MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

hey guys!! I've been peeping the chats but finally wanted to jump in!

I've applied to six schools, heard back from 4, silence from the other 2

VCU Sculpture: Nothing yet 

Cranbrook Fiber: nothing yet, but I've heard they are slow on getting back

CCA: Interview this tuesday 

Calarts: interview on feb 29th 

Mount Royal: just had my interview today!! It was lovely, fingers crossed!!

MECA&D: I had an interview with them last week! think I was a little awkward, but it was my first one. I def learned a lot. Sending so so much good luck to everyone in these times!! 🥰🥰🥰

hi all ❤️ applying to sculpture for all programs below

got an interview request from ucla at 7:30pm est (they wanted to interview the next day lmao..) woulda started prepping earlier if i knew it would be a quick turnaround

nothing from vcu or columbia yet

interview for yale feb 23 (notified feb 6) (disclaimer i did the norfolk undergrad program so they know me already)

interview for carnegie mellon feb 24 (notified jan 31)

did not make royal academy final round but I looked back at my app (which i kind of rushed) and was like th? was i drunk i didnt even submit some of the best newest stuff so.. not surprised lol

applied to a couple other things that are similar year or multi year fellowships in europe like schloss solitude and deateliers. i think those will take until april though. not holding out tho i never get any of those european things lol

my biggest regret so far is not applying to more fully funded + generous stipend programs, like northwestern. i could still apply to u of miami i think. whatever well see what happens. this is my first round applying

for future reference for folks..

5 ucla sculpture interview time slots

22 CMU interview time slots

20 yale sculpture interview time slots

1 hour ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

got an interview request from ucla at 7:30pm est (they wanted to interview the next day lmao..) woulda started prepping earlier if i knew it would be a quick turnaround

interview for yale feb 23 (notified feb 6) (disclaimer i did the norfolk undergrad program so they know me already)

did not make royal academy final round but I looked back at my app (which i kind of rushed) and was like th? was i drunk i didnt even submit some of the best newest stuff so.. not surprised lol

applied to a couple other things that are similar year or multi year fellowships in europe like schloss solitude and deateliers. i think those will take until april though. not holding out tho i never get any of those european things lol

my biggest regret so far is not applying to more fully funded + generous stipend programs, like northwestern. i could still apply to u of miami i think. whatever well see what happens. this is my first round applying

congrats on all the interviews! do you know if ucla reached out to other areas besides sculpture or did they only let you know about the 5 sculpture spots? 

4 minutes ago, Gaara said:

congrats on all the interviews! do you know if ucla reached out to other areas besides sculpture or did they only let you know about the 5 sculpture spots? 

im assuming its only for sculpture as im interviewing with just rodney and hirsch and also i think they typically accept only 2 or 3 

9 hours ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

Congrats on the interviews, how you know for Yale it’s 20 interviews?  And which school is your first choice 

44 minutes ago, Benz555 said:

Congrats on the interviews, how you know for Yale it’s 20 interviews?  And which school is your first choice 

when i went to go schedule my interview there were like 20 times to choose from if i remember right. i think i looked at it pretty fast after i got the email. but yeah im assuming that once a spot is picked its bc someone else chose it.

I've always wanted to go to yale but im waiting to hear how the financial aid comes in. its need based so am probably ok on the tuition front, but will need to figure out how to just live lol. ucla looked like they can offer a 20k stipend on top of tuition waiver (at least for first year). i was really hoping to get the PD soros fellowship (applies to any school) but didnt get an interview sadly. So yale and ucla I think. i think columbias going to be too expensive and idk much about vcu but i think i want to be in or be close to a big city.

2 minutes ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

when i went to go schedule my interview there were like 20 times to choose from if i remember right. i think i looked at it pretty fast after i got the email. but yeah im assuming that once a spot is picked its bc someone else chose it.

I've always wanted to go to yale but im waiting to hear how the financial aid comes in. its need based so am probably ok on the tuition front, but will need to figure out how to just live lol. ucla looked like they can offer a 20k stipend on top of tuition waiver (at least for first year). i was really hoping to get the PD soros fellowship (applies to any school) but didnt get an interview sadly. So yale and ucla I think. i think columbias going to be too expensive and idk much about vcu but i think i want to be in or be close to a big city.

I always have an interview Friday too, and is this your first time applying to yale? I also have an interview with Columbia this week & waiting on VCU. Nevertheless I can relate to your concern on tuition it’ll be the living for me as well

6 minutes ago, Benz555 said:

I always have an interview Friday too, and is this your first time applying to yale? I also have an interview with Columbia this week & waiting on VCU. Nevertheless I can relate to your concern on tuition it’ll be the living for me as well

it is my first time applying yeah. you said columbia photo interview right? nothing yet from columbia sculpture? or i forget if they are just interdisciplinary all the way..

likewise, as well for Yale sculpture, and yes, Columbia photo, if they do not give me a great package, I cannot be there (Columbia). But I feel like if one department is asking me for an interview, I do not think sculpture will. Since I am already going to the school for an interview this week; I figure they would have been sending out that notice. Given their program is very interdisciplinary, it does not matter what major you get in with; you can do whatever. 

21 minutes ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

it is my first time applying yeah. you said columbia photo interview right? nothing yet from columbia sculpture? or i forget if they are just interdisciplinary all the way..

ikewise, as well for Yale sculpture, and yes, Columbia photo, if they do not give me a great package, I cannot be there (Columbia). But I feel like if one department is asking me for an interview, I do not think sculpture will. Since I am already going to the school for an interview this week; I figure they would have been sending out that notice. Given their program is very interdisciplinary, it does not matter what major you get in with; you can do whatever.

On 2/6/2024 at 7:54 PM, meepie said:

I got an interview at Boston University for their painting program. Does anyone have any tips/know how competitive it is?

Thank you!!

I had an interview last year. 1/3 schools I interviewed for. First two school went very well, were very casual, the one director was making tea while we spoke. I was accepted to both of those. 

Boston U was in more formal. There were two students and two professors. They shared their screen and flipped through my artwork as I spoke. The first question was "how does form and content relate in your work?" I had questions prepared for the professors but I was directed to ask the students questions so I was a little thrown off by that. 

You'll do great! Try to relax and don't be nervous if they are running a little late and feel rushed. You are allowed to control the pace. 

On 2/7/2024 at 6:12 PM, Sweetie123 said:

which department did you apply to? The Maryland app was just studio arts so it didn’t specify a department for me. Lmk if you hear anything! Good luck! 

56 minutes ago, hihihi123 said:

what program?

me too! goodluck to us

have yall had any luck asking the interviewers via email before what questions they might ask? 

cant tell if it would be annoying to ask them that and they may just not say anything... for the most part it seems like they dont respond to inquiries about the interview before

25 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

I just got an interview request for the University of Maryland! 

Congrats!! I just got the email to0 🙂