EPA STAR Fellowship 2011

ralph m

• 2 months later...

I know a handful of past recipients who all indicated that they were notified by phone. Additionally, these individuals were all notified at different times that spanned over a few week period. Maybe something to do with the Funding Opportunity Number that they applied under (?).

Last year, the deadline to hear from the EPA was May 30 (http://www.epa.gov/n...gradfellow.html) so people heard ahead of time. Apparently this is not the case this year.

I just went to the website and it says this, which I don't remember seeing before...that's tomorrow!

A. Award Notices

A written evaluation provided by the external peer review will be provided to each applicant with an award or declination letter. If selected to receive a fellowship, you will be contacted no later than April 1, 2011 and should subsequently receive your official notification of award by June 30, 2011, for the fall term. Please note that this schedule may be changed without notification due to factors that were not anticipated at the time of announcement. The earliest anticipated start date for these awards is September 1, 2011.

As of now, this forum has reached more than 3,415 views. This leads me to believe that 1.) not many award notices have been given or 2.) people are keeping some really tight lips. I want to believe that the EPA is exercising the "Please note that this schedule may be changed without notification due to factors that were not anticipated at the time of announcement' caveat to the ward notices.

I just went to the website and it says this, which I don't remember seeing before...that's tomorrow!

A. Award Notices

A written evaluation provided by the external peer review will be provided to each applicant with an award or declination letter. If selected to receive a fellowship, you will be contacted no later than April 1, 2011 and should subsequently receive your official notification of award by June 30, 2011, for the fall term. Please note that this schedule may be changed without notification due to factors that were not anticipated at the time of announcement. The earliest anticipated start date for these awards is September 1, 2011.

As of now, this forum has reached more than 3,415 views. This leads me to believe that 1.) not many award notices have been given or 2.) people are keeping some really tight lips. I want to believe that the EPA is exercising the "Please note that this schedule may be changed without notification due to factors that were not anticipated at the time of announcement' caveat to the ward notices.

Yeah. I am really surprised by that date, actually. The email in November said notifications in 6 months, so I figured they would start notifying by April 1, similar to other years....I guess we will find out soon enough.

With all the federal budget uncertainty a delay in award decisions is probably pretty likely.

The general content of, ahem, PigBenis's post makes it seem rather unreliable. Of course, if someone has legitimately heard, please chime in! I think they try to notify before April 15 because that's when new students have to notify schools of their matriculation, and funding is a huge factor in those decisions. Furthermore, if you look at posts for EPA STAR cycles from previous years on here, it does seem like there was a wave of notices over a couple weeks in early April. It makes the most sense for this to be based on FON. Given this is government, are we surprised there is a delay from the April 1 date? Money was likely already encumbered into budgeting for these fellowships, so I think it's less likely they are trying to trim the budget. More likely they are just trying to even out the pie across the US from a large pool of excellent candidates. I'm sure we'll start hearing things soon. Hopefully anyway! Good luck everyone!

Edited by AquaFlux

Haven't heard anything here. I'm sure their offices close at 5pm EST (Washington DC). So if no one hears in the next few hours, its probably not going to be until next week...

Anyone heard?! I can't take this...

Haven't heard anything here. I'm sure their offices close at 5pm EST (Washington DC). So if no one hears in the next few hours, its probably not going to be until next week...

Very true - maybe they'll notify on Monday, then. Has anyone attempted calling to inquire? I haven't done this, but I may on Monday around say 4:30 PM EST if I haven't heard anything.

Good luck to all, and don't stress too much over the weekend.

I work for the EPA, and my boss is on the 'relevancy review' board. He says he hasn't gotten anything to review yet, so I wouldn't expect anything soon. He said probably 1-2 months.

Sorry to disappoint.

Wow, so that means that applications haven't even moved from external to internal review. If they are this far behind, it would be nice if they at least send rejections sooner rather than later to those that don't make it to internal review.

My 2 cents:

(1) I know my advisor's DoD proposal has been more-or-less approved, with the caveat that they first need to get money from the government before they can actually give her the green light. It would not surprise me if all government research funding is on hold until the budget comes through.

(2) Last year (in which the budget was also delayed) I didn't get a rejection from EPA STAR until the end of May.

I submitted an application but don't think I will make it (again) this year. Dr. Hand-Waver was too busy to read the final draft of my research proposal; I'd made some rather spectacular changes in it since the previous draft, and really thought I needed her input. I'm not sure that's a good thing...

However, writing the thing *was* good practice.

I work for the EPA, and my boss is on the 'relevancy review' board. He says he hasn't gotten anything to review yet, so I wouldn't expect anything soon. He said probably 1-2 months.

Sorry to disappoint.

I guess when they say the schedule may "change without notification" they really mean it. How disappointing...

Very true - maybe they'll notify on Monday, then. Has anyone attempted calling to inquire? I haven't done this, but I may on Monday around say 4:30 PM EST if I haven't heard anything.

Good luck to all, and don't stress too much over the weekend.

We're all looking forward to hearing what you find out! :)

We're all looking forward to hearing what you find out! :)

Sorry! Never got around to it...I'll call them tomorrow. I'll post whatever I hear.