. CSULA said due to budget cuts, they can't promise you'll finish in 2 years as they have in the past (which totally reinforces everyone's budget cut concerns in previous posts). If finishing in two years is a guarantee, I would definitely look into CSUN.

I'm also concerned that their class size will be big. They have around 50 graduates per year according to their website. Does anyone know anything about their class sizes?

I've made last minute arrangements to visit the school tomorrow and tour the clinic, etc. But honestly, giving us less than 48 hours until noon on Wed is really ridiculous.

Hi glamclam:

How did you make your tour arrangements so quickly? I have tomorrow off so I may visit as well but I feel like this is being shoved down my throat. I've only visited the campus once and that was to turn my app in. It's about a two hour drive from where I live.

Not sure about their class size. I didn't think it was that big.

Know anything about a deposit?

I called off work last minute(eek) and emailed Dr. Vermiglio if I can speak with him and have a tour. I haven't heard back yet but If anything, I'll go to the clinic and ask the front desk if they can give me a tour- this should be fairly common.

I'm an hour away but I am considering relocating if I decide to go to CSUN.

Regarding the deposit, I reread the letter and it doesn't say anything about a deposit. Like Astrid said before, I guess I can say 'yes' and see since there is no deposit...

I also heard that the last cohort that was accepted (Fall 2011) were all CSUN undergrad/post bac students with the exception of ONE undergrad from CSUF. This sounds fishy but I heard it from a credible source. Can anyone back this up?

I am so happy for you. I live in Maryland now but was born in Springfield, MA. You will love the area.

I called off work last minute(eek) and emailed Dr. Vermiglio if I can speak with him and have a tour. I haven't heard back yet but If anything, I'll go to the clinic and ask the front desk if they can give me a tour- this should be fairly common.

I'm an hour away but I am considering relocating if I decide to go to CSUN.

Regarding the deposit, I reread the letter and it doesn't say anything about a deposit. Like Astrid said before, I guess I can say 'yes' and see since there is no deposit...

I also heard that the last cohort that was accepted (Fall 2011) were all CSUN undergrad/post bac students with the exception of ONE undergrad from CSUF. This sounds fishy but I heard it from a credible source. Can anyone back this up?

I live in So Cal but I completed the post-bac online program through Utah State. So I'm from Cali but not a Cali grad.

Called San Diego today about their waitlist. Jessica Barlow thought they'd start offering spots off the waitlist today. She wasn't sure but thought that was the case.

Anyone know anything about U of Washington's waitlist?

Called San Diego today about their waitlist. Jessica Barlow thought they'd start offering spots off the waitlist today. She wasn't sure but thought that was the case.

Anyone know anything about U of Washington's waitlist?

As far as I know it isn't ranked. Are you waiting for med or core? It moved pretty fast last year and into June. However I don't know the ratio of non-UW students to UW students who are admitted from the wait list (does that make sense?). When I was a post bacc there everyone in my cohort who decided to remain on the wait list (several people removed themselves for other schools) was admitted. UW does tend to take a lot of their own post baccs (more so than their own undergrads) which is difficult if you are not one of them. Dr. Spencer is super nice and is very understanding about how people are waiting on pins and needles. She truly feels really horrible that people have to wait for so long. If you want more info I'm sure she would be happy to give it to you if you shoot her an email. If you do get off UWs wait list and decide to go there feel free to PM me I am happy to talk Seattle, especially with a fellow Californian.

As far as I know it isn't ranked. Are you waiting for med or core? It moved pretty fast last year and into June. However I don't know the ratio of non-UW students to UW students who are admitted from the wait list (does that make sense?). When I was a post bacc there everyone in my cohort who decided to remain on the wait list (several people removed themselves for other schools) was admitted. UW does tend to take a lot of their own post baccs (more so than their own undergrads) which is difficult if you are not one of them. Dr. Spencer is super nice and is very understanding about how people are waiting on pins and needles. She truly feels really horrible that people have to wait for so long. If you want more info I'm sure she would be happy to give it to you if you shoot her an email. If you do get off UWs wait list and decide to go there feel free to PM me I am happy to talk Seattle, especially with a fellow Californian.

Thanks for the info. I cringe to think I may be waiting into summer for an answer. They did say that in their letter to me though. I emailed and called the dept today. Haven't heard anything.

I grew up in southern Washington and I lived in Bothell and worked in Bellevue for two years. I would love to get back there even though I dread the gray winters. It's a great place to live.

I have a random question for people who were waitlisted to a school...did your letter say something about letting them know if you wanted to be taken off of the waitlist? SXU's waitlist letter didn't mention that, which I thought was kind of weird. But maybe that is normal, and schools just expect that people will let them know if they decide on another school? I haven't given up on SXU yet...but since it wasn't mentioned in the letter I'm just really hoping that others will have decided on their own to do that, in the event that they have made another decision.

Found out today UW already sent out their waitlist offers. Since I didn't get one, the person I emailed didn't give me much hope I would ever get an offer. Disappointed. : (

I'm torn. I wanted to get into a research school. I didn't make it into the three research schools I applied to. Well, San Diego is a maybe but I don't hold out hope on that one. That leaves me with Northridge, which does not do research. Do I take what I can get or do I roll the dice and wait until next year and try all over again? Northridge wants an answer by noon tomorrow. What if it doesn't happen for me next year either? My brains feel scrambled right now!

CSUN doesn't require a deposit right? Why not say yes to them and take the time before you would start to think over your options? I find it odd that UW said it already sent out all its wait list offers because I know that people got off from well before the April 15th deadline through at least June of last year. UW is not cheap, especially if you are out of state so I wouldn't be shocked if people turned down their wait list offers. You never know what could happen later on in the spring/summer.

CSUN doesn't require a deposit right? Why not say yes to them and take the time before you would start to think over your options? I find it odd that UW said it already sent out all its wait list offers because I know that people got off from well before the April 15th deadline through at least June of last year. UW is not cheap, especially if you are out of state so I wouldn't be shocked if people turned down their wait list offers. You never know what could happen later on in the spring/summer.

Even in their letter to me from March they said it's possible to get off the waitlist into the summer. Don't know what to think. Guess I'll have to take them at their word.