African American Studies 2011

Hey Everyone,

Are there any other African American Studies applicants lurking around the boards this year? I applied to a few Af-Am programs and a few interdisciplinary programs. I'm really anxious to hear back from Northwestern, it's my top choice. Would anyone happen to know if interviews are standard for Northwestern? I noticed on the results page that last year someone was called for an interview around this time in January. It seems as if other humanities/interdis programs at Northwestern host interview weekends of some sort.

What schools have you all applied to? What are your top choice schools? I wish everyone the best.

Hey Everyone,

Are there any other African American Studies applicants lurking around the boards this year? I applied to a few Af-Am programs and a few interdisciplinary programs. I'm really anxious to hear back from Northwestern, it's my top choice. Would anyone happen to know if interviews are standard for Northwestern? I noticed on the results page that last year someone was called for an interview around this time in January. It seems as if other humanities/interdis programs at Northwestern host interview weekends of some sort.

What schools have you all applied to? What are your top choice schools? I wish everyone the best.

Hi, good luck to you as well. I am more a political theory type of person but it appears that we applied to several of the same programs. I submitted to Brown/Africana, Berkeley/Af-Am, Cornell/Govt, Harvard/Af-Am, Northwestern/Af-Am and Yale/Af-Am and Poli Sci. I'm not sure about interviews at NU, I visited a bunch of professors at the places I applied back in October so not sure if that will have a positive effect.

Again, good luck!

Hi, good luck to you as well. I am more a political theory type of person but it appears that we applied to several of the same programs. I submitted to Brown/Africana, Berkeley/Af-Am, Cornell/Govt, Harvard/Af-Am, Northwestern/Af-Am and Yale/Af-Am and Poli Sci. I'm not sure about interviews at NU, I visited a bunch of professors at the places I applied back in October so not sure if that will have a positive effect.

Again, good luck!

Meeting professors during the application stage tends to work in your favor because if they're on the ad comm they can place a face with the name. Or if they are not on the ad comm and they are interested in your work they can tell others to watch out for your app. So there are some definite advantages.

If you don't mind me asking, how was your experience meeting professors in the Af-Am department at Northwestern? Their website doesn't post anything about the current grad student research interests, during your visit were you able to get any further info into what the grad students are doing there?

Meeting professors during the application stage tends to work in your favor because if they're on the ad comm they can place a face with the name. Or if they are not on the ad comm and they are interested in your work they can tell others to watch out for your app. So there are some definite advantages.

If you don't mind me asking, how was your experience meeting professors in the Af-Am department at Northwestern? Their website doesn't post anything about the current grad student research interests, during your visit were you able to get any further info into what the grad students are doing there?

I will send you a PM

I, too, applied to Northwestern for their African American Studies program. I am grateful to have had the privilege to have set in on some of the courses there and the opportunity to build relationships with some of the faculty. Given that I am a resident of Chicago, I was able to spend some time there over breaks. In addition to Northwestern, I applied to Yale (American Studies & AfAm), UC Berkeley (AfAm), USC (American Studies & Ethnicity), Univ of Maryland-CP (American Studies), UNC-CH (Comm Studies)--I was a visiting scholar there this past summer for 3 months, made incredible networks, Emory (American Studies--Institute of Liberal Arts), and Southern Illinois Univ-Carbondale (Comm Studies). I hope to hear back from schools soon.

Good luck

I, too, applied to Northwestern for their African American Studies program. I am grateful to have had the privilege to have set in on some of the courses there and the opportunity to build relationships with some of the faculty. Given that I am a resident of Chicago, I was able to spend some time there over breaks. In addition to Northwestern, I applied to Yale (American Studies & AfAm), UC Berkeley (AfAm), USC (American Studies & Ethnicity), Univ of Maryland-CP (American Studies), UNC-CH (Comm Studies)--I was a visiting scholar there this past summer for 3 months, made incredible networks, Emory (American Studies--Institute of Liberal Arts), and Southern Illinois Univ-Carbondale (Comm Studies). I hope to hear back from schools soon.

Good luck

Good luck to you as well. I'm here in Chicago also and applied to several of the same schools but I combined Af-Am with polisci where it was appropriate. Am I the only person who applied to Brown's new Africana studies program? Have you heard anything about it?

For political and personal reasons I chose not to apply to Brown. I am not sure of others who have applied there. Although, there are a couple of great professors there. However, in terms of how they treat graduate students, especially students of color, the feedback isn't always the best. Again, this is not first hand experience, so take it with a grain of salt. Also, if you really interested in mostly focusing on African Studies than I think Brown might be best for you.

Political science is cool, my mentor/friend Dr. Melissa Harris-Perry is a African American political scientist, she is amazing! So are you currently a student in Chicago now?

What are your research interests?

@Sichselbstoffenbaren I chose not to apply to Brown because I was weary of apply to a new program. Personally, I am hesitant to be one of the trailblazers in the first cohort because I have heard that role comes with some pros and many cons, as department tend to use the first cohort as test subjects to test the waters on many things. It can possibly make being a grad student slight more stressful to be in the predicament where there isn't any precedent when it comes to exams and other requirements. But of course this is just my opinion.

@Saluki88 Impressive list of schools. It seems like you may be set for admissions to Northwestern and UNC based off of the contacts you have been able to secure. That's always great. If you don't mind me asking, how were your experiences with coursework at Northwestern? Did the grad students seem to be happy with the program?

@abolitionista Thanks! But, I enjoyed the experience of being able to sit in on some of the classes in the AfAm/Comm Studies department there, the professor was dynamic and the students were very engaged. Several of my very close friends have received their PhD from Northwestern (either Comm studies and/or AfAm), and having interacted with them on many occasions, I have heard nothing but amazing things. Also, some of the graduate students who are still in the program have nothing but positive things to say about the program. It is important to note that each department has politics of which we all must or will have to negotiate. With that said, the overall consensus is that the graduate students enjoy the department.

The faculty I am interested in working with is cross-listed in the AfAm and Comm Studies program; I was able to be a strong relationship with him intellectually and personally--as I have invited him to my campus to speak/performance and have met him on several occasions at national conferences, NCA.

What are your research interests, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM if you'd prefer.

@abolitionista Thanks! But, I enjoyed the experience of being able to sit in on some of the classes in the AfAm/Comm Studies department there, the professor was dynamic and the students were very engaged. Several of my very close friends have received their PhD from Northwestern (either Comm studies and/or AfAm), and having interacted with them on many occasions, I have heard nothing but amazing things. Also, some of the graduate students who are still in the program have nothing but positive things to say about the program. It is important to note that each department has politics of which we all must or will have to negotiate. With that said, the overall consensus is that the graduate students enjoy the department.

The faculty I am interested in working with is cross-listed in the AfAm and Comm Studies program; I was able to be a strong relationship with him intellectually and personally--as I have invited him to my campus to speak/performance and have met him on several occasions at national conferences, NCA.

What are your research interests, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM if you'd prefer.

Sent you a PM :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, congratulations!!! So excited for you. How did you find out? I haven't heard anything yet.

I didn't hear anything either and nothing has changed with respect to my status on the admissions page so...maybe we will hear something tomorrow. I think, judging from the results board, that she was given a phone call. If you get any details, PM them to me. Good luck to all...

I didn't hear anything either and nothing has changed with respect to my status on the admissions page so...maybe we will hear something tomorrow. I think, judging from the results board, that she was given a phone call. If you get any details, PM them to me. Good luck to all...

Of course, and you the same. I am not giving up hope until I hear back. Also, didn't know you were not admitted into UT-Austin, sorry to hear that.

Best of luck to everyone, we're all in this together, there aren't that many of us, lol!

Peace!

Of course, and you the same. I am not giving up hope until I hear back. Also, didn't know you were not admitted into UT-Austin, sorry to hear that.

Best of luck to everyone, we're all in this together, there aren't that many of us, lol!

Peace!

Thanks! I'm haven't decided whether I'm surprised about UT or not but you know how it goes. I see you suffered a set back at Maryland as well...sorry about that. What program did you apply to at College Park? Good luck, as soon as I hear something I will let you know.

Ciao...

Thanks! I'm haven't decided whether I'm surprised about UT or not but you know how it goes. I see you suffered a set back at Maryland as well...sorry about that. What program did you apply to at College Park? Good luck, as soon as I hear something I will let you know.

Ciao...

Haha, those were my thoughts with Maryland, too. I couldn't decide how I really felt. Nevertheless, I applied to American Studies. My POI called and expressed his thoughts and informed me of why such decision was made, and for that I am only grateful and appreciative.

Yes, good luck to you, its crazy...so many people are applying to grad schools this year, yikes!

Peace

Peace... I too am applying to Africana Studies, African Studies and African American Studies programs this year. I've applied to Harvard, Cornell, Howard and Ohio State University... so I guess now is just the waiting game...