MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

It's that time of the year once more. The summer is winding down and applications for Art MFA programs are set to go live soon. Inviting all the prospective MFA Art applicants to share knowledge, info, or rant about the complex process of applying to graduate program in the Arts. 🎨🎭 We got this!

This is my third year applying for an MFA. The UCLA application process is real tough. The neat thing about the app is that you don't have to worry about letters of recommendation but the offside is that you are gonna have to write quite a lot for the application. UCLA is also mysterious when it comes to reviewing applications you can pretty much expect no communication from the faculty for months afterwards. You'll just simply get notified via email to login to the application portal to find out if you got in or not. Best of Luck! I would email some of the grad students at UMass about the program. There was a guy a few cycles back who said on the forum that the program wasn't to his liking and many of his cohorts ended up dropping out. So I would definitely reach out to some of the people in the program about how they feel the program is supporting them as artists, how the program is setup, or what they are learning about. That's all I got! I wish you great success in this cycle!

Edited by CactusWren22

I still remember applying for undergrad at UCLA and talking to a few people who actually got in, very competitive indeed. I've actually visited UMass a few times and yeah I was not blown away by the work I saw from their graduate students. It's definitely the last choice on my list, I included it just due to familiarity and it being fully funded but perhaps I should remove it or replace it entirely. The fully funded programs just seem so hard to get into, I figure that I might have a better chance with one where I already know the program. 

On 9/11/2023 at 2:35 PM, AntonArt said:

These are my schools of interest for Studio Arts: SVA, Columbia, NYU, UCLA, Bard, and for fully funded Rutgers and UMass. 

Isn't UCLA also fully funded? 

On 9/11/2023 at 3:34 PM, CactusWren22 said:

This is my third year applying for an MFA

Also my third year applying, didn't think I would be back on grad cafe getting ready to apply again but here we are 🫠

Almost every time I look at fully funded programs and view their students' current work or the work of alumni (for my focus on Painting & Drawing)...99.9% of the time the artwork is abstract or collages. Does anyone know fully funded programs that do figurative work? I'm trying to make the list of schools I apply to based on them being fully funded and having students that do figurative work. I feel like there's a big bias for abstract work that no one really talks about. Don't want to make the mistake of applying to a school that doesn't prefer, value, or appreciate figurative work. Any insights are greatly appreciated, thanks!

On 9/14/2023 at 7:48 PM, CactusWren22 said:

I actually went to an information session last year for UCLA. And it's about 75% fully funded. It all depends if you can negotiate or get a TA ship to get a full tuition waiver.

Thanks for letting me know. What programs are you applying to your third time around? 

I have a list and I feel like a fool for still putting UCLA...feels like a waste $135 with how slim anyone's chances are. 

31 minutes ago, CactusWren22 said:

I'm still trying to finalize the list lol. But it's definitely looking like University of Arizona, UNLV, UC Riverside, Temple University, and either UCLA/UCSB.

I was also thinking about UCSB, but the only real option for housing is the San Clemente Villages. A 2br for $928 a month is great, but I really want to live on my own for graduate school in a studio apartment. I can't deal with dirty roommates😭. Other than that the program looks great.  

1 hour ago, CactusWren22 said:

I feel you on wanting to live alone.  But tuition at UCSB is 100% covered. So it's tempting to say the least.

Definitely, I think I will still apply and just cross my fingers and hope I get a decent human being of a roommate lol . Plus their stipend is 22k - 24k, not to mention it's in Cali, no need to worry about snow. This is my current list, I ended up finding some programs that have had a few figurative artist. Applying to 12 schools seems crazy though, I may have to chop some off. If you think any of these are not a good fit for a figurative artist please let know. 

UCLA
Stanford
UC Berkeley
Northwestern University
UCSB
UC Irvine
University of Texas—Austin
University of Wisconsin—Madison
University of Illinois—Chicago
Uconn
Florida State University
University of South Florida
Edited by Gaara

Looking forward to panicking with you all again this year. 

I got short listed for all my favorites but that was it, so re-applying to Yale and SAIC. 

Any advice on Northwestern, VCU, Austin, and Tulane? Would love to hear thoughts. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Gkrenz said:

Any advice on Northwestern, VCU, Austin, and Tulane? Would love to hear thoughts. Thanks!

I was waitlisted by Northwestern last year and this isn't really specific advice for that program, but just in general, I would advise that once you get the interview...if there is an option between going in person or Zoom, do whatever it takes to go in person. I think programs should make all finalists have the same interview process because feeling someone's energy in person doesn't compare to seeing them through a screen. NW gave me the option, and I chose Zoom, big mistake. If programs give the option, in my opinion it is an unfair advantage to people that went in person so don't be like me...instead be on the good side of the unfair advantage. 

This forum seems dead compared to other years. Is no one applying to MFA programs this year lol...Anyway here's my updated list, if anyone has any insights about these programs please hit me up. 

UCLA
Stanford
UCSD
UC Berkeley
CCA
CSULB
Northwestern University
UCSB
UC Irvine
University of Texas—Austin
SF State

It is pretty quiet this year… I’ve been lurking in the shadows since I’m preparing for applications and an upcoming residency. Pretty sure I’ve narrowed down my MFA and MA/MS list though(may add back Hunter and Yale just for kicks and giggles). 

Boston University 
RISD
SMFA
Rutgers
University of Connecticut 
MassArt
Parsons
Emerson 
Northeastern University 
USF

Anyone planning to attend the online/in-person national portfolio day? Im a bit nervous since it’ll be my first time and I can only attend the online option September 30th. 

Edited by Sendmeapeach

On 9/24/2023 at 8:15 PM, Sendmeapeach said:

Anyone planning to attend the online/in-person national portfolio day? Im a bit nervous since it’ll be my first time and I can only attend the online option September 30th. 

I'm also attending the online option on September 30th. This is my first time too and I'd appreciate if anyone who has attended online national portfolio day in the past could share a bit about their experience and how the process of scheduling meetings with schools went. What's the best strategy to meet multiple schools? I pre-registered for a live session with my top school but I would also like the chance to schedule meetings with other schools on the day of the event. 

2 minutes ago, kiiiiii said:

I'm also attending the online option on September 30th. This is my first time too and I'd appreciate if anyone who has attended online national portfolio day in the past could share a bit about their experience and how the process of scheduling meetings with schools went. What's the best strategy to meet multiple schools? I pre-registered for a live session with my top school but I would also like the chance to schedule meetings with other schools on the day of the event. 

I ended up registering for RISD, SMFA Tufts, and Rutgers. Would  also appreciate any advice as I have no idea if it’s truly a good idea to register for multiple schools 😬

Edited by Sendmeapeach

Hi! Currently a senior finishing up my BFA in graphic design and going to be applying for graphic design MFA programs this winter. I'm super nervous!

I'd love to get into Yale or VCU. Just signed up for the in-person VCU visit, for all the online RISD sessions, and looks like Yale is online only? Also looking at RISD, CCA, Northwestern, and Rutgers. Is the Rutgers design program good? And does anyone know how hard it is to get into VCU or RISD?

Edited by coolgirl

12 hours ago, coolgirl said:

Hi! Currently a senior finishing up my BFA in graphic design and going to be applying for graphic design MFA programs this winter. I'm super nervous!

I'd love to get into Yale or VCU. Just signed up for the in-person VCU visit, for all the online RISD sessions, and looks like Yale is online only? Also looking at RISD, CCA, Northwestern, and Rutgers. Is the Rutgers design program good? And does anyone know how hard it is to get into VCU or RISD?

Yale is online only for everything, including interviews. I interviewed last year, they told us that they only do online interviews to avoid classism. SAIC gave the option to do online, but if I get an interview this year I will drive my ass to Chicago for sure. 

RISD and VCU are both very competitive, VCU especially. 

Edited by Gkrenz

6 minutes ago, Gkrenz said:

Yale is online only for everything, including interviews. I interviewed last year, they told us that they only do online interviews to avoid classism. SAIC gave the option to do online, but if I get an interview this year I will drive my ass to Chicago for sure. 

RISD and VCU are both very competitive, VCU especially. 

That's great about going online. And good to know about VCU! What program did you interview for with Yale?

2 minutes ago, coolgirl said:

That's great about going online. And good to know about VCU! What program did you interview for with Yale?

I interviewed for sculpture, it was a pretty informal interview. Can't recall the questions, but they asked a lot about my practice obviously, and individual pieces and the thought behind them. 

They also asked if I was a "fast or slow worker" which TOTALLY threw me off. I think me being flustered by that question didn't help me much. I made it to the final group of 20 but didn't get in. 

SAIC was very similar, but the interview felt more formal. 

Does anyone have any good info on Tulane or Alfred? I'm finding it difficult to find any info from past students. Both are fully funded so I'm highly motivated to hear what people think.

waiting for an online review with RISD right now. I wish there was at least a rough indicator of wait time, such as how many people are ahead of you. I got to meet with the Rutgers representative already so at least today won't be a total wash.

for anyone else participating in the online National Portfolio Day, how is it going for you?

I was able to get a portfolio review with SMFA @ Tufts and I’m currently next in line for Rutgers. It was a bit hectic and anxiety inducing since they are on a tight schedule, but I will definitely be attending the next one in November to get a portfolio review with Parsons and RISD. It’s quite beneficial and I appreciate their feedback :)