2024 East Asian Studies (EAS/EALL/EALCS/EALC)

onf

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2023 at 7:19 PM, Ralstini said:

I didn't apply to Stanford, but I have gotten an interview from Princeton EAS for PhD if anyone was curious.

Thanks for sharing, I wish you a good luck on your Princeton interview!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 8:52 PM, Awn said:

Same here! Are you an international student?

Sorry for my late reply. Yes, I am an international applicant. Wish everyone best of luck! 

18 hours ago, WanderThrougTheWorld said:

Here again! Second attempt for PhD application this year. Had two interviews with Princeton last year but it seems that this year they aren't even willing to give me a second chance. TT

Hey! Just curious, what subfield did you apply for? I believe first-round interviews are still being sent out depending on who you have conducting them

12 hours ago, onf said:

Sorry for my late reply. Yes, I am an international applicant. Wish everyone best of luck! 

Hi, I also applied to multiple Korean language and culture programs this year as an international student from Korea :)

Nice to see someone also doing Korean studies; I haven't seen many on this site. 

It's my first year applying straight from undergrad but I'm hoping to get at least some experience with interviews!

49 minutes ago, CsyJ said:

Hi, I also applied to multiple Korean language and culture programs this year as an international student from Korea :)

Nice to see someone also doing Korean studies; I haven't seen many on this site. 

It's my first year applying straight from undergrad but I'm hoping to get at least some experience with interviews!

I'm also glad to see many applicants to the Korean literature and culture subfield.

I haven't gotten any interview requests yet, but good luck to everyone!

Edited by Awn

2 hours ago, Awn said:

I'm also glad to see many applicants to the Korean literature and culture subfield.

I haven't gotten any interview requests yet, but good luck to everyone!

Hi Awn, are you an international student as well? Which programs have you applied to if you don't mind me asking.

3 hours ago, CsyJ said:

It looks like there's insurgence in Korean programs of recent. Are you applying for MA or PhD from undergrad?

1 hour ago, raynyday said:

Hi Awn, are you an international student as well? Which programs have you applied to if you don't mind me asking.

It looks like there's insurgence in Korean programs of recent. Are you applying for MA or PhD from undergrad?

Hi, I applied to ten PhDs and one MA (for UToronto, because they usually require a MA for PhD). 

A couple of professors I consulted at my study-abroad school in the States thought that I should just apply straight to a PhD.

I might apply for an MA in Korea in the spring depending on the results of this application cycle since admission and funding are very competitive. 

Best of luck for everyone! The application process was (still is..) tough but I think I learned a lot from this cycle :)

2 hours ago, raynyday said:

yes, I am an international student with MA. I applied for about 10 programs including Stanford, USC, WashU, Chicago and Columbia. 

Hi everyone, I’m applying and my research focus is pre-modern Chinese literature. Just wondering—has anyone received interview invitations for the AMES (Chin studies) MPhil program at Cambridge? I know guys who chose the modern pathway received invitations from their pi before Christmas, but those who went for pre-modern (including me) don’t seem like have received :(

Hi Awn! I heard from my friend who got an interview with WashU that interview invitations were sent out only to those in the China study applicant pool, so don't worry too much (I learned from your posts that you do Korean literature). Let's just keep waiting. Finger crossed for everyone!

Edited by HashirEEEmerosu

34 minutes ago, HashirEEEmerosu said:

Hi Awn! I heard from my friend who got an interview with WashU that interview invitations were sent out only to those in the China study applicant pool, so don't worry too much (I learned from your posts that you do Korean literature). Let's just keep waiting. Finger crosses for everyone!

Thanks for sharing the news! fingers crossed for you too, HashirEEEmerosu!!

On 12/19/2023 at 8:46 PM, HashirEEEmerosu said:

Stanford EALC doesn't seem to do interviews, but I guess Princeton is likely to send out interview invitations sometime this week.

Is it true Stanford doesn’t do interviews? Seems strange?