Fluffy books

qbtacoma

Okay, I have a very specific request: I would like book recommendations for light reading that is engaging but not, you know, all that good.

I have been trying to read nonfiction in my subject area, but then I realized that I may potentially be reading that for the next seven years of my life, so I stopped. I have a research assistantship and if I get a casual book which is too good I won't be motivated to work. I just finished the third George R.R. Martin book and whipped through all 1200 pages in about four days, losing sleep as well as research motivation. And if I pick up Harry Potter I'll just read through all seven books again so that's not an option.

The best writer I've found so far for my purposes is Laurel K. Hamilton: sexy bits, vampires/fairies, and murder investigations, but the characters are all two dimensional so I don't care very much about them and I can stop at any time. However, I've read pretty much everything she has.

As you can see, I like fantasy/urban horror, though I would also be tempted by not-cheesy-but-not-great sci-fi. Well-crafted historical fiction is also an option. Thanks!

For fun, slightly trashy, non-committal reading, I've really been enjoying this series by Andy McDermott. They go really fast, and read pretty much like your typical action/adventure movie. Pretty brainless, somewhat formulaic, but still enough of an original premise to keep it interesting.

The Secret Circle Series. It is a trilogy by J.L. Smith. It's very fluffy, but interesting enough to hold your attention. It is about a group of teenage witches from Massachusetts and the main character is a teenage girl who just moved into town. She discovers that she is a half-witch and eventually is accepted by the group. There is a lot of romance, action, and mystery. An enjoyable read! Edited by ZeChocMoose

If you like urban fantasy, check out the Newford series by Charles de Lint. He writes a ton of short stories and novels set in the same area, and you can read them in any order. Sara Douglass is my favorite fantasy author, especially her Battleaxe/Wayfarer Redemption series.

What about "A Feast for Crows"? Unfortunately, it's not as good as the first three. But still good, and not as long.

Although I don't like most urban fantasy, I'll echo the de Lint recommendation. He's great. (And a Canadian?)

Hmm, not used to recommending books from the B-list...oh, I know! Try "Souls in the Great Machine" by Sean McMullen. Or "Scar Night" by Alan Campbell, which is a bit more urban. Both had their enjoyable bits, but some flaws as well. And they are both start off trilogies, if you find them passable.

I turned to the Sookie Stackhouse series for my fluffy reading. It's also made watching True Blood interesting. When I ran through those, I picked up Price & Prejudice & Zombies then the pre-quel, Dawn of the Dreadfuls. I also enjoyed Sense & Sensibilities & Sea Monsters.

I've taken to 'fluff' reading as well, indulging my fascination with zombies and true crime. I hang my head low when reading it in public, but it's been so good to just read for the sake of reading something I enjoy. I just finished up Max Brooks' World War Z: The Oral History of the Zombie War and Dave Cullen's Columbine. I've never been much of a sci-fi/monsters sort of person, but Brooks book was so enjoyable, such a great idea for a book. And Cullen's writing on Columbine -- definitely not a light topic -- but it does read like a novel and is utterly engrossing. It also has one of my favorite covers ever. Oh, and I love love love Geoff Ryman's take on The Wizard of Oz called Was.

I'm currently reading the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay. I love (love love) the show and need more so I'm on to the books, which are good reads, but not too demanding on time or language.

If you're looking for some non-cheesy sci-fi, I suggest just grabbing a copy of The Year's Best Science Fiction or Hugo Award winners from pretty much any year.

What about "A Feast for Crows"? Unfortunately, it's not as good as the first three. But still good, and not as long.

Although I don't like most urban fantasy, I'll echo the de Lint recommendation. He's great. (And a Canadian?)

Hmm, not used to recommending books from the B-list...oh, I know! Try "Souls in the Great Machine" by Sean McMullen. Or "Scar Night" by Alan Campbell, which is a bit more urban. Both had their enjoyable bits, but some flaws as well. And they are both start off trilogies, if you find them passable.

I'm afraid that if I start A Feast for Crows I will not sleep again in my eagerness to finish it!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I've been meaning to pick up de Lint particularly one of these days, and now I have a good reason.

I'm currently reading the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay. I love (love love) the show and need more so I'm on to the books, which are good reads, but not too demanding on time or language.

If you're looking for some non-cheesy sci-fi, I suggest just grabbing a copy of The Year's Best Science Fiction or Hugo Award winners from pretty much any year.

Ooh, in one of the Year's Best Science Fiction (or perhaps Horror) there was a story called "White" which still creeps me out to think of it. Thanks for reminding me of these collections, they're definitely what I'm looking for.