MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

Did anyone get the insane email from SAIC photo about interviews being a crit with the other interviewees? 

don’t know how that will work….

good luck to everyone and their Yale interviews! All I can say from my experience of interviewing is the worse I think I did usually the better the outcome is lol. 

Edited by leavesontree

3 minutes ago, leavesontree said:

Did anyone get the insane email from SAIC photo about interviews being a crit with the other interviewees? 

good luck to everyone and their Yale interviews! All I can say from my experience of interviewing is the worse I think I did usually the better the outcome is lol. 

I got that idk how that will work BC I GOT INTO 3 DEPARTMENT FOR INTERVIEWS SMH LMAO

7 minutes ago, leavesontree said:

That seems like a super biased approach? Like, wont the other attendees be a little incentivized to say negative things about each others work? 

4 minutes ago, bunnie99 said:

That seems like a super biased approach? Like, wont the other attendees be a little incentivized to say negative things about each others work? 

My thoughts exactly. Seems really unprofessional. 

I think it will be a bloodbath, I’m considering not attending. 

1 hour ago, Valentine88 said:

For Yale. we went through Multiple questions, I think I answered like 15 ish question back to back. Was a nice flow , threw them some curve ball questions, got to ask about 4-5 questions myself. 

Wishing everyone luck. 

oh interesting, I didn't get to ask any questions myself there was no time. when was yours? 

16 hours ago, pepperthecat said:

Hey! I'm also waiting for Pratt Communications Design as well - so no, haven't heard anything yet

Thank you, that's helpful! Hoping we hear soon and it's good news for both of us:)

5 hours ago, Chelsea H said:

I’m not sure if this is helpful, but I visited the studio spaces at SAIC during a national portfolio review day in November (didn’t even know they had grad school sessions of that until this year!). They have several buildings housing studio spaces scattered in a 5ish block radius of the school, though if I remember correctly I think the sculpture dept is mostly in the basement of the main building. I only really looked at the painting students’ studios in a building across the street from the Art Institute’s front entrance, and unfortunately they were not particularly appealing (at least not to me anyway). They were like that cubical-style you see a lot in undergrad facilities, maybe 12’ x 15’ on average, no natural light. After talking to a number of the students in their studios, I really got the impression that they were funneling students right into the program straight out of undergrad, and their work and conversation was uhhh… reflective of that. The studio visit was enough to convince me to not even apply to be completely transparent. But! That was just me—what I’m looking for in a MFA experience might be completely different than yours or anyone else’s! And like I said, I was only looking at painting. Can’t speak to their process of allocating spaces or anything like that of course.

I feel you I dont know much about the school but even if i got in with funding I dont think I would go tbh the schools that are just art schools give me a weird vibe

Has anyone heard from UC Irvine for painting? I know someone has heard for new media, wondering if other areas have heard. Feels like it's too late to receive an interview invite from a place like UCI. 

And has anyone heard back from UConn, GSU, or Long Beach (CSULB)? 

I just got off mine with Yale sculpture... here is how it went. I got asked those same questions, and I think I did well and got to ask all of my questions. they were rambling for a while after I asked my questions, which to me was good that they were engaged enough to elaborate on both Aki and Martin.

I got to have a dialogue with them, and it felt like they were all cool. We were all laughing after I asked my last question, which is a good sign to me, at least. let's see what March brings. 

hey everyone, congrats on interviews and acceptances!

my experience with yale interview (sculpture) was pretty similar to what @cinnamoroll8 describes. i was basically asked all those questions minus the "why yale", though i kinda answered that in the way (not in the way id done it if was asked that directly, that's kinda been stressing me out since) but i feel it went well overall, though i too feel the more i think about it the more insecure i get. i didn't know we'd be hearing from them in early march, that's sooooooooon. good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, Gaara said:

Has anyone heard from UC Irvine for painting? I know someone has heard for new media, wondering if other areas have heard. Feels like it's too late to receive an interview invite from a place like UCI. 

And has anyone heard back from UConn, GSU, or Long Beach (CSULB)? 

A friend of mine has an interview with UConn today for photography. 

16 hours ago, g kons said:

How were you able to stay at all without that money, i thought it was for a visa? curious because I want to go but can’t figure out funding either 

I was able to stay for the first semester because as a US citizen you don't need a Visa to enter to country-- you just need the 'proof of livelihood' aka 11000 euro or 12,000usd to get a residency permit within Germany, which you need to stay and study. Once the money ran out I had to leave, so I didn't finish even a year. Good luck!

2 hours ago, hihihi123 said:

I feel you I dont know much about the school but even if i got in with funding I dont think I would go tbh the schools that are just art schools give me a weird vibe

I got my BFA at an all-art school and it was actually perfect for me, but that is definitely NOT a universal experience haha. To yr point, if a school is exclusively for arts, then their investment in the quality of their facilities should be a priority, right? More than the studio set-up though, it was the attitude and, like, juvenile ideas of the students I talked to that really concerned me. The whole tradeoff of not getting a more wholistic education at say a liberal arts school is that the narrower scope of study should then be much deeper—if you only offer arts programs, they better be damn good programs! 
I’m not trying to talk smack on SAIC though, the impression I formed is only indicative of my singular limited experience, and is informed by my own personal interests and goals and preferred environment for working etc. For all I know, I could be missing out on a stellar program there! I don’t want to suggest anything about the caliber of the school I’m just relaying my perception. But I will say I think visiting schools you are seriously interested in is very important for sure 

24 minutes ago, Atamo88 said:

UC Davis sent out MFA acceptance letters in early Feb for those wondering about Davis.  I also applied to UC Riverside and haven't heard anything.  Anybody else apply to UCR?

I believe @CactusWren22 and @leavesontree both interviewed with UCR on Feb 2nd. And the program is non-media specific so I am assuming they reached out to all finalists at the same time. I also applied to UCR, heard they have big studios and it seems like a really good 3 year fully funded program, but it's looking like a rejection tbh. Sucks that they know people are rejected and are just choosing to not notify them right away 

coincidentally on the topic of my last reply: Cranbrook just sent an invite for Visit Day, is anyone here planning to attend? I went to the Open House (and fell in love ofc) so there’s really no reason for me to go but I’m still tempted because we didn’t get to meet current students while I was there and it’s only a 5 hour drive away for me lol 

10 minutes ago, Gaara said:

I believe @CactusWren22 and @leavesontree both interviewed with UCR on Feb 2nd. And the program is non-media specific so I am assuming they reached out to all finalists at the same time. I also applied to UCR, heard they have big studios and it seems like a really good 3 year fully funded program, but it's looking like a rejection tbh. Sucks that they know people are rejected and are just choosing to not notify them right away 

Thanks for finding that for me. I didn't scroll back that far. Re: being rejected... keep hope, you may be on a waitlist. Not every finalist will accept their offer. 

To those who interviewed at yale: was anyone invited to the student interview? A friend of mine who went there said candidates usually also get interviewed by current students. I haven't got anything in my inbox so just wondering if it will take place soon or what 

2 minutes ago, Atamo88 said:

Thanks for finding that for me. I didn't scroll back that far. Re: being rejected... keep hope, you may be on a waitlist. Not every finalist will accept their offer. 

Yea that's true, I always assumed waitlisted people would be the finalist that weren't accepted after the interview. Like if 5 people are accepted into UCR but they interviewed 20, of the 15 not accepted a few would be waitlisted. But you are right, we could be surprised to find out we are on the waitlist 🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, wickedwired said:

To those who interviewed at yale: was anyone invited to the student interview? A friend of mine who went there said candidates usually also get interviewed by current students. I haven't got anything in my inbox so just wondering if it will take place soon or what 

I didnt receive an invite to a student interview either and they made no mention of it. Which department did you interview with? 

3 hours ago, Chelsea H said:

coincidentally on the topic of my last reply: Cranbrook just sent an invite for Visit Day, is anyone here planning to attend? I went to the Open House (and fell in love ofc) so there’s really no reason for me to go but I’m still tempted because we didn’t get to meet current students while I was there and it’s only a 5 hour drive away for me lol 

Also got that email, I live very far so it would be a lot of money for me to come down :(  Not sure if I can make it happen