what's up with Purdue??

I'm dying waiting for Purdue to respond. After being rejected by 8 programs this is pretty much my last hope. I emailed the DGS at the beginning of the week, but haven't got any reply.

Why are they taking so long? Anyone know what's going on there?

I got accepted at Purdue in early March with assistantship &c. The letter asked us to reply by the 25th of March with a decision. Well, I'm waiting to find out if my partner was also accepted (she's in a similar boat to you-no letter or anything) so I hadn't responded figuring I had until the 15th anyway. I received an e-mail yesterday saying they wanted a response by today so I accepted...but perhaps this means that they're trying to get a sense of what openings they have as soon as possible and they'll notify people soon about delayed acceptance/rejection.

This is a very good question...they are a remaining wild card in my choices.

Over 2 weeks ago, I got this email, if it is any help:

"This is Pat Sullivan, chair of the R/C Admissions. Thomas asked me to answer your query, and I am happy to do so.

We do not have aid at this time for you, and so we have not acted on your application. The committee has read and discussed it, and we have put it on a waiting list for aid. But, we do not admit students unless we have aid for them, and so there is no answer at this time.

I understand this process is long and frustrating, but we have found that the ultimate class is happiest if everyone has a ta-ship. My best guess about when you will hear is in April before the 15th.

Thank you for your patience.

Pat Sullivan"

Your partner's app might be in the same situation. I might add that I am a Master's applicant in Rhetoric and Composition, for what it's worth.

Thanks grifter. What I don't understand is that I haven't heard *anything at all* from Purdue. Absolutely nothing. I emailed the DGS a week ago, but no reply. The last communication I had from them was on March 12, when the grad secretary told me that a decision won't be made for at least another 2 weeks. But now it's been 3 weeks.

I'd like to think that I'm on the waitlist, but based on the results forum, it looks like Purdue hasn't sent out rejections either. So it seems they're holding on to everyone's applications, not just the waitlisted ones. I can't make head or tail of what they're doing. It would have made more sense if they had sent out the rejections and were just holding on to the ones they'd like to admit.

This non-communication is just killing me :cry:

Unfortunately, my partner e-mailed the secretary Sunday night and got a reply Monday afternoon that she was not accepted. A short, kind of rude e-mail, at that. Just "We will not be offering you admission or an assistantship." So, it seems at least some decisions have been made. Now I just have to decide whether I should go to Purdue or to a significantly lower ranked program even though I told Purdue I was going there. That's why a program shouldn't require early responses. This is no fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear anything new from Purdue? I emailed the grad secretary weeks ago and never received any sort of response. Given that they've already pressured some of the early admits to make commitments, it's puzzling to me that they're still not letting the unofficial wait-listers know where we stand. Or maybe my application was rejected in the first round of reviews and they never got round to telling me! I've never heard of a school sitting on a stack of sure rejections until the deadline, but maybe that's what we've got here.