SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I've been thinking or well prepping myself for the realization that I may not receive an acceptance this year. I wanted to know- is this anyone's second year applying, if so what did you do differently the second time around and was it successful? Thanks!!

San Diego State University is part of the CSU system.

So it is. I don't know what others have experienced in the Cal State system, but I personally have had many difficulties over the past years with changing tuition rates and changing availability of classes and professors. I have always been proud of my alma mater and very thankful to the professors who have enriched my life greatly, but I am sad to say that I personally do not feel the CSU system is very stable or reliable at this time.

These are only my opinions and I hope others will do their own research and draw their own conclusions.

Edited by jkathleen

I should have been more clear. I can only speak for the Cal State system. I didn't mean to cause you concern. I did both my undergrad and post-bac work at a Cal State, and also did some grad work at a Cal State. I have seen things change drastically in the Cal State system from 2002 to now.

I have zero experience with SDSU, so please don't take my comments to reflect on that school. The little I know about SDSU tells me that it is in a far better position than any of the Cal States. Sorry to be unclear.

Right, SDSU is a CSU school, as leesta said, to be clear. So it probably does suffer some of the same effects of budget cuts that the rest are - but to what extent, I don't know. From what I hear, LB's grad program is having a harder time in that area.

I am CA resident so the budget problems of public schools is FAR outweighed by the benefits of the affordable tuition and the good reputation of this program. I did undergrad at two CA CSUs and I sure did shitty things happen as we lost money - but I don't have any basis of comparison to say if they are worse than other public schools in other states now. Also - undergrad programs (where I am speaking from experience) and grad programs might be affected differently - just speculating.

If you were in-state I'd say - go anyway, you can't beat that price! Out of state, I don't know enough to give any useful advice. I guess it depends on what other programs you get into and their pros and cons. Also - call SD and ask! They would be the first place who would know exactly what the future of the budget means, and how much it would affect (or not affect) their department.

Edited by Astrid Coleslaw

Thank you Astrid Coleslaw and jkathleen for the input - I really do appreciate it. And yes, I plan to get in touch with the department at SDSU and ask some questions. For what it is worth, I'm actually blown away by how inexpensive out-of-state tuition is at SDSU - it is just barely more than the in-state tuition at my state's main campus! In all honesty, I think that every single state school in the country is facing budget problems right now.

thanks again and best of luck to both of you!

Right, SDSU is a CSU school, as leesta said, to be clear. So it probably does suffer some of the same effects of budget cuts that the rest are - but to what extent, I don't know. From what I hear, LB's grad program is having a harder time in that area.

I am CA resident so the budget problems of public schools is FAR outweighed by the benefits of the affordable tuition and the good reputation of this program. I did undergrad at two CA CSUs and I sure did shitty things happen as we lost money - but I don't have any basis of comparison to say if they are worse than other public schools in other states now. Also - undergrad programs (where I am speaking from experience) and grad programs might be affected differently - just speculating.

If you were in-state I'd say - go anyway, you can't beat that price! Out of state, I don't know enough to give any useful advice. I guess it depends on what other programs you get into and their pros and cons. Also - call SD and ask! They would be the first place who would know exactly what the future of the budget means, and how much it would affect (or not affect) their department.

I would definitely agree with this, and have to say that which school each individual chooses is a personal question that has to be only the individual can answer. I have done undergrad, graduate, and post-bac work at the Cal State system. I would venture to say that each campus will have its own pros and cons, and even different departments within a single campus would probably be affected differently by the budget difficulties we have seen.

My personal experience has lead me to desire a change to see whether I can obtain a higher quality education in a different system, and a large part of the reason I want to do that is because I want to increase my chances of working in medical settings (which may not be an issue for students who want to work in the school setting). I don't want to seem overly critical of the Cal State system, but after my experiences with it, I have decided that I will most likely move to a different system for my SLP degree. I honestly feel a tinge of regret saying that because I love my professors and feel very grateful for all they have done for me.

Thank you Astrid Coleslaw and jkathleen for the input - I really do appreciate it. And yes, I plan to get in touch with the department at SDSU and ask some questions. For what it is worth, I'm actually blown away by how inexpensive out-of-state tuition is at SDSU - it is just barely more than the in-state tuition at my state's main campus! In all honesty, I think that every single state school in the country is facing budget problems right now.

thanks again and best of luck to both of you!

Thanks. Best of luck to you as well :)

I've been thinking or well prepping myself for the realization that I may not receive an acceptance this year. I wanted to know- is this anyone's second year applying, if so what did you do differently the second time around and was it successful? Thanks!!

Hey there; do not be discouraged! You still have time to hear great news. This is my second time applying, and although my situation is likely a little different than yours, here's what I did. Fail #1 for me last year was applying to only one program coming from outside the major and having taken zero pre-reqs. But I'm glad I applied anyway, because getting my rejection letter gave me an opportunity to speak with the head of the SLP master's program at that school. I asked her to review the strength of my application and give me some pointers. Here's what she told me:

- Schools want to know that I'll succeed academically in their program. If my grades are so-so (3.14 for my BA) then I'll need to make sure that I do well in the classes I'm taking, and find recommenders who can speak to that area.

- Speaking of recommenders, she told me to make sure that I needed to "distinguish myself" from other students. This program gets anywhere from 300-400+ applicants a year. If I couldn't make myself stand out when I'm on campus with the people who would be reviewing my application, where would I stand out, right? She suggested that it would be very helpful to have "cheerleaders" in the department, who would be able to say from personal interaction w/me that they wanted me in the program.

So... I looked up the entire department's staff online (it's all on every department's webpage) and took a look at every professor. Where did she/he go to school? Where did they all work before coming to this school? What were they all interested in? I used this info in meetings/e-mails with professors at my school and the others I thought about applying to. Their perspectives were invaluable, and it made it less awkward to ask for LoRs when I had already built a relationship with some of them.

- Schools want to see good test scores. Even with a 1300 (V: 650, Q 650, AW 4.5) she suggested I re-take the GRE. In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't do this. My verbal number was high enough that I didn't want to risk taking the newfangled exam and getting a lower score. And let's face it; this test sucks.

- Schools want to see involvement. I joined the NSSLHA chapter at the school. I also got a position as a research assistant. I think this was probably the most effective thing I did, because it gave me experience in research in the field, and also showed how committed I am to the major/field.

She also said something to me about looking into other fields, and I ended up leaving her office and having a good cry on the way home. If this is what you know you want to do with your life, don't let a few rejections stand in your way. Find ways to get involved in the field and try to meet with some professors who can write recommendations that will get you noticed. Reach out to your target schools and let them know how much you like their program, try to meet someone in their department who likes the same research fields you do. I hope it all works out for you!

(Sorry for the novel, everyone! I'm a talker!)

Edited by WannabeSLP

... If you know anything about Boston University or Vanderbilt, please share that too. I'm going to try to get in touch with students at these schools but in the meantime, pooling our knowledge would be really helpful. Thanks!

I toured Vanderbilt late last year when I was narrowing down the list of schools I would apply to. I came away with the impression that students there enjoy a high level of support and are very happy with their education. I have been in contact with a current student, and she speaks highly of the program.

Classes and clinical practicums take place in a single building, which is called the Bill Wilkerson Center. I believe there are some off-site placements as well, but most are within the center. The facilities and equipment are top-notch and well cared for. Sue Hale (former ASHA President) is an Assistant Professor and the Director of Clinical Education. She handles clinical placements for students, and stated during the visit that she does her best to work with students to ensure that placements meet their personal goals as much as can be accommodated. She also talked about often being able to assist students in finding CFY positions after graduation.

All of the faculty and staff I came into contact with were professional and answered my questions completely. Students are offered opportunities to participate in research if they desire. After the visit, I honestly have nothing but positive things to say about it. I hope this information is helpful to you.

No need to apologize. That was a bunch of great advice.

That was great advice, and an incredible story! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks folks! :lol:

Oh! forgot to mention that I intentionally applied to programs where I thought I'd have the best shot at getting in. Of course, there are some "reach" schools on the list, but I didn't want to go through the heartbreak again. It just takes one!

So I need advice... about something that might seem pretty dumb. :)

Later this week, I'll be driving 11 hours to go visit a school I recently got accepted to. Because of the long drive (and the fact that I'm attempting it after a work day), my mom is going to join me for road trip company.

This isn't an 'official' school visit or anything, I just emailed the head of the department and I'm meeting at her office for her to talk to me and show me around.

Now for the question... Is it weird if my mom comes along to the actual school visit? She really wants to, but I don't want to seem weird or anything. Should I email and ask?

Later this week, I'll be driving 11 hours to go visit a school I recently got accepted to. Because of the long drive (and the fact that I'm attempting it after a work day), my mom is going to join me for road trip company.

This isn't an 'official' school visit or anything, I just emailed the head of the department and I'm meeting at her office for her to talk to me and show me around.

Now for the question... Is it weird if my mom comes along to the actual school visit? She really wants to, but I don't want to seem weird or anything. Should I email and ask?

I don't believe it would be weird. We are making very important decisions about our future, and I think most faculty appreciate that it's a serious matter and it helps to have a trusted advisor with you. When I toured Vanderbilt, one of the students brought her mother, who stuck with us the entire day. It never seemed strange to me, and I didn't get the impression that anyone from Vandy found it strange either.

Hey there; do not be discouraged! You still have time to hear great news. This is my second time applying, and although my situation is likely a little different than yours, here's what I did. Fail #1 for me last year was applying to only one program coming from outside the major and having taken zero pre-reqs. But I'm glad I applied anyway, because getting my rejection letter gave me an opportunity to speak with the head of the SLP master's program at that school. I asked her to review the strength of my application and give me some pointers. Here's what she told me:

- Schools want to know that I'll succeed academically in their program. If my grades are so-so (3.14 for my BA) then I'll need to make sure that I do well in the classes I'm taking, and find recommenders who can speak to that area.

- Speaking of recommenders, she told me to make sure that I needed to "distinguish myself" from other students. This program gets anywhere from 300-400+ applicants a year. If I couldn't make myself stand out when I'm on campus with the people who would be reviewing my application, where would I stand out, right? She suggested that it would be very helpful to have "cheerleaders" in the department, who would be able to say from personal interaction w/me that they wanted me in the program.

So... I looked up the entire department's staff online (it's all on every department's webpage) and took a look at every professor. Where did she/he go to school? Where did they all work before coming to this school? What were they all interested in? I used this info in meetings/e-mails with professors at my school and the others I thought about applying to. Their perspectives were invaluable, and it made it less awkward to ask for LoRs when I had already built a relationship with some of them.

- Schools want to see good test scores. Even with a 1300 (V: 650, Q 650, AW 4.5) she suggested I re-take the GRE. In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't do this. My verbal number was high enough that I didn't want to risk taking the newfangled exam and getting a lower score. And let's face it; this test sucks.

- Schools want to see involvement. I joined the NSSLHA chapter at the school. I also got a position as a research assistant. I think this was probably the most effective thing I did, because it gave me experience in research in the field, and also showed how committed I am to the major/field.

She also said something to me about looking into other fields, and I ended up leaving her office and having a good cry on the way home. If this is what you know you want to do with your life, don't let a few rejections stand in your way. Find ways to get involved in the field and try to meet with some professors who can write recommendations that will get you noticed. Reach out to your target schools and let them know how much you like their program, try to meet someone in their department who likes the same research fields you do. I hope it all works out for you!

(Sorry for the novel, everyone! I'm a talker!)

No need to apologize!! You have some great advice and I'm glad you shared. I feel that I may have a shot at one school I didn't hear from,but if that goes south I just want to mentally be prepared and I'm trying to figure out ways that I can boost my resume. I have a few things lined up that I'm really excited about so I'll see how that goes! Thanks again!

I don't believe it would be weird. We are making very important decisions about our future, and I think most faculty appreciate that it's a serious matter and it helps to have a trusted advisor with you. When I toured Vanderbilt, one of the students brought her mother, who stuck with us the entire day. It never seemed strange to me, and I didn't get the impression that anyone from Vandy found it strange either.

Great, thank you!!

I don't think that it's weird. Last week I visited one of the schools that I was accepted to, which I flew from out of state to visit, and my mom came on the trip with me, as well as going along with me to visit the school. I think that it's totally understandable that you would want a second opinion about the program before making a decision. I went ahead and asked the advisor that I was meeting with if it would be alright to bring my mom with me, just so that they would be expecting it...so you might want to consider that, but I don't think that it's a big deal either way.

No need to apologize!! You have some great advice and I'm glad you shared. I feel that I may have a shot at one school I didn't hear from,but if that goes south I just want to mentally be prepared and I'm trying to figure out ways that I can boost my resume. I have a few things lined up that I'm really excited about so I'll see how that goes! Thanks again!

Hello! I know it is rare but some schools also accept in the spring semester. The school I go to now for undergrad (UCF) does, and it is a lot less competitive in the spring. So for anyone who does not get in this time around, you could always reapply for spring!! That will only be one semester later instead of a whole year later!! :) Good luck everyone!!

I'm also bringing my mom with me on a visit - I would say though, that it might be good to talk about how much you really want her involved in the visit - I want my mom there to see and hear everything I'm seeing and hearing so that we can discuss things together later, but I don't necessarily want her asking a ton of questions...I went to visit a different campus earlier this fall, and one of the girls had brought along her mother. This mom pretty much took over the campus visit, asking tons of questions that could easily have been answered with a cursory glance at the program's website - that was a bit annoying, but I wasn't bothered by any of the other parents in attendance.

You've already been accepted, so I can understand why previous posters said that it probably wouldn't matter much. Personally, however, I think you have more to lose than gain from bringing your mother, since you could potentially be making a first impression on the people who will have an important influence over your life for the next few years. I'm sure that the people at the university will be friendly and suspect that they have encountered this before, but they might also think that you are immature or need hand-holding (which I'm sure is not true).

When I went to the Northwestern open house, a few students' mothers came on the tours with them. At the social event after the open house, a lot of people mentioned that they thought it sent a bad impression. Afterwards, I mentioned the situation to my parents (a teacher and a professor) and they agreed that they would not look favorably upon a graduate student who brought their parents to anything except an event along the lines of a move-in day or social reception.

Though we rely on our parents for advice and support throughout our lives (I am in my mid-30s and have been consulting my parents throughout this process), graduate students are fully-independent adults. We should be able to interact with university educators without our parents present, and we should also be able to synthesize and analyze the information from a school visit after we have left, so that our parents and other important people in our lives can give us advice.

That's my two cents...

So I know this was already answered in detail by wannabeSLP, but I thought I would add in my two cents too.

This is also my second round of applications (but I kinda consider it a 1.5 round). Last time I applied I did so to both 3 year programs and post bacc programs. Now I don't know your situation but I was applying directly out of my first undergrad with very little experience in the field. I had some volunteer work with special needs adults and children but I went to a Jesuit school and having that kind of experience was kinda expected to graduate. Plus it was not all that extensive. I was rejected from almost every three year school I applied to and rejected from a wait list to the other. But I got into all three post bacc programs I applied to and decided to attend what I thought would be the most academically rigorous and give me the best chance of getting into grad schools the second time around. I also used the opportunity to find out what exactly it was I wanted to do in the field and to boost my resume with more related volunteer opportunities and research experience. This also helped me get better letters of rec as 99% of them were from either my speech and hearing science teachers or my research supervisor. It also was helpful because it really forced me to realize not only what kind of learner I am but what type of school (more research or clinically based) would thrive in. I also re-took the GRE because while my first set of scores were decent (between 1000 and 1100) I knew I could do better ( I got over a 1200 the second time and could have done better but I over thought the math).

As I said I don't know your situation (if you are an out of field applicant or if you have all your pre-recs done) but here is what I would advise if you like me were an out of field applicant:

-- take some (or all) of your pre-recs. I know that it is not feasible for everyone to take a second bachelors degree's worth of credits but if you can at least get some of them done it will open up a world of opportunities for you. If you can take a second bachelors degree worth I would recommend doing so. The reason I say this is because it makes it so you can apply to any of the 200+ schools in the country not just the ones that have five classes as their pre-recs. I don't know much about USU but I know it is a popular online choice because it is inexpensive. Portland State also has a non-competitive application process for their post-bacc and accepts applications until June. But they are not online. If you can only take a handful of classes take them. But make sure you are taking the ones that the schools you want to apply to require you to have. I know UW requires a ton of credits to apply to their masters program and Northeastern only requires five to start the program.

-- get involved in related research. I worked at UWs Autism center for a year and even though the research was not directly related to speech pathology it did relate to my interest in the field. This was helpful because it showed me off as a more well-rounded student and while I don't want to go into research I understand how it works and the importance behind it. Plus it allows for a recommendation that is separate from just the standard academics ones.

-- do some volunteer work that is related to the field. You'd be surprised by the number of people looking for free labor. It does not necessarily even have to be with a SLP but if you are able to find something working with special needs kids or stroke survivors it will show a furthered interest in speech pathology. I know at least in my school district you can apply to be a teachers aid as long as you graduated from high school. You can typically request to work with special needs kids and often aids make pretty decent money. It would be a way to make money while you re-apply and get experience at the same time. Plus you'll likely get a good, unique recommendation out of it.

-- If you haven't already (or even if you have) shadow speech pathologists in various settings and get your 25 hours of observation in.

-- If you think you can do better on the GRE, re-take it. As wannabeSLP said, it's not a fun test but if you think it will make a difference the three months of suffering to study and the 1/3 of a day to take the test is worth it. Just drink a bottle of wine afterwards haha.

If you DO have a background in SLP then you could still do a number of these things. If you can re-take any class you got a C or below in (major related classes). And/or take related classes (like abnormal psych, developmental psych, neuroscience) at a local community college or online. Get involved in research and volunteer/paid work, shadow, re-take the GRE etc.

I agree with wannabeSLP that you also have to look at the schools you are applying to. While there is not really such a thing as a "safety school" in this field, some schools are harder to get into than others. Sometimes it isn't even the rankings of the schools that make them hard to get into. The Cal States are very low raked but due to a lack of funding and a high number of applicants they are a really tough ticket. Look at the results board (but take it with a HUGE grain of salt), see if the schools post ave GRE/GPAs of accepted students (or email them to ask if they don't) and see where you fit in. Keep in mind that many schools don't only look at grades and scores which is why adding volunteer and research experience is a must. You have to make yourself stand out and that is sometimes hard to do. But schools really seem to appreciate tenacity so IF you don't get in this year keep trying.

Now this is hopefully all moot. You still have several schools to hear back from and all you need is one acceptance. I understand the need to think three steps ahead but don't worry too much about next year yet. Wait and see and if you have to re-apply, you will make yourself a stronger applicant, re-apply and get into a school. The good thing about this field is that there are a TON of jobs out there and that is not going to change if you have to delay your grad school plans a year.

I saw someone above mention pooling knowledge about schools, and it sounded like a fantastic idea! So, in that vein, I'm wondering if anyone has any wisdom to share about the University of Washington (particularly the MedSLP program), or Seattle more generally. I applied to UW as a long-shot, but somehow managed to get accepted! Part of me feels like I should jump at the chance to go to UW before they realize they made a mistake offering me admission, but I'm also encountering a lot of doubts that I hadn't really thought about before I knew it was actually an option to attend their program. The main doubt is cost, or more specifically, whether the specialized nature of the program justifies the additional cost, and/or whether it might end up being a drawback in some ways (perhaps it's TOO limiting to cut out the school-based parts of the graduate program?). I'm also entertaining some negative thoughts about the difficulties of living in Seattle, especially when compared to smaller communities, like, say Forest Grove, OR (I've also been accepted at Pacific), or even Portland, where I am now. I've heard a fair amount about the high cost of living, crappy traffic, etc. in Seattle, and I wonder if those difficulties on top of a rigorous graduate program would feel like an unnecessary burden when I could get as good an education at a school where I wouldn't have to sit in traffic, fight for parking, and pay $900 for a studio apartment. But of course, as soon as I start to think this way, I swing back to thinking about what a fantastic opportunity it would be to attend such a great program, and how I should embrace the chance to explore a new city while I'm still young and as mobile as I'll likely ever be.

So, if anyone has any thoughts or insights, I'd LOVE to hear. I've scoured UW's site for all the information I can find about the program itself, but I feel like I can't only trust what are essentially the school's promotional materials. I plan to drive up for a visit before April 15, but until then, I know it would be helpful for me (and probably anyone else considering this program) to hear any impressions people have picked up about UW or Seattle. Is anyone else on here considering the MedSLP program?

When I went to the Northwestern open house, a few students' mothers came on the tours with them. At the social event after the open house, a lot of people mentioned that they thought it sent a bad impression. Afterwards, I mentioned the situation to my parents (a teacher and a professor) and they agreed that they would not look favorably upon a graduate student who brought their parents to anything except an event along the lines of a move-in day or social reception.

Though we rely on our parents for advice and support throughout our lives (I am in my mid-30s and have been consulting my parents throughout this process), graduate students are fully-independent adults. We should be able to interact with university educators without our parents present, and we should also be able to synthesize and analyze the information from a school visit after we have left, so that our parents and other important people in our lives can give us advice.

That's my two cents...

I also attended the Northwestern open house and overheard a mother speaking with some faculty about what she felt "didn't work" about the open house. Her tone was very off putting and harsh.

While this is an extreme example, I would make sure you're both on the same page regarding her level of involvement. It would be embarrassing for both of you if you had different expectations.

My mom is also driving with me to my open houses, but we both felt it was best for me to go alone. Even though my mom worked in the medical field for a long time, she said she would be oblivious about most of the speech-language pathology terminology and didn't think she'd get much out of it. I feel like I'm going to follow my gut after I've completed my visits and use my mom as a resource to talk it out.

I hadn't thought about a lot of the points raised above, but I can see both sides of the issue.

I saw someone above mention pooling knowledge about schools, and it sounded like a fantastic idea! So, in that vein, I'm wondering if anyone has any wisdom to share about the University of Washington (particularly the MedSLP program), or Seattle more generally. I applied to UW as a long-shot, but somehow managed to get accepted! Part of me feels like I should jump at the chance to go to UW before they realize they made a mistake offering me admission, but I'm also encountering a lot of doubts that I hadn't really thought about before I knew it was actually an option to attend their program. The main doubt is cost, or more specifically, whether the specialized nature of the program justifies the additional cost, and/or whether it might end up being a drawback in some ways (perhaps it's TOO limiting to cut out the school-based parts of the graduate program?). I'm also entertaining some negative thoughts about the difficulties of living in Seattle, especially when compared to smaller communities, like, say Forest Grove, OR (I've also been accepted at Pacific), or even Portland, where I am now. I've heard a fair amount about the high cost of living, crappy traffic, etc. in Seattle, and I wonder if those difficulties on top of a rigorous graduate program would feel like an unnecessary burden when I could get as good an education at a school where I wouldn't have to sit in traffic, fight for parking, and pay $900 for a studio apartment. But of course, as soon as I start to think this way, I swing back to thinking about what a fantastic opportunity it would be to attend such a great program, and how I should embrace the chance to explore a new city while I'm still young and as mobile as I'll likely ever be.

So, if anyone has any thoughts or insights, I'd LOVE to hear. I've scoured UW's site for all the information I can find about the program itself, but I feel like I can't only trust what are essentially the school's promotional materials. I plan to drive up for a visit before April 15, but until then, I know it would be helpful for me (and probably anyone else considering this program) to hear any impressions people have picked up about UW or Seattle. Is anyone else on here considering the MedSLP program?

While I can't offer much about the MedSLP program I am happy to give my two cents about the department and Seattle.

You will no doubt get a fantastic education at UW. The professors there are some of the best in the field and deservedly so. If you want to work in a hospital with adults and are entertaining the idea of eventually getting a PhD then this program will certainly prepare you. I have heard rumors (none actually confirmed) that if you want to work in one of the major hospitals in Seattle right out of grad school they basically require you to have a med specialty. From what I understand from speaking to students that were in the med track you leave feeling very prepared to work in a medical setting. The resources you would have from working and learning at UW would be very valuable. But yes it is very expensive and funding is hard to come by. There are many successful SLPs who work in medical settings and did not go to UW. Plus the school isn't going anywhere so if you wanted to get a PhD or a post doc there, there that is still an option.

In terms of living in Seattle, I guess everything is relative. I came from LA so traffic was worse and rent was higher. You actually can find decent places to live at a decent price. Parking is a pain in the butt, but as long as you live within bussing distance to UW you really shouldn't need to drive that often. You can get a Upass for about $100 a quarter that allows you to take any of the public transportation Seattle has to offer (when I left Seattle bus fare was about 2.50 a trip so it pays for itself pretty quickly if you are using it regularly).

I think visiting is a really good idea. Email them and ask if you can speak to a current MedSLP student. It is likely you will get an unbiased pro and con viewpoint from them and you won't feel quite like you are being "sold" the school.

Good luck!

I toured Vanderbilt late last year when I was narrowing down the list of schools I would apply to. I came away with the impression that students there enjoy a high level of support and are very happy with their education. I have been in contact with a current student, and she speaks highly of the program.... After the visit, I honestly have nothing but positive things to say about it. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Thank you so much! Vanderbilt sounds wonderful. I really hope I get in, but I'm not sure if Nashville has a good enough job market for my husband to make it a feasible option even if I do get in. We'll see. Did you happen to visit UT?

Hi! I think this is almost a repeat of the poster above but here are my two cents. I didn't apply to UW but I was going to on the recommendation of one of my professors. She attended the doctorate program there and said that the professors are unbelievably smart and that she wished that she had attended their masters program. She said that you cannot beat the placements that you can get at UW, especially if you are interested in a medical setting. She mentioned that if you want to work at a hospital, a degree from UW is as good as gold. I didn't end up applying there because of the high cost (I'm out of state), I don't want to work in a medical setting, and I'm not a huge fan of cities.

Also, my sister lives in Seattle (by the space needle) and although it is expensive, she has repeatedly said that the benefits of living there make up for the extreme cost of rent. Also, if you can find people to room with, costs shouldn't be too bad. She has never had a car and has lived there for over 6 years-- she loves the bus system. I also agree with your thoughts about moving somewhere new while you are young-- that is my plan, too :). Also! I see you are applying to WSU, they are sending out the emails about decisions tomorrow!

Edited by SLP1129