Uncertainty of gradschool future is farting on my strategies to find a job

Bonkers

So I think I'm going to get offered a new job next week (already had two interviews, just have to be reviewed and possibly interviewed by the final decider)... I couldn't wait to apply because sticking with my current job was going to cause me to jab my eye out with a stick. Anyway, that should mean that about 0.5 seconds after I sign on the dotted line a school acceptance will come in, yes?

Ugh, yes! I have a second interview for a job on Monday. It's a full time job + benefits and I'm pretty much a receptionist. If you get offered the job, will you accept it?

Oh yes, I'll be taking the job! 1) Each of the three PhD programs to which I applied have a 2% acceptance rate, so it's not all that likely, 2) My current job has gone down the crapper and I have to get out to save my sanity and I'd rather do that with an income than not. The only thing my current job had going for me was enough good will that I could have told them about an acceptance and they would have kept me through the summer. New job I would have to be all sneaky-like and give two-weeks notice.

Edited by crayolacat

So I started a new job...

I have to wake up at 6:30 every morning. I can't believe so many people do this... have jobs. It freakin' sucks.

I eat lunch in a "teacher's lounge" furnished with toddler-sized furniture. While my supervisors are educated, a few of my co-workers might be dumb as rocks. Evidence: Today, the girl with brown hair who brought her "meat puff" culinary creation asked: "Why is it that some people you search on google their name comes up and sometimes you search someone and their name doesn't come up? Like sometimes you click image and you see their picture and sometimes you don't." What is that supposed to mean?! Eventually I figured out that this was an optimization question.

I am not incredibly happy, but it will do until school starts.

Pro: I get all the Jewish holidays off!

I submitted my resume to a few temp agencies this week and have received calls back from all of them. They seem to really like people with research experience (proves we can think?). I'd suggest it to others especially if you're in or near a big city. I'm hoping to find a 2-4 month gig... I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank goodness for summer jobs. That's all I can say. At least your contract is over before school starts. They buy time and experience.

I submitted my resume to a few temp agencies this week and have received calls back from all of them. They seem to really like people with research experience (proves we can think?). I'd suggest it to others especially if you're in or near a big city. I'm hoping to find a 2-4 month gig... I'll let you know how it goes.

What kind of job are you hoping to get from a temp agency? I'd love to quit my current job and go somewhere else for a few months if I could, even if I make the same amount of money. I feel exploited at my current job because I do skilled work at an insulting wage. I have to be in the bottom 10% range for this type of work. If I'm going to make an insulting wage I'd at least like to being doing easy work.

What kind of job are you hoping to get from a temp agency? I'd love to quit my current job and go somewhere else for a few months if I could, even if I make the same amount of money. I feel exploited at my current job because I do skilled work at an insulting wage. I have to be in the bottom 10% range for this type of work. If I'm going to make an insulting wage I'd at least like to being doing easy work.

The temp jobs are generally basic admin stuff. I'm looking for more of an admin assistant position than straight data entry or reception because it is more varied. I interviewed with one recruiter today, and she said that 2-4 month gigs are pretty hard to find, but 2 weeks is totally reasonable. The pay ranges quite a bit ($12 to $16 mostly, can be as low as $10, or as high as $22), it just depends on the job.

Im way underpaid, too, but all of my experience is in non profit and academia. I would expect a 35% pay increase if i switched to the private sector full time. Hopefully I'll get into grad school and this wont be an issue....

I also have a job dilemma. A library assistant job has just opened up in a convenient location nearby with hours that are good for me. I want to apply, I so want to apply.

The problem?

I am still waiting for an answer from a PhD program. If I get into that program with funding, I won't need the job. If I don't get into the program or don't get funding, then I'm doing my MLIS part time, and the job would make so much sense for me. Do I apply anyway? I'm leaning toward yes.

Help. Please.

Just apply for that job. It'll still take a while for the job people to get back to you. If you hear from the PhD program in the meantime, you can just call up the library people and withdraw your application.

When you guys are applying for really entry-level jobs (e.g. Starbucks), do you usually end up putting down your undergrad information?

I think so... well, I know that my motivation would be to inform the manager know that I am too good for the job, allowing him/her to expect my daily indignant attitude and poor work ethic. However, if the job really is at Starbucks, I do not think it matters whether you put down your BA degree or not because they will hire anyone that is over 16.