Accepted...or am I?

green8715

A week after a phone interview with my POI he called to say they were accepting me into their program. HOWEVER...I was told the decision still had to be approved by the department, and received an email from the Graduate School of Admissions that they were reviewing my application..what does this mean? How probable is it that the grad school of admissions will decline the programs offer to accept me? I really hope it's not that probable because I've told everyone I've been accepted and am heading out to their Recruitment weekend in 2 weeks!

Congratulations! it sounds like you're in! If a prof wants you, it's very likely the department will recommend you for admission and it's extremely unlikely that the grad school would deny you after your department has recommended admission. The grad school only usually double checks that you have met the minimum requirements for the school and presumably the department wouldn't have recommended you unless you did.

It sounds like you're in. I'm in a similar situation for one for one of my programs- potential advisor and department said yes, now just waiting for the official decision from the graduate school with my funding package. If the prof said you're in, you're in. Congrats!