MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

My mentor told me to know any variation of this question inside and out and be prepared to elaborate in depth:

How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

Nice set!

yeah, it is definitely one of the hardest questions to answer because of the unclear definition of 'contemporary art.'

(well, might be a good thing that it is unclear, in terms of answering the question)

anyways, thanks for the info!

Anyone out there heard from RISD (Graphic Design) or SVA (Illustration)? Do these programs always do interviews?

I got an acceptance from MICA for their new Illustration program, and interview with Pratt Visual Communications MFA... still waiting to hear. unsure.gif

Oh I know right!?haha I spent about 3 days going...??blink.gif?? about it and had to just start writting down randomness until I got a few justifyable concrete concepts. Now whether I'll remember any of it.....ya.

yeah, it is definitely one of the hardest questions to answer because of the unclear definition of 'contemporary art.'

(well, might be a good thing that it is unclear, in terms of answering the question)

anyways, thanks for the info!

I have yet to hear also :-/ I'm not even freaking out anymore at this point because every day I've expected a letter or email and it still hasn't come! It's weird...I'm almost starting to wonder if I typed in the wrong address or email! lol. I'm sure I didn't.

So jealous of people hearing back already....wah.unsure.gif anything/something tomorrow o pleaseee. To distract myself I fully intend to embarrassingly eat ice cream to the bachelor. Does it get any more desperate then that? haha

Same here.

I am also an international student, applied to upenn and new school. no interview yet.

Waiting is hard, but make time on your side :)

good luck!

ahhh i'm freaking out

so far:

rejected: yale, u. of washington at st. louis, u of wisconsin at madison

interview: purchase

waiting to hear from: iu, u. of calif. at irvine, columbia, hunter, buffalo, u. of arizona, u. of washington at seattle, upenn, penn state, vcu

i'm an international student too, so does that make a difference in hearing back??

i mean, i do live in the u.s.

i've read that people have heard back from upenn, but upenn emailed me

two weeks ago, saying that decisions will be posted online on march 14th.

and that i should fill out an international financial aid blah blah something or other.

so no interview process at all for me.

i'm confused!!

AHHHH. I JUST WANT TO GO TO GRAD SCHOOL.

Edited by theshadow

haha I know right, i just gave myself a pep talk about how crap my artist statement was. Sigh. I don't know why we do this to ourselves!! Blah

I have yet to hear also :-/ I'm not even freaking out anymore at this point because every day I've expected a letter or email and it still hasn't come! It's weird...I'm almost starting to wonder if I typed in the wrong address or email! lol. I'm sure I didn't.

thanks! very excited. anyone heard anything else from SAIC? last i check they were mailing more letters last week. i was really hoping to hear from them soon. :unsure:

I don't want to get your hopes down, but for the sake of transparency, I know SAIC is having their interview day on March 5th.

Edited by michaelwebster

Maybe this is an odd question, but do interviewers ever ask you where else you've applied?

I've collected/created 40 may-be-asked-questions at admission interview and trying to prepare for the answers, and this just crossed my mind.

I don't know if they ever ask candidates where else they've applied,

but if they ever did, what would be the best answer?

Do you think we can be honest about it?

yea I was asked this from a few schools. I always answered honestly. I think they can gauge a lot about what your aspirations are, how much research you did, and they want to know who their competition is for you. I don't think its a bad thing at all to have other good schools in your answer to this question, they expect you to apply to many schools. If you have no other schools, then maybe they think your not serious about your career. If you have a list of schools that don't make any sense to your work, then maybe they think you didn't do your research.

I don't know any of this for sure, just the vibe I got when I was asked this question.

Edited by michaelwebster

If it hits march and I still haven't heard, I'm going to call to make sure I am rejected so I don't miss the interview if not!

I don't want to get your hopes down, but for the sake of transparency, I know SAIC is having their interview day on March 5th.

If it hits march and I still haven't heard, I'm going to call to make sure I am rejected so I don't miss the interview if not!

i'm balling up and calling tomorrow. . . times a wastin'

yea I was asked this from a few schools. I always answered honestly. I think they can gauge a lot about what your aspirations are, how much research you did, and they want to know who their competition is for you. I don't think its a bad thing at all to have other good schools in your answer to this question, they expect you to apply to many schools. If you have no other schools, then maybe they think your not serious about your career. If you have a list of schools that don't make any sense to your work, then maybe they think you didn't do your research.

I don't know any of this for sure, just the vibe I got when I was asked this question.

Thanks for your opinion!

I guess they won't ask any further than that (they wouldn't waste time for talking about other schools during interview, yea?)

so I guess I should answer honestly.

It's just the fact that I only applied to schools in London except one, (because that is where I want to start my career at)

so I was afraid that they would think I only care about the "location" rather than "school."

but thanks anyways!

Nothinggg! Nothing at all! So, I researched all the dates that people heard from last year, and some of them have passed! lol. UT Austin last year rejected people on the 16th....waitlisted them on the 28th. I was highly doubting I would get in there, but applied with a spark of hope due to having some connections in the department. (fingers crossed on that)

Then PAFA last year people heard TOMORROW!!! aaaahhh! I am really antsy about that. I wonder if I should call Tyler tomorrow....I think I must be rejected at this point, which is disappointing, but o well. I am just scared to call because if I am rejected, I'd rather find out in the mail than hear it over the phone. I feel happy for everyone who has been getting interviews, etc...but I'm just hoping for good news for the rest of us! Waiting is HARD.

I was pissed today at the fact that darned president's day doesn't allow for mail to be delivered! darn it. I'll be running full speed at the mailbox again tomorrow.

I keep wanting to prepare potential interview answers, but then I'm worried I could jinx myself or something. Be all prepared, and then of course I won't get an interview.

The bright side for us is: no news is certainly not good news, but it's also not necessarily bad news either!!

Still nothing either, Scolby?? This week is the new last week, with the hope that ANYTHING will happen.

I was asked this on one of my apps....I was reluctant to answer. I had applied to 9 other schools, but chose to list only 5 or 6 of them on my app, because I didn't want them to think I was just randomly applying everywhere without a lot of thought. I also didn't want to only name 2 or 3, because I didn't want them to think I thought so highly of myself that I didn't need to apply to more! LOL. that was my weird reasoning.

Nothinggg! Nothing at all! So, I researched all the dates that people heard from last year, and some of them have passed! lol. UT Austin last year rejected people on the 16th....waitlisted them on the 28th. I was highly doubting I would get in there, but applied with a spark of hope due to having some connections in the department. (fingers crossed on that)

Then PAFA last year people heard TOMORROW!!! aaaahhh! I am really antsy about that. I wonder if I should call Tyler tomorrow....I think I must be rejected at this point, which is disappointing, but o well. I am just scared to call because if I am rejected, I'd rather find out in the mail than hear it over the phone. I feel happy for everyone who has been getting interviews, etc...but I'm just hoping for good news for the rest of us! Waiting is HARD.

I was pissed today at the fact that darned president's day doesn't allow for mail to be delivered! darn it. I'll be running full speed at the mailbox again tomorrow.

I keep wanting to prepare potential interview answers, but then I'm worried I could jinx myself or something. Be all prepared, and then of course I won't get an interview.

The bright side for us is: no news is certainly not good news, but it's also not necessarily bad news either!!

Scolby, have people begun to receive notifications from Tyler? My status is still "Completed, Ready for Review." I'm also waiting for PAFA - maybe you and I will wind up in the same program. :)

You know what? Location is really important....if you go to school in London, that is probably where you will begin your career as an artist, so in my opinion, showing that you applied a lot in a specific location couldn't hurt. Shows you know what you want/ recognize that location is important. You should go to school in a place you could see yourself living and working, because you will make important connections there. That's what they told me on my visit to SVA.

Thanks for your opinion!

I guess they won't ask any further than that (they wouldn't waste time for talking about other schools during interview, yea?)

so I guess I should answer honestly.

It's just the fact that I only applied to schools in London except one, (because that is where I want to start my career at)

so I was afraid that they would think I only care about the "location" rather than "school."

but thanks anyways!

This is a completely different department, but my Tyler application for printmaking also says "Completed, Ready for Review." Perhaps that really doesn't mean that we haven't been looked at, but perhaps it just means BEING review??

Scolby, have people begun to receive notifications from Tyler? My status is still "Completed, Ready for Review." I'm also waiting for PAFA - maybe you and I will wind up in the same program. :)

You know what? Location is really important....if you go to school in London, that is probably where you will begin your career as an artist, so in my opinion, showing that you applied a lot in a specific location couldn't hurt. Shows you know what you want/ recognize that location is important. You should go to school in a place you could see yourself living and working, because you will make important connections there. That's what they told me on my visit to SVA.

yeah I do think location is important as well...like you said, i'll be making connections while in school and i'll be starting career there.

thanks, now that you said it, i'm confident about answering the question honestly :)

All I know is that some people said they have already received emails notifying them that they are finalists. I think all "completed, ready for review" means is that you have completed your application materials....i don't think they will even necessarily change this status ever. And I also think that Tyler has already completed their first round of review. But yea, it's a small world, so u never know! We might end up in the same school! Fingers crossed for PAFA...I love it there. I'll be happy even to have one acceptance out of ten. I'm not counting on it tho, so I'm making alternate life plans other than school for the next year.

All I know is that some people said they have already received emails notifying them that they are finalists. I think all "completed, ready for review" means is that you have completed your application materials....i don't think they will even necessarily change this status ever. And I also think that Tyler has already completed their first round of review. But yea, it's a small world, so u never know! We might end up in the same school! Fingers crossed for PAFA...I love it there. I'll be happy even to have one acceptance out of ten. I'm not counting on it tho, so I'm making alternate life plans other than school for the next year.

Crappola, oh well. I've applied to 6 schools - giving myself an ulcer for the responses. Is this your first time applying? I just looked at your website, the shark series is pretty killer - especially the ones with the white backgrounds.