Admissions Interviews

lambspam

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why is it that sociology programs seem much less likely to conduct admissions interviews than, say, biochemistry programs?

Unrelated response but you can PM me if you want some first hand info about the faculty at McGill, I am a student in the department.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why is it that sociology programs seem much less likely to conduct admissions interviews than, say, biochemistry programs?

I've always wondered this myself. Although I am thankful for one less additional stress!

I think the main reason is that hard sciences generally have more money. So they can pay to fly people out.

Also, generally those programs have graduate students working directly under faculty in a lab or something. Soc doesn't have this.

But mainly, I think it is money.

That's a good call, I don't know why that didn't occur to met. It almost always comes down to money and sociology never gets very much of it.

Not to rant too much, but I've been arguing for a few years now that our programs will get the amount of funding they deserve once sociologists demonstrate to legislators and the public just how relevant and applicable our field is to the real world. Physical scientists have done an awesome job at this and psychology programs are working their way up the chain of respectability. For some reason, though, sociologists as a whole just suck at playing the PR game. I find that sad considering this is the field that should know the most about how resource distribution actually works.

I think the main reason is that hard sciences generally have more money. So they can pay to fly people out.

Also, generally those programs have graduate students working directly under faculty in a lab or something. Soc doesn't have this.

But mainly, I think it is money.

That makes sense about the money for in person interviews, but what about phone interviews. Maybe as you mentioned it's that in hard sciences grad students work directly with someone so there is an interest in interviewing them as you would in a job interview.

Hey, I was looking around forums in fields different then my own (Biology) and I agree with most people on here. Money is no doubt a big factor, flying people out and hosting them for a weekend, maybe even longer sometimes does cost a pretty penny. Also, someone said Soc does not have POIs working directly with grad students. In the sciences this is basically what it is. You find a lab whose research matches your own and apply to join said lab. Personality fit is a huge factor in my field, a lab (professor, other grad students, post-docs, techs) becomes an extended family of sorts and everyone I talked to (grad students, and professors) have told me I will not get into grad school without at least a phone interview. The best is a face-to-face.

I hope this helps. Good luck everyone!