Excitement (surprise!)

DamianD

Hi guys!

Woah, just wanted to share with you that I just realized that (surprisingly) I'm getting a bit excited! Haha, ok this might sound strange but it was sometime during November when I decided to apply :-) At first I wasn't too serious about so I just Googled a bit and saw that people apply to about 6-8 schools on average so I applied to 6 in the first place and later on to two others as well. However, I just realized that I'm actually a bit excited now to know what they are thinking about my application.

Either they will love or hate my SoP because it was only one alinea :-) Also, I'm not some genius either, but I'm just curious what they think about me, I wish I could be there when they read my application.

Anyway I'm having lots of fun her and can't wait until the rejection letters start pouring in laugh.gif

I just wanted to share this with you!

- D.

I'm excited too! But slowly going insane!

I'm starting to understand how you feel. I don't know why tho, since I doubt that I will get any accept.

Basically my SoP said (I don't have it here so can't copy paste it), (and yes I'm serious about the last line and the reference to my mom :)):

Dear committee,

Like many other students I'm applying to your Math program for the Fall '11. But unlike many others I don't have the solid 4.0, lots of publications or am I showing any other signs of being a dazzling genius. The main reason I'm applying the program is because it sounds like a lot of fun, very challenging and the research areas are very cool! I'm applying because I want just love studying Math and want to study all there is about the topology of the moduli space of Riemann surfaces (and to make my mother proud!)

I'm looking forward to your acceptance letter.

- Damian

That's a bold move, Damian, and I hope it pays off for you! Prospective advisers are likely to appreciate it for its straight-forward nature and brevity.

Honestly, last year, I came so close to submitting this to every school. Kind of wish I would have, in retrospect:

"Dear (University of Interest),

I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.

Sincerely,

jaxzwolf"

I'm excited too! But slowly going insane!

Yeah I know exactly what you mean! Last night I dreamt that I got a big fat envelope from UC Berkeley, opened it and realized that I had gotten in! After sharing the news with my sister (I was at home) I started to yell excitedly out to my Mom, only to wake up, realize it was 7 AM and I had to haul my backside to work :(

So clearly excited, but definitely turning into a crazy person :P

Yeah I know exactly what you mean! Last night I dreamt that I got a big fat envelope from UC Berkeley, opened it and realized that I had gotten in! After sharing the news with my sister (I was at home) I started to yell excitedly out to my Mom, only to wake up, realize it was 7 AM and I had to haul my backside to work :(

So clearly excited, but definitely turning into a crazy person :P

I was about to congratulate you until I realized you said you dreamt it happened. Somehow when I first read that sentence my eyes missed that word! I'm going crazy with the waiting too. I can hardly think about anything else than my applications.

• 3 weeks later...