SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

OK, so yesterday I had a horrible realization and I thought I'd share it with everyone in here since it barely let me get any sleep last night.

I know that probably most of you knew about this already, but I always thought that after attending any school for a year we could establish residency the second year and then pay in-state tuition. Then yesterday I found out that MANY schools have a policy by which if you start out as an out-of-state resident, you are stuck with that residency for the entirety of your program :mellow: There are some schools that are more lenient but still the process of changing from out-of-state to in-state seems to be really complicated, with many schools threatening to expel you if you apply for in-state residency when the main purpose of you being in the state is to attend their institution. How the heck am I going to pay for school? By the end of my program I'm going to have a mortgage worth of loans! :blink:

Does anyone know when we'll hear back from FAFSA? :(

I think a lot of schools are getting stricter about residency criteria for both grad and undergrad, unfortunately. Cost is a huge factor for me, since I will do three years of grad school and I am in my 30s and don't want to be repaying loans into my 50s! I think the funding is one of the most appealing parts of the STEPS program--with the fee remission and the stipend, the price tag is much lower. Are you considering STEPS, Klsr2thedge?

Also, I got a FAFSA report via e-mail about two days after I submitted the form online, which was in early February. I found it fascinating that I have an Expected Family Contribution based on my taxes from 2011, in which I was single and employed full-time. How exactly do they think I'm going to continue to make that contribution once I'm in graduate school?!

My understanding is that the FAFSA is automatically sent to every school we listed when we submitted the form, and that it is up to the school to offer the final package once, including determining our eligibility for federal loans. I obviously have a lot to learn about this process, though, so I'm going to make an appointment at the financial aid office at every school I visit. If anyone on this forum can share some insights, I'd be grateful.

I guess we're never safe! After like 5pm I've accepted I won't hear anything that day...but now! Ah!!!

I know, that is what I thought at first but earlier in February one of my friends received a rejection email at like 11:30 pm. It totally ruined her night but it also made me realize that this is going to be a 24 hr process. It is completely crazy, I feel like I'm always on edge.

No, I tried to avoid picking a top choice because I didn't want to have my heart broken. At this point, I'm still waiting for financial information before making any decisions. I'm most likely going to decline South Carolina because I don't like their attitude towards the admission process and perspective students, but that is the only decision I've made so far. The next few weeks are going to be challenging as I try to weigh the pros and cons of each school but I'm just grateful that I have options.

I am definitely not here to bash anyone but I have to completely agree about South Carolina. I don't appreciate the way they've handled this whole process.

OK, so yesterday I had a horrible realization and I thought I'd share it with everyone in here since it barely let me get any sleep last night.

I know that probably most of you knew about this already, but I always thought that after attending any school for a year we could establish residency the second year and then pay in-state tuition. Then yesterday I found out that MANY schools have a policy by which if you start out as an out-of-state resident, you are stuck with that residency for the entirety of your program :mellow: There are some schools that are more lenient but still the process of changing from out-of-state to in-state seems to be really complicated, with many schools threatening to expel you if you apply for in-state residency when the main purpose of you being in the state is to attend their institution. How the heck am I going to pay for school? By the end of my program I'm going to have a mortgage worth of loans! :blink:

Does anyone know when we'll hear back from FAFSA? :(

Cost is going to be a huge factor for me too. Have you contacted programs about assistantships? Even if you can only get one your second year, it can really cut down costs as they usually come with some sort of tuition waiver or reduction and/or a stipend. If you can qualify for work-study that can be a good option too. Many professors will also hire students hourly to work in their labs if you're interested in research at all.

I also heard back from FAFSA within 48 hours of submitting my application. Not sure when we'll hear back from schools on aid though.

I got accepted to Radford University today! I am so excited, but in my letter is says they would 'strongly encourage' me to let them know by MARCH 23RD!! What? Is that possible? Should I call them? I really wanted to visit there, and I live really far away, so I definitely wouldn't be able to visit before then.

Also, anybody know anything about Radford?

I got accepted to Radford University today! I am so excited, but in my letter is says they would 'strongly encourage' me to let them know by MARCH 23RD!! What? Is that possible? Should I call them? I really wanted to visit there, and I live really far away, so I definitely wouldn't be able to visit before then.

Congratulations! My cousin attends Radford and she's had really positive things to say. It sounds like it's a beautiful campus!

I would ask for an extension. Most schools will give you until April 15th, but we've seen on the boards that that isn't always the case. It's worth a try though, the worst they can do is say no.

I don't quite get how schools can force you to make a decision so early or how some schools aren't sending out acceptances until April. How is anyone supposed to make such a big decision in two weeks or less?

Congratulations! My cousin attends Radford and she's had really positive things to say. It sounds like it's a beautiful campus!

Oh, I forgot to mention that too. I don't have any experience with the school personally but a good friend of mine went there for undergrad and LOVED it. Congrats on your acceptance :)

ahhhhhh FINALLY! I was wondering when we were going to hear back from Purdue, since they found out last week last year. I will now be even more high-stress for the rest of the week. woof. Congrats on your acceptance though, that is awesome!

I would ask for an extension. Most schools will give you until April 15th, but we've seen on the boards that that isn't always the case. It's worth a try though, the worst they can do is say no.

I don't quite get how schools can force you to make a decision so early or how some schools aren't sending out acceptances until April. How is anyone supposed to make such a big decision in two weeks or less?

Oh, I forgot to mention that too. I don't have any experience with the school personally but a good friend of mine went there for undergrad and LOVED it. Congrats on your acceptance :)

Awesome! I'm pretty excited about this one! :)

Mid-April! What the heck, CSULA?

I know, right? But the lady I talked to on the phone was super sweet... and their deadline WAS one of the later ones (2/15). I guess they need two months to make their decision.

To add to your list, I called UMass Amherst yesterday and they said "will go out mid march" so hopefully there's news sooooooon.

Thanks!

And for those applying to CSU Fullerton... did you know about the application status document on the website?? Kitselman updates it every day so you can check what materials they've received. Not much information I know, but you can see there's 430 applicants. :wacko:

I know, right? But the lady I talked to on the phone was super sweet... and their deadline WAS one of the later ones (2/15). I guess they need two months to make their decision.

Thanks!

And for those applying to CSU Fullerton... did you know about the application status document on the website?? Kitselman updates it every day so you can check what materials they've received. Not much information I know, but you can see there's 430 applicants. :wacko:

Although CSU Fullerton shows 430 applicants, not all of them show complete application files...right? So maybe our odd are better than we think for those of us who turned in all the required materials on time????? Ok, maybe just wishful thinking!

I guess it's no small feat to go through so many applications - but man. Do you think that people who end up accepting at such a late date are those that applied to CSULA as last resort and have no other choice (may well be me come late April!) or it's their only school? That or they can afford to lose massive deposits... Just seems like they won't get their pick of applicants, waiting so long.

I think a lot of schools are getting stricter about residency criteria for both grad and undergrad, unfortunately. Cost is a huge factor for me, since I will do three years of grad school and I am in my 30s and don't want to be repaying loans into my 50s! I think the funding is one of the most appealing parts of the STEPS program--with the fee remission and the stipend, the price tag is much lower. Are you considering STEPS, Klsr2thedge?

Also, I got a FAFSA report via e-mail about two days after I submitted the form online, which was in early February. I found it fascinating that I have an Expected Family Contribution based on my taxes from 2011, in which I was single and employed full-time. How exactly do they think I'm going to continue to make that contribution once I'm in graduate school?!

My understanding is that the FAFSA is automatically sent to every school we listed when we submitted the form, and that it is up to the school to offer the final package once, including determining our eligibility for federal loans. I obviously have a lot to learn about this process, though, so I'm going to make an appointment at the financial aid office at every school I visit. If anyone on this forum can share some insights, I'd be grateful.

Thanks so much for your answer, mammalian. I applied to STEPS, but I didn't get into the program. They did say that I'd still get the bilingual academic and clinical training, but I was waitlisted for funding :( Very disappointed...

I'm also an out-of-field applicant, so that makes the price tag even more costly since I'll have to complete prerequisite coursework. I keep telling myself that once I graduate I should be able to repay my loans no problem, but the idea of having such a large amount of debt frightens me. I have absolutely no idea how FAFSA works, I just hope I can get some sort of financial aid that way...

Cost is going to be a huge factor for me too. Have you contacted programs about assistantships? Even if you can only get one your second year, it can really cut down costs as they usually come with some sort of tuition waiver or reduction and/or a stipend. If you can qualify for work-study that can be a good option too. Many professors will also hire students hourly to work in their labs if you're interested in research at all.

I also heard back from FAFSA within 48 hours of submitting my application. Not sure when we'll hear back from schools on aid though.

Thanks so much for your reply, SLP-Allie. The schools I've applied to tell you whether you got an assistantship or GA with your acceptance. I know that the schools that I've applied to offer some assistantships, but getting them is another story, especially considering how many competitive applicants there are :( Hopefully I hear back from the other schools I applied to soon and they offer me some sort of funding!

Lord have mercy! Did any of you see this? Apparently Cambridge sent acceptance e-mails to some students afterthey had sent the same students rejection letters. I used to think that that Silence of the Lambs was scary, but that's only because I hadn't seen this: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/07/cambridge-sends-offer-emails-rejected-students_n_1325883.html

Awesome way to start the day. Is it too early for Thin Mints?

Thanks so much for your answer, mammalian. I applied to STEPS, but I didn't get into the program. They did say that I'd still get the bilingual academic and clinical training, but I was waitlisted for funding :( Very disappointed...

I'm also an out-of-field applicant, so that makes the price tag even more costly since I'll have to complete prerequisite coursework. I keep telling myself that once I graduate I should be able to repay my loans no problem, but the idea of having such a large amount of debt frightens me. I have absolutely no idea how FAFSA works, I just hope I can get some sort of financial aid that way...

Thanks so much for your reply, SLP-Allie. The schools I've applied to tell you whether you got an assistantship or GA with your acceptance. I know that the schools that I've applied to offer some assistantships, but getting them is another story, especially considering how many competitive applicants there are :( Hopefully I hear back from the other schools I applied to soon and they offer me some sort of funding!

Have you asked them about your likelihood of getting an assistantship your second year though? I know at UW-Seattle for example, it basically does not happen that first years get assistantship positions, however you CAN apply for them during your second year. Even if you only had an assistantship your second year, it could cut your costs down to a more affordable rate.

I know at my undergrad, we never had levelers (out of field applicants completing their pre-req work) in TA positions, but some did get hired in research labs, either paid hourly or through work-study. Then, as they went through the program and finished more coursework they could apply for other positions.

It could be worth asking the program directors at the programs you are admitted to. You don't want to write someone off because of cost without exploring other options, especially if it's a school you otherwise love :)

Has anyone ever head of someone transferring programs? Do any programs even allow this? Just curious...

I think I saw a couple that said they would take transfers but you could only transfer in a few classes, so you're basically starting over anyway. Most programs I saw said pretty blatantly that they don't accept transfer students.

I am dying to hear back from UW-Seattle! Maybe today will be our lucky day?!

I really hope so too! It's now 5 weeks since the apps were due and they said 4 on the website, so they really should be coming soon...fingers and toes crossed!!

Awesome way to start the day. Is it too early for Thin Mints?

I say it's never too early for Thin Mints! Though I'm more of a Samoa person myself :P

Just to get an idea - what kinds of specialty interests do y'all have? I sort of feel torn between literacy/early intervention and neurogenic issues. Closely related, I know!

Just to get an idea - what kinds of specialty interests do y'all have? I sort of feel torn between literacy/early intervention and neurogenic issues. Closely related, I know!

I plan to work with children with CIs. It's something I've wanted to do for well over 10 years, (never thought I'd go back to school) I was a nanny for a child with a CI and was the main caregiver for her. I'll never forget the difference that speech therapy made and I can't wait to do that for other children.