SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

FYI for all fellow applicants: If you can attend program open houses do so! I have attended four open houses since August and 3 out of the 4 schools are going to waive my application fee because of attendance! I just thought I would spread the word as grad applications can add up along with transcripts and GRE scores!

Edited by hopefulslp88

Hello future applicants! it's getting close to application time...

I'm a CA resident and would prefer to stay in-state, but because of how incredibly competitive the programs are here, I will be applying to NYU's graduate program and perhaps st. johns.

My undergraduate GPA was a 3.2 :(, but my post-bacc GPA in CD is currently a 4.0. I will be completing 8/12 required core classes this fall and finish up the program in spring. I have clinical experience working with pediatric age groups, and also with adults in the rehabilitation setting. I am currently interning at a non-profit that mainly works with autistic/PDD-NOS children. I have yet to take the GRES (i'm doing that this nov)

I am planning on applying to CSULA, CSUF, SFSU, SJSU, SDSU, CSUEB, CSULB (?)-not sure if I will...I hear most these programs are really impacted and its really difficult to get in. Do most these schools look at your undergrad GPA?? I'm worried it's too low to even be considered even if my major coursework gpa is great. Does anyone recommend any other CA graduate programs?

Hello future applicants! it's getting close to application time...

I'm a CA resident and would prefer to stay in-state, but because of how incredibly competitive the programs are here, I will be applying to NYU's graduate program and perhaps st. johns.

My undergraduate GPA was a 3.2 :(, but my post-bacc GPA in CD is currently a 4.0. I will be completing 8/12 required core classes this fall and finish up the program in spring. I have clinical experience working with pediatric age groups, and also with adults in the rehabilitation setting. I am currently interning at a non-profit that mainly works with autistic/PDD-NOS children. I have yet to take the GRES (i'm doing that this nov)

I am planning on applying to CSULA, CSUF, SFSU, SJSU, SDSU, CSUEB, CSULB (?)-not sure if I will...I hear most these programs are really impacted and its really difficult to get in. Do most these schools look at your undergrad GPA?? I'm worried it's too low to even be considered even if my major coursework gpa is great. Does anyone recommend any other CA graduate programs?

I know it's hard, but try not to worry too much. I started in the grad program at Cal State Northridge this fall. My last sixty credits GPA was 3.44 but my CD GPA was 4.0. I had some experience from working in the schools for two years. I would say my letters of recommendation were fairly good but, having done my post-bac through the Utah online program, I had never met my profs. Frankly, my letter of intent wasn't the greatest for Northridge. I took the letter I wrote for another school and tweeked it because Northridge wanted a shorter letter. I didn't think it was very good. I was in the 36% for math on the GRE and 89% in verbal. Obviously my math score was horrible. I also applied to U of Washington, U of Maryland, and San Diego State. I got waitlisted at those schools and was accepted at Northridge. Now, why I got into Northridge I couldn't tell you. I thought I was a marginal candidate. Sometimes it feels like a mystery when you see other people on this site getting into schools you hope for with the same stats. Try not to compare yourself to other people. It all comes down to the admission committees, which means there's a lot of subjectivity to the process. Don't beat yourself up and assume, because of impaction, you don't have a good chance. Try for what you want but cast a wide net too. Good luck!

I have a question for you guys- i'm aware that SFSU'S program is centered around the public school setting and training you for that kind of environment for the future.

any ideas on what the focus for the other CalStates are?? (in particular, CSUEB, SJSU?)

Hi everyone,

I have been unable to sleep and been so stressed about this!!

I am finishing my undergrad in SLP this semester. Taking the GRE in November. I have a 3.47 overall and a 3.6 major GPA.

I have a lower GPA because I was taking intensive science courses like organic chemistry because i wanted to complete pre-med requirements for dental school.

I always wanted to be an SLP before I came to college, but I changed my mind so many times during college that I put SLP on the back burner...I never thought of getting close to any of the teachers in the profession because I didn't think I would end up doing that job.

How bad would it look if my LORs came from: a professor of SLP/audiology who I was doing research with, a supervisor at the newborn hearing screener program, and an SLP that I shadow??

I don't want to ask a professor who I took one course with a year ago..they have hundreds of other students asking them for LORs.

Do you think I should just use the 3 LORs that I can get for this year, and if I don't get in, just try to do some volunteering for other professors in the department even if I'm not a student anymore?

Thanks

The schools I plan on applying to are:

University of Virginia, St. Xavier University, University of Nebraska, Omaha, Arizona State University, New York University, St. Cloud State University, Mankato State University, Northern Illinois University.

Do you guys think George Washington University is too far a stretch for me?

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually my third time applying, so keeping my fingers crossed that I can get in this round. I also applied to some Spring Semester programs, just in case.

Good luck to you! Have you applied to CSUN all three times? This is my second round of applications, but my first time applying to CSUN Distance Learning program. Do you happen to know how many applicants they accept?

Hi Everyone!

This seems like a great community - I myself have applied to many schools twice and was rejected from all possibilities. But I perservered! I knew speech pathology was the right field for me.

I applied to The College of Saint Rose for Spring 2013 and was accepted!

Does anyone know anything about the program, or are there any other future students? I would love to get to know some of my fellow classmates before school!

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I'm working on reading through this entire thread... haha, 161 pages on it! Maybe another time!

I'm applying to:

Univ of South Carolina

Univ of North Carolina

East Carolina U

Appalachian State U

(possibly a few others once I get at least one application submitted)

Currently, I am working on leveling courses online with Longwood Univ (Virginia) and hoping to get in for Fall 2013 with minimal "leveling" courses for me during the actual program!

Degrees earned: B.Music in 2006 (UNC - CH), and Master of Arts in Teaching (UNC - CH) in 2007.

Why SLP now? After 6 years of teaching many age groups, I'm headed back to be an SLP and take my skills up a few notches, hopefully to work in a rehab facility or public school. We shall see!

Best of luck as you apply this year!

Hi everyone,

I would love your opinion on my situation. I am currently a senior majoring in CSD, and like many of you, I am also in the midst of going through this wonderful graduation application process. I'm sure many of you have already completed the GRE and are targeting schools based on your scores and so forth...

However, I am an "older" student who has developed a deep aversion towards the thought of taking the GRE! When I looked at the math portion of the GRE, I almost had a heart attack. So, when I heard about schools not requiring the GRE, you can only imagine my excitement!I So far, I have 7 on my list. My question is, am I shooting myself in the foot for not taking the GRE and trying to apply to these schools that may be in turn, highly competitive because GRE scores are not required?

I keep telling myself that I should study and just take the GRE, but I fear that it may be too late. I just kept thinking that I have a good chance into getting into a school that does not require the GRE, but now I am facing the realities of how competitive it really is to gain entry into these graduate programs. Based on my stats, do you think I have a good chance of just sticking to the 7 schools on my list that do not require the GRE and hope I get accepted into one of them? Is 7 a good number of schools to apply to?

Stats:

3.9 overall GPA

Currently working as an ABA therapist (working one-on-one with a child with autism)

3 years experience as a preschool teacher in a preschool program

President of an organization dealing with individuals with disabilities, on the exec board for an autism organization and a pre-med honor society

favorable recommendation letters professors in my department

I am also looking into applying to CA state schools, however, I read that applicants must pass the CA Basic Skills Test before they apply. Does anyone know how this works for out of state applicants? Can we just submit our passing Basic Skills Test scores from our state?

I would really really really appreciate all your feedback!! I am absolutely thrilled to have found this website! It's great to see so much support in this forum. I am crossing my fingers for each and every one of you!

Hi Everyone!

This seems like a great community - I myself have applied to many schools twice and was rejected from all possibilities. But I perservered! I knew speech pathology was the right field for me.

I applied to The College of Saint Rose for Spring 2013 and was accepted!

Does anyone know anything about the program, or are there any other future students? I would love to get to know some of my fellow classmates before school!

Thanks.

Congratulations!! :D

Hi everyone,

I'm working on reading through this entire thread... haha, 161 pages on it! Maybe another time!

I'm applying to:

Univ of South Carolina

Univ of North Carolina

East Carolina U

Appalachian State U

(possibly a few others once I get at least one application submitted)

Currently, I am working on leveling courses online with Longwood Univ (Virginia) and hoping to get in for Fall 2013 with minimal "leveling" courses for me during the actual program!

Degrees earned: B.Music in 2006 (UNC - CH), and Master of Arts in Teaching (UNC - CH) in 2007.

Why SLP now? After 6 years of teaching many age groups, I'm headed back to be an SLP and take my skills up a few notches, hopefully to work in a rehab facility or public school. We shall see!

Best of luck as you apply this year!

Best of luck to you too! I think 6 years of teaching will definitely make you a stand out applicant. I am hoping my background experiences will help me too. This is such a stressful time!

I'm tentatively applying to the following:

University of Colorado at Boulder

University of Virginia

University of Northern Colorado

James Madison University

George Washington University

College GPA: 3.93

I also won an outstanding graduating senior departmental award.

GRE: 490q/630v/5.0w

I am retaking next month to boost my quant.

I have several years of experience tutoring ESL adults and elementary-aged children in English composition and reading, and I taught in an inclusion preschool for two years.

I feel like my quant score might be a problem (but I obviously hope to do better on my retake now that I've found a great review book); however, I earned an A and a B in my required college math courses, so I'm able to perform OK in the classroom.

I am proficient in French and conversational in Spanish. (Also I am a returning student who'll be 32 next month--I attended a prestigious and extremely competitive summer immersion program in French when I was in high school. Is it worth mentioning at all considering it was so long ago, or does it seem desperate?)

Any thoughts about the programs or my chances?

Thanks!

Edited by midnight streetlight

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to you! Have you applied to CSUN all three times? This is my second round of applications, but my first time applying to CSUN Distance Learning program. Do you happen to know how many applicants they accept?

This was my first time applying to the CSUN distance program. No clue how many they accept, but if it's anything like their SLPA program, I would guess the cohort would be around 40 people. Good luck!!!

Edited by Soon_to_be_SLP

(Also I am a returning student who'll be 32 next month--I attended a prestigious and extremely competitive summer immersion program in French when I was in high school. Is it worth mentioning at all considering it was so long ago, or does it seem desperate?)

The latter. I think mentioning your language skills is definitely important, but no point in mentioning what you did in high school. It's so long ago that it doesn't really speak to your abilities/skills now.

It sounds like you have some great experience in related work. Good luck with everything!

How bad would it look if my LORs came from: a professor of SLP/audiology who I was doing research with, a supervisor at the newborn hearing screener program, and an SLP that I shadow??

I don't want to ask a professor who I took one course with a year ago..they have hundreds of other students asking them for LORs.

Do you think I should just use the 3 LORs that I can get for this year, and if I don't get in, just try to do some volunteering for other professors in the department even if I'm not a student anymore?

1) Sorry to say, it won't look good. In fact, some schools require that at least two of your letters be from professors (preferably in your speech/audiology classes if that is your background). Exceptions are obviously made for people who have been out of school for a long time (and aren't doing leveling classes) but usually you have to have been out of school for at least 5 or 6 years. Even schools that don't explicitly state they want more than one academic letter tend to want to see at least two. You want recommendations that can speak to your abilities in the classroom. You are going to grad school after all, and the academic demands are rigorous. You really need to find another professor to write you recs, especially because your undergrad is IN SLP. You don't want it to seem like you are a weak student, especially because it does not sound like you are. That being said, using your supervisor for your third rec is a great idea! Having unique experiences is a huge plus when applying to graduate school. If you are helping the SLP you shadow (rather than just observing extensively) she would be a good rec too (for your third letter). If you are just shadowing her then I wouldn't use her. Again, you have a background in SLP so schools are going to expect more of you in terms of your related experience. You can talk about your experiences shadowing in your SOP but if it is simply observational (something almost everyone with a background in SLP will have) I wouldn't use her as a recommender. Keep in mind that schools don't only look at what your recommendations say but they also consider who wrote them.

2) I understand not wanting to ask a professor you had awhile ago, and that they have a lot of people asking for recs. The reasons for that are the ones I listed above. They expect to receive recommendation requests from you. Now would it be a good idea to go all the way back to freshman year? Probably not, but if you can't find a professor from this year you may have to go back to junior year to find worthy recommenders. You can certainly apply with the recommenders you have but your application will be significantly stronger if you find another academic recommender. And absolutely look at the schools requirements to see if they state how many letters must be from professors. There is no point in waisting time or money applying to a school that requires two if you only have one.

This should go without saying but if you have not yet asked people to write you recommendations do so now. You are correct in saying that professors/supervisors etc. gets asked to write a lot of letters.

I'm sorry if this freaked you out. That was not my intention. But you seem to have a strong background, and while recommendations are only a part of your application, most schools will tell you they are an important part. You want to really make sure you sell your best self. That is something I learned the hard way.

Best of luck in your applications!

The latter. I think mentioning your language skills is definitely important, but no point in mentioning what you did in high school. It's so long ago that it doesn't really speak to your abilities/skills now.

It sounds like you have some great experience in related work. Good luck with everything!

Thanks, Gandalf!

I definitely need all the luck I can get. SLP admissions are insanely competitive now!

Another letter of recommendation question! I graduated from college in 2010 and have been working since then. I've been taking pre-req classes online since the beginning of this year. One of my letters will come from an undergrad professor (that one will be the best) and another will come from one of my online professors. The last will either come from an SLP I worked with when I was a teacher assistant at a school for autism or a supervisor at the center where I volunteer teaching English to ESL kids. The one from the SLP will probably focus on autism but I'm really interested in multicultural populations. The problem is, I've known the SLP for more than a year and I've only volunteered with the ESL kids for a few months. The SLP's letter is a really good one but I'm wondering if it could hurt my application since it doesn't focus on anything multicultural. What do you think? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Sar21Leo:

I think you answered the question for yourself when you said that the SLP's letter is a really good one. The best letters of recommendation come from people who know you well and can speak to your abilities, work ethic, and professionalism. If multiculturalism is a major interest for you, then mention that in your personal statement and make sure that your ESL volunteer experience is on your resume, which will also be part of your application. I don't think schools expect applicants to have LORs in the field that you want to work in as an SLP, especially since so many applicants are changing careers and/or fields.

Good luck!

Sar21Leo:

I think you answered the question for yourself when you said that the SLP's letter is a really good one. The best letters of recommendation come from people who know you well and can speak to your abilities, work ethic, and professionalism. If multiculturalism is a major interest for you, then mention that in your personal statement and make sure that your ESL volunteer experience is on your resume, which will also be part of your application. I don't think schools expect applicants to have LORs in the field that you want to work in as an SLP, especially since so many applicants are changing careers and/or fields.

Good luck!

Gandalf, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks!

Hi! I lurk here on behalf of my husband, who originally was going to apply for Fall 2012 ... money issues held him back, and he's in line to apply for Fall 2013. His stats are good (4.0 post-bacc, 3.3 BA in Psych, 3 years of experience in SPED) but he hasn't yet taken the GRE and he's not the fastest typist, so that's his wildcard. He's looking at University of Washington, SJSU, CSUEB, Sacramento State, SFSU, Northern Arizona University, CU-Boulder, and Arizona State University ... we'll see how financially feasible such a large list is. ^_^ He and I enjoyed how helpful this board can be last time, so I'm back again a-lurkin' on his behalf. Good lucky everyone!

What kind of SPED experience does your husband have? SPED Teacher? Paraprofessional? Counseling? I have three years in SPED as a credentialed teacher (moderate/severe) - 1 year non-public school for adolescents on the spectrum, 2 years as SDC teacher for a large urban district. I'm still worried that I won't get into any Cal. state schools (i.e., SJSU, SDSU, CSUEB) because they have over 200 applicants and about 30-40 people they can afford to accept. EEEK! I'm also considering the UW Postbac program, which I've also heard is very competitive. SLP is simply not an easy field to transition into.

I'm also considering the UW Postbac program, which I've also heard is very competitive. SLP is simply not an easy field to transition into.

UW's postbac program is pretty competitive. But it will prepare you well. I am a product of it and while grad school is very stressful, I feel like UWs program prepared me pretty well. The thing with UWs program is that a) it is well known (the grad program is ranked # 3 in the country) and B) you get a second bachelors degree out of it. While that sounds a bit (okay is a bit) insane it allows you to apply to ANY school in the country. It also means that you have a higher starting salary in a lot of school districts should you go that route (you will have almost 70 additional credits and many districts pay you more for that). When I applied the first time I applied to 3 year programs (including some SJSU and SFSU) and to postbac programs. I got in to all but one of the postbac programs and none of the extended masters programs. Granted I did not have as much experience as you. If you can afford it, applying to a few postbac programs is not a bad idea. Portland State's post bac is non-competitive (you apply you get in). Or at least it was when I applied in 2010. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...