MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

As usual you and I are in the exact same boat. It'll either happen this year, or in like 2-4 years. But I am starting to take in what people are saying about they wouldn't have gotten as much out of the education if they went straight out of their BFA. I feel like I have sooooo much more development that I could do on my own....but I suppose that could happen in an MFA program as well. I'm just really eager to have a nice studio all to myself and just work non-stop for two years with professors and other students to talk to. I'm worried that if I wait, then it will be harder to go. I may be settled into my job, or even married or something. At age 23, my parents will feel bad for me being broke and will give me some grocery money. At age 30? Hmmm definitely not. Plus I am so excited and full of energy at this point! But whatever happens, happens.

While I definitely think that those who have pursued other careers and done things other than school before starting an MFA program perhaps have alot more motivation, after realizing that I wont be attending grad school in fall more than likely it is quite frustrating. I may be fairly young and almost straight out of undergraduate school for my BFA, however, I am certain that I could never do anything but something involved with art. I ONLY want to pursue art and I have alot of direction. I think because of financial situations I will have to teach middle/ high school for awhile before trying to apply again. I am not sure my art or who I am will change enough within a year to completely change schools' opinions as far as admitting me. I think it is rather disappointing that I would be looked at as less capable simply because of my age or lack of experience outside of school.

I am pretty darned positive I'm rejected from SAIC, but I really wish they would just send me the letter already. I know the interviews are in like a week. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted to Rutgers! Do you all think it would be rude if I emailed admissions and asked them why I haven't heard my status yet since others have?

At age 23, my parents will feel bad for me being broke and will give me some grocery money. At age 30? Hmmm definitely not. Plus I am so excited and full of energy at this point! But whatever happens, happens.

Ha it's really not that bad figuring things out when you're "this old" (30!). ;)

I'm worried that if I wait, then it will be harder to go. I may be settled into my job, or even married or something.

Lots and lots of married people go to grad school (in September, I will be one of them), and people quit jobs all the time. Don't be afraid to wait--if you set going to grad school as your goal, you'll do it.

Edited by Allie2011

You guys are right. You don't have to be right out of your BFA to make it work. I still have 6 more schools to hear from, and one acceptance so I've got a good 6 weeks or so to make a decision on whether or not to wait a few years. In about 4 weeks, I'll be asking everyone on this forum's advice, and I'm sure other people will be needing advice as well!

Lots and lots of married people go to grad school (in September, I will be one of them), and people quit jobs all the time. Don't be afraid to wait--if you set going to grad school as your goal, you'll do it.

I totally agree! If you REALLY want it, you'll make it happen. Another two cents on when to return to grad school (I graduated with a BFA in 2007 and will now return for my MFA after living/working in NYC for the past four years)...

'Real world' experience is invaluable. I really don't think that many people are mature enough to directly pursue an MFA, though, as always, there are exceptions. Initially upon graduating, I had wanted to return to school, but in hindsight, I'm so thankful I waited–I just wasn't ready nor was my work. There's something to be said for living independently, surviving on your own, and being forced to balance the responsibilities of life (rent, food, job) with art making. Two years ago, I was finally able to afford a separate studio space from my apartment and the result was vastly improved work. Still I was working and dealing with other life stresses–a challenge that has made me a better, more productive artist. There's no one around to kick my butt into gear except myself, no parents to feed me, no free rides. The fact is, an MFA doesn't guarantee immediate success as an artist. It's an incredibly important experience that may help you get there–eventually. All of our paths as artists will be different, but I truly believe that learning how to be an adult, for lack of a better phrase, can only help. To be frank, I think it's whiny to say you want to be an artist so badly that you simply can't stand to do anything else. Many, many, many successful artists have had to suck it up and pay their dues, so to speak, with crappy jobs, crappy apartments, and little money. Others get married, have kids, or have and quit day jobs. None of that stands in the way or indicates a lesser commitment! Hey–being an artist ain't easy, so you might as well get used to the struggle and learn how to juggle life's crap.

There shouldn't be rush to get another degree–it's about the experience, so consider when that experience will benefit you most. If you've just spent four years in school (or maybe you've been out barely a year), a breather might help you gain a fresh perspective and push your work in new and unexpected ways. If you can't motivate yourself or find the time to keep making work after graduating with a BFA, then it seems doubtful you're ready for an MFA.

Of course, only you know! Just think it out and remember–there's always time to return to school! Lots of luck making your decision and here's to making work no matter what.

While I definitely think that those who have pursued other careers and done things other than school before starting an MFA program perhaps have alot more motivation, after realizing that I wont be attending grad school in fall more than likely it is quite frustrating. I may be fairly young and almost straight out of undergraduate school for my BFA, however, I am certain that I could never do anything but something involved with art. I ONLY want to pursue art and I have alot of direction. I think because of financial situations I will have to teach middle/ high school for awhile before trying to apply again. I am not sure my art or who I am will change enough within a year to completely change schools' opinions as far as admitting me. I think it is rather disappointing that I would be looked at as less capable simply because of my age or lack of experience outside of school.

The age thing isn't black and white, its just not often that schools take people straight out of undergrad because they haven't had the time to develop their work to the level necessary to get in. Most of the people who go straight into an MFA don't get into the schools that could really push them if they would have waited a few more years. I think you will get into some great schools, and I am surprised you haven't had more bites from schools. But if you keep making more kick-ass installations in the next year or two and keep developing your work, they won't be able to say no.

I got offered a post-bac there last year. I didn't turn it down because I didn't think it would help me get where I needed to go. It came down to money. I believe reputation is important so I decided to keep applying to top 30 schools. For me it wasbetter to keep working, work on my own. I would have loved to have spent a year at the SMFA. But I reapplied and I've got an interview so we'll see how that pans out.

Thanks for your response, I also think that the cost will be a huge factor for me. I don't want to wait another year before pursuing my MFA, but I have a lot to think about with reputation and its importance.

Also has everyone heard from U Washington and Cranbrook?

I got waitlisted at NYAA for whoever was asking and someone else got accepted. They sent email and mail notification which I recieved last week.

Im waiting to hear from Columbia and SFAI's low residency program, I see that some people have been called for interviews with SFAI but has anyone heard for their low residency??

I have also applied to SFAI's low residency program and haven't heard a peep. I received an email a couple weeks ago saying they had received my application and they would let me know if anything was missing (which there shouldn't be.) and then crickets........

I've been reading this board for a while without posting.. Thank you so much everyone for all the information!

I just got an email from the Cranbrook painting department about an interview. It is my first! So far I've been rejected by Yale, Bard and Otis, and based on posts here I assume also by Northwestern and Columbia.

Good luck everyone!!!!

I'm still waiting *anxiously* for word back from U Washington. I did get a rejection this morning from the University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign...sort of caught me off guard. But, on the upside, I'm flying to Boston for an interview at the SMFA this weekend. Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for your response, I also think that the cost will be a huge factor for me. I don't want to wait another year before pursuing my MFA, but I have a lot to think about with reputation and its importance.

Also has everyone heard from U Washington and Cranbrook?

I got waitlisted at NYAA for whoever was asking and someone else got accepted. They sent email and mail notification which I recieved last week.

I have also applied to SFAI's low residency program and haven't heard a peep. I received an email a couple weeks ago saying they had received my application and they would let me know if anything was missing (which there shouldn't be.) and then crickets........

I got a call from them yesterday accepting me which surprised me - who calls on a sunday afternoon?! I asked her a few questions but neglected to ask about financial aid/ scholarships which would be helpful. Im pretty excited because its a great program but Im still waiting to hear from Columbia. Some people said that they have heard from Columbia but I called and the guy said that letters would be sent out in mid march...Not sure if thats good or bad news for me.

I got a call from them yesterday accepting me which surprised me - who calls on a sunday afternoon?! I asked her a few questions but neglected to ask about financial aid/ scholarships which would be helpful. Im pretty excited because its a great program but Im still waiting to hear from Columbia. Some people said that they have heard from Columbia but I called and the guy said that letters would be sent out in mid march...Not sure if thats good or bad news for me.

Congratulations! I hope that I get that call soon... although I submitted my application after the deadline, which puts me at a disadvantage. I hemmed and hawed about applying to a low-res program, even though I liked the sound of it, wondering if it would give me all that I wanted out of a MFA program. I'm beginning to realize that this art life is what ever you make of it, so I applied after the deadline. Hopefully, there will be a slot left over for me.

It's official: rejection from Carnegie Mellon. Letter came in the mail today.