Interdisciplinarity: Art History without an AH major (or minor)

NonJeNeRegretteRien

I was curious as to how many people out there pursuing advanced study in art history (either PhD or MA) DO NOT actually possess an undergraduate major or minor in the discipline?

The reason I ask is for a little perspective... and perhaps a reality check. I have an undergraduate degree in anthropology and literature and an MA in philosophy. I'm seriously considering applying to PhD programs in art history even though I only took 3 art historical courses as an undergrad in addition to a bunch of post-grad continuing studies courses.... I also work at an arts institution.

My logic is that I have a strong grounding in critical theory (thanks to my critically-orientated interdisciplinary background), which is an invaluable foundation for someone such as myself who's interested in the social history of art?

Do others have experience with this type of predicament? Level of viability? Thanks!

Moi non plus.

Anyway, what is your area of research in particular? For an MA, if you took "a bunch of post-grad continuing studies courses" in art history I think you should be fine, but if you want to go directly into a PhD program, maybe check out some visual studies programs? Especially if you are interested in social history and identity politics and what have you. I did undergrad at one of the more traditional art history schools and I'm actually trying to branch away from that.

PM me if you want some articles on visual studies.

I was curious as to how many people out there pursuing advanced study in art history (either PhD or MA) DO NOT actually possess an undergraduate major or minor in the discipline?

The reason I ask is for a little perspective... and perhaps a reality check. I have an undergraduate degree in anthropology and literature and an MA in philosophy. I'm seriously considering applying to PhD programs in art history even though I only took 3 art historical courses as an undergrad in addition to a bunch of post-grad continuing studies courses.... I also work at an arts institution.

My logic is that I have a strong grounding in critical theory (thanks to my critically-orientated interdisciplinary background), which is an invaluable foundation for someone such as myself who's interested in the social history of art?

Do others have experience with this type of predicament? Level of viability? Thanks!

I applied to one pure Art History PhD program and one joint Art History and Film Studies program with a an undergraduate major in neither. (In fact, one of my undergraduate majors was literally called "Interdisciplinary Studies"). Of course, the jury's still out on my acceptance, and it's very unlikely that I'll get in.

Regardless of my own chances, I think one way to deal with your situation is to check the backgrounds of current students in the programs you're interested in applying to. Also, if you scour the websites, especially FAQ sections, you can generally find a little something about what kind of background they're looking for. Both of the 2 programs I listed above either explicitly encouraged applications from non-major/minors or enrolled several students from related disciplines.

As the above poster points out, though, it really depends on what your specific interests are; depending on those, you may want to apply to some uncommon or nontraditional programs, like visual studies.

I'm in a similar situation; in fact, so similar that I cannot tell you how it will turn out either :lol: I skipped applying to my alma mater because they explicitly ask for art history majors. I think your chosen field will affect what a "related field" is. For example, an English PhD and I (a Medieval Studies MA majoring in art history) are taking a Historiography in Art History course. You'd think that the person with half a dozen art history courses would be much better prepared than the lit person with no background. But as our course seems to be all on 19th c. asceticism I'm completely useless (my art history begins and ends in medieval), while she's got both straightforward historical background and experience in contemporary theory to work with.

It sounds, NonJeNeRegretteRien, that you are going for a "field" or rather specialization that lines up with your background, and I would hope that that makes you a stand-out candidate. There must be dozens if not hundreds of "art history major-art history MA-internship at an art museum-now applying for art history PhD" candidates, but probably only one with your interdisciplinary background AND job experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I graduated in 09 with a degree in Electrical Engineering and took a total of 3 AH courses during my undergrad. Applied last year to PhD programs in Art History and got rejected by all. This year applied to MA programs and so far got one acceptance and no rejections. I still have a hard time believing that any reputable program would accept a student with an engineering background--I was ready to take some more AH courses and apply again next year--but apparently it's doable. I did do a bunch of extracurricular work in art/art history and I think that helped. The SOP and sample must have helped too as my GPA was far from stellar--but then again, 90% of my classes were either math, physics, engineering or computer science. I can expand if anyone is interested.

Edited by artgeek

In keeping with the thread, I do know a person with a Master's in Philosophy now pursuing a doctorate's. I also know of a person with a Master's in Library Science pursuing a doctorate's. Both candidates I haven't spoken with in a while, but I believe it's possible with a few non-Art History degrees. In fact, a few colleges I've researched require that the applicant have a certain degree of knowledge of art history - having relevant courses (almost a minor, or a full minor), to needing a BA in Art History.