Turning down offers?

Commoner, why don't you let us know where you're waitlisted (and other who are, too) so that people can respond specifically?

I have turned down an offer from Southern Illinois University. I am currently choosing among three schools, so will be turning down a couple more eventually.

I will be turning down offers from Wisconsin-Madison, Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, Boston College, and the MAPH at U Chicago. I am deciding between two schools right now, and I am on the Victorian Studies waitlist at Indiana.

See below. I've turned down DU and WSU, which doesn't help you at all, commoner. Will probably turn down UCSC, that leaves UT and SUNY. (Hey, it all rhymes :P )

Anyway, it might matter what your concentration is, esp. at UT -- as you must know, it's a vast department, and I think they rank and accept students based on the various disciplines. They took me as a medieval lit student. I'm trying hard to decide in the next week or so.

Good luck.

I declined Illinois-UC awhile ago, but I just formally declined the offers from Boston College, UW-Madison, and the MAPH at UChicago (see above). I will also be giving up a place at UC-Davis in the next 2 days. I hope this helps some of the people on this site!!

Is anyone out there turning down a Temple funding offer. That would be nice for me. And I would probably buy you something, whatever you want really. My soul has already been hollowed out in this process, why not a little bribery. :P You win (the present), I win (funding).

I just turned down UC Davis yesterday, and I turned down UNC-Chapel Hill less than an hour ago (which was REALLY hard and sad), but it made me happy to see that someone posted right afterwards to say that they were accepted. Good luck!!! It is a fabulous place, and the people are awesome. It was a sacrifice to give it up--I just needed to because of my field.

I don't know if I'm a special case or not, but turning down these offers was really heart-breaking. I think I allowed myself to get especially invested in the prospect in attending all of these schools, even as I knew I couldn't attend all of them. I'm really grateful for this site and getting the almost immediate thrill of seeing someone else pop off a waiting list just as soon as an offer is turned down.

Sad good-byes:

Lehigh

Purdue

WUSTL

UW-Madison

I just turned down UC Davis yesterday, and I turned down UNC-Chapel Hill less than an hour ago (which was REALLY hard and sad), but it made me happy to see that someone posted right afterwards to say that they were accepted. Good luck!!! It is a fabulous place, and the people are awesome. It was a sacrifice to give it up--I just needed to because of my field.

I think I might have gotten your spot--at any rate, I emailed last night to inquire about my status, was told early this morning that I was next on the waitlist, and was accepted a couple of hours later. Thanks a million! I'm excited beyond words. :D Best of luck at Indiana!!!

Heh... trying to get an extension so you can see what's happening with your waitlists is not an easy sell, either. I think I might blow a fuse if I don't accept an offer soon. The mid-April application situation feels like a massive game of randomly placed musical chairs being held in the spacious gymnasium of a school for the blind!

• 2 weeks later...

Did it turn out for you, commoner? I've got offers, but I don't think you want any of them (if I remember from your PM a while back, you're in a completely different field). I'll be turning down my last school and accepting the lucky winner within a week from now. =)

Anyway, don't give up hope until you get the rejection letters in your hands. I recall getting an offer off the waitlist at one school (this was in 2006, when applying to MA programs) about mid-July. I had already accepted elsewhere, but it certainly shocked me (and gave me a little ego boost, I suppose). You never know when someone's going to flake out and decline their offer, opening up room for a waitlisted person.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, it did not. And I do have all rejection letters in hand. But thanks much for the encouragement and enlightenment. It's been a year of learning.

So, on to Fall of 2009. Here's to all of us rewriting our essays for next year!! 8)