MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

Did you interview in March? Were you just accepted to the MFA program or Post-Bac?

This does seem really strange. But congrats just the same!

Anyone got accepted to SMFA Boston???

I heard nothing back for so long.. and then suddenly I got a very short email today saying Congratulations on your acceptance...

And I just realized last Tuesday I got a call from their Admissions office but I didn't answer it because I thought it's one of those telemarketers who are pursuing me because I requested info on an online MFA program.. bleh..

This is SOOO weird.. I'm suspicious.. I know SMFA did interviews in March.. been assuming rejection all this time, now all of a sudden they said I'm accepted!!! What does this mean???

what program did you apply for? I had to call the school and leave a message with the head of my department in order for her to email me back. I left some desperate "cranbrook is my first choice and I have other schools I'll say yes to if I don't get an answer!" sorta voicemail. Did you also email Kathy the registrar? She's pretty helpful.

What the heck is up with Cranbrook? They aren't answering... nor returning phone messages... and no decision yet.... annnnnd tomorrow is April 15.

for those of us who didn't get into yale. . . i don't know. you might, like, enjoy watching some Tameka Norris!

Tameka Norris

hahaahah, although her rants seem like part of her performances, it's still insightful, thanks for sharing.

Edited by shabu2011

Hey everyone! Congrats to all on such a long, hard and successful application season!!! Thanks so much for joining in and for ll the support throughout the whole process!! I hope ot see maybe one or two of you guys at Penn in the fall and hope to catch up with many f you in galleries over the years!!!!!! good luck with e everything ahead of us! Signing off officially... tongue.gif

@ECM, thanks for the share! Too funny and from what I understand, too true.

I've heard that everyone at Yale is on anti-depressants. I am sure that is an exaggeration, but Tameka Norris said in multiple videos that she was depressed -- even though she was performing, she had to have source material for the performance.

From what I have gathered, Yale can be pretty old fashioned. Although some students still work in performance or video, it is the exception and seems really pushed to the side. And no one really seems to have any kind of experimental practice, social practice, etc. Architecture is destiny; all the painters go in one building and all the sculptors go in another. Then, from what I understand, almost all of the conversation/concerns about work are in light of the history of/formal concerns of 1 medium: How limiting.

Granted, I did not get in to Yale, so it may be the sour grapes talking here... I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who got in / is going to Yale, as that is an accomplishment and it may do a lot for your work and career. And I don't mean to dis Yale, just to point out that it is definitely a very specific conversation and attitude that is not right for everyone.

I think you can expand everything you said there and have it not be so Yale-centric. Every program is different: different faculty, different students, different location, different procedures (academic requirements as prerequisite, academic requirements during the program, etc). That's why it's so important to do your research beforehand and find the school that's going to give you the experience you want.

Edited by Arsolo

I think you can expand everything you said there and have it not be so Yale-centric. Every program is different: different faculty, different students, different location, different procedures (academic requirements as prerequisite, academic requirements during the program, etc). That's why it's so important to do your research beforehand and find the school that's going to give you the experience you want.

Thanks Arsolo, I would love to see your work and where it goes in the next two years. Will you be studying at Yale then?

My site's in my profile. I'm looking forward to seeing what I make as well. And yes I'll be at Yale in he fall.

Your work is pretty awesome as well. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Anyone else heard from Royal College of Art!? I GOT IN?!!?

I'm legitimately shocked because I really wasn't sure how the interview went. They had a lot of "concerns" about my work, which I defended. Normally I would have been much more non-confrontational and respectful, but somehow because I was baffled by their concern, and perhaps because I had already found out I got into Cranbrook, I was very forthright and assertive. As a result, they could have taken me as 1) being refreshingly impressive or 2) a thoroughly arrogant bastard.

Anyhow, it's strange, all so strange. I just wanted to share my experience and feel free to chime in on anything that caught your attention.

Congrats to your acceptance!! I am accepted to RCA too and I am going!!

I think they like people who hold their way strongly...in my opinion :)

Anyone else heard from Royal College of Art!? I GOT IN?!!?

I'm legitimately shocked because I really wasn't sure how the interview went. They had a lot of "concerns" about my work, which I defended. Normally I would have been much more non-confrontational and respectful, but somehow because I was baffled by their concern, and perhaps because I had already found out I got into Cranbrook, I was very forthright and assertive. As a result, they could have taken me as 1) being refreshingly impressive or 2) a thoroughly arrogant bastard.

Anyhow, it's strange, all so strange. I just wanted to share my experience and feel free to chime in on anything that caught your attention.

@FeatherPollow what's your major?do you know how many students accepted this year?

Congrats to your acceptance!! I am accepted to RCA too and I am going!!

I think they like people who hold their way strongly...in my opinion :)

• 3 weeks later...

oh hey i got accepted too but sadly the amount of financial aid they could give

was lower than what ucla's dma offered. I was going to go risd if my nomination fr presidents scholarship

went through + the fellowship. too bad i think i was 3 position away from it.

lets keep in touch? i would love to visit .

Going to RISD's Digital Media program... BURSTING WITH JOY!!!!!!

Anyone else going?

hi ecm

im not sure if it also applied to the arts program but i got accepted to the design media arts program

and its an offer once u get accepted. You will get more merit based awards in year 2 i heard. so

just go ahead and ask about it. It's a huge ass sum of money we're talking about.

Anyone here get into UCLA's MFA program? If so have you received a financial aid package? At this time I've just heard "You will receive at least $15k in a TA position plus gift aid. I understand most of the granted fellowships are awarded from an application process, but I couldn't find that step anywhere on their site. Seems only second year students are eligible or are recommended? So confused. I really don't care to take out $40K in loans for one year.

hi ecm

im not sure if it also applied to the arts program but i got accepted to the design media arts program

and its an offer once u get accepted. You will get more merit based awards in year 2 i heard. so

just go ahead and ask about it. It's a huge ass sum of money we're talking about.

Hey ctrlsave:

Yeah it looks like they won't be making aid/TA position decisions till mid-summer. Spoke with Carron about it, but kinda bummed that I will have to move all of my stuff down there July 1st and there is the possibility of not receiving more than 15k. One thing I caught on my epal was that I'm listed as a California resident. Financial Aid said I would need to talk to registration about changing that . . . but, i'm thinking of holding off there unless they ask for proof. :huh:

Has anyone heard back from SVA who was wait listed? I applied for the Illustration - Visual Essay MFA and haven't heard anything for nearly two months since the wait list letter. I called the other week, and they said that I was still on the wait list queue. It's just driving me up the wall.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

hello all! I have been accepted to New York Academy of Art and started my MFA program in painting last month. I will be documenting my grad experience on my personal blog if anybody is thinking about applying to NYAA or interested in learning more about what goes on there.

www.takingchancesinkansas.blogspot.com

you can follow by email or blogger if you're interested.

thanks!

• 4 months later...

What do you guys think about asking a school to reconsider $$? What happens when someone awarded scholarships decides to decline that school.. who does that money go to? Is it possible for me, as a grad student, to ask for $$?

Has someone ever done that?

I know of a friend declining and she was awarded alot of $$, after she declined another woman that I know was offered it. If the person declines the school the money goes to someone else. Doesn't hurt to ask.