Profile evaluation for Fall 2012

DaniMetroplex

Currently in the MS program at North Texas (I have a BA in a completely unrelated field, and this was the easiest route). Some stats:

GPA: 4.0 in CS

GRE: 760Q/630V/4.5AW

LoR: Pretty sure I can get my advisor to say wonderful things about my research and teaching abilities (I'll have at least 2 semesters of TA experience). Other LoRs will probably come from the graduate coordinator for the dept and one other prof (admittedly, this one will probably amount to a did-well-in-class letter).

The big variable at the moment is research. I'm currently working on something in compilers, but obviously, I don't know what the results will be or how well they will be received. So, based on the above info, what kinds of schools could I get into if a paper of mine got accepted at a Tier 1/Tier 2/publication mill type of conference?

Any advice you have is appreciated, and of course, let me know if you need further information.

Your stats are good enough that they aren't going to exclude you from anywhere. You have research experience - pretty solid research experience, if it's good enough to get published.

Is the grad coordinator for the department a prof or other known researcher? Failing that, does he or she at least have a PhD? One thing that matters a lot, given equally good letters, is whether the faculty at your target school have heard of your recommenders.

What programs did your recommenders graduate from? They may have special clout at those departments.

Your stats are good enough that they aren't going to exclude you from anywhere. You have research experience - pretty solid research experience, if it's good enough to get published.

Is the grad coordinator for the department a prof or other known researcher? Failing that, does he or she at least have a PhD? One thing that matters a lot, given equally good letters, is whether the faculty at your target school have heard of your recommenders.

What programs did your recommenders graduate from? They may have special clout at those departments.

First, thanks so much for your response. Yes, the grad coordinator is a professor (a full professor, actually). I'm not terribly familiar with his subfield, but he appears to have a pretty hefty publication record. His PhD is from Alabama--Huntsville; my advisor's is from Colorado State. Unfortunately, my department isn't exactly swimming with alumni from elite schools, so pretty much any recommendation I get is probably going to come from someone out of the caliber of schools like my advisor's.

Regarding my research, like I said, it's in its early stages, so there's no telling how it will turn out. But from your reply, it sounds like if I can get it published somewhere, that will be a big help, if I understand you correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong). It seems like publication would be the best way to overcome what I'm guessing are my biggest hurdles: I'm at a no-name school and don't know any famous people. If at all possible, I'd like to do a Ph.D. at a higher caliber school than where I currently am.

Shifting gears slightly, if I am unable to get anything published, does that kill my chances at a top-tier program? Thanks again for your response.

First, thanks so much for your response. Yes, the grad coordinator is a professor (a full professor, actually). I'm not terribly familiar with his subfield, but he appears to have a pretty hefty publication record. His PhD is from Alabama--Huntsville; my advisor's is from Colorado State. Unfortunately, my department isn't exactly swimming with alumni from elite schools, so pretty much any recommendation I get is probably going to come from someone out of the caliber of schools like my advisor's.

Regarding my research, like I said, it's in its early stages, so there's no telling how it will turn out. But from your reply, it sounds like if I can get it published somewhere, that will be a big help, if I understand you correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong). It seems like publication would be the best way to overcome what I'm guessing are my biggest hurdles: I'm at a no-name school and don't know any famous people. If at all possible, I'd like to do a Ph.D. at a higher caliber school than where I currently am.

Shifting gears slightly, if I am unable to get anything published, does that kill my chances at a top-tier program? Thanks again for your response.

Publications are easily the best way to improve your application chances. You don't need to have a publication to get into a top tier (lets say top 30) CS school, but you probably do need to have some research experience, which you're working on. I do think you have a pretty good chance at a top 30 school. For a top 10 school, you would almost certainly need a publication.

Publications are easily the best way to improve your application chances. You don't need to have a publication to get into a top tier (lets say top 30) CS school, but you probably do need to have some research experience, which you're working on. I do think you have a pretty good chance at a top 30 school. For a top 10 school, you would almost certainly need a publication.

Thanks for your response! I would definitely be cool with a top 30 program. Obviously, top 10 would be better, and I'm going to try and make the most of my research to make that happen, but considering 4 years ago I had nothing but a BA in music history from a liberal arts college nobody's ever heard of, for me a top 30 program would be none too shabby. :D