Do I have a chance/how can I prepare?

hgse_4mepls

I am interested in HGSE's new Online Master's in Leadership program.

However, information available is very sparse.

According to Pearson's, HGSE has a 54% acceptance rate for its master's programs. Is this true? That sounds way too high!

If I have GRE verbal score of 165, quantitative score of 160, and writing score of 10.0, is that high enough for me to be competitive?

I worked for four years as an English teacher through Japan's JET Programme, before relocating to an international school in China. Thus, I will only have six years of experience. Will I be at a severe disadvantage? Should I wait until next year before applying? 

I have a BA from an Ivy League university (3.1 GPA) in History, an MA from a local state university, another MA from another local state university (if you're wondering why I have two MAs, I tried to switch fields) - given all these degrees, would HGSE find it strange that I want another degree?

Affordability isn't an issue for me - I saved up enough for this program, plus since it's online, I can work part time, though any scholarship would still be highly appreciated.

My goal is to take on an intermediate leadership role in either my current international school or another. I still want to be in the classroom, but perhaps only one or two sections a term - and the rest on administration. 

How can I improve my profile? Am I crazy for even thinking about getting a third master's?

I wouldn't think wanting a third master's would be a problem, especially as it is in leadership. Your SOP should explain how this degree fits your goals and how you tried to switch fields. The personal narrative you spin is usually like 50% of your SOP. What were the GPAs for your two master's programs? The BA is so far in the past that I would think it most likely will not matter as much as your graduate coursework. 

On 9/10/2023 at 1:14 AM, PopCultureScholar said:

I wouldn't think wanting a third master's would be a problem, especially as it is in leadership. Your SOP should explain how this degree fits your goals and how you tried to switch fields. The personal narrative you spin is usually like 50% of your SOP. What were the GPAs for your two master's programs? The BA is so far in the past that I would think it most likely will not matter as much as your graduate coursework. 

Awesome, thank you.
tbh, I feel like if I were in the admissions committee, I would also be curious why this person wants a third master's, but I guess that's what the SOP is for.

GPA for the two master's was meh. Approx. 3.3 - 3.4 each. 

11 hours ago, hgse_4mepls said:

Awesome, thank you.
tbh, I feel like if I were in the admissions committee, I would also be curious why this person wants a third master's, but I guess that's what the SOP is for.

GPA for the two master's was meh. Approx. 3.3 - 3.4 each. 

Absolutely, the SOP can make a significant difference. It's worth mentioning that while some might view your GPAs as a bit low, I managed to secure admission into two separate TC master's programs (different departments) with a 3.5 in my first master's degree, a 3.0 in my bachelor's degree, and a 3.6 in my associate's program. So, I encourage you to give it a shot! After all, what's the worst that could happen? If you don't get in... then you try again next year. Keep that optimism alive!

Edited by PopCultureScholar

• 5 months later...

Following the discussions, I am also with PopX's opinion. If you explain well what it does mean doing a third MA and a low GPA can make a good turn. In many cases, people consider and enroll the program for promoting administrative positions in the school.