2024 East Asian Studies (EAS/EALL/EALCS/EALC)

onf

On 1/6/2024 at 8:25 AM, raynyday said:

Is it true Stanford doesn’t do interviews? Seems strange?

It's mentioned on their website that they may conduct interviews, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone update in the result section saying they received a Stanford interview. Besides, none of my friends, whether admitted or rejected, have received interviews either (but my so-called experience is only based on anecdotal evidence from friends and observation of the result section, so don't quote me on this!

Hey everyone, I'm also applying to some EALC programs –– just had an interview with Harvard last week, and I guess I'll just wait until the results are out? not sure when. I'm also curious if anyone else is applying for U Chicago EALC. I haven't received anything from them, but I'd love to know if anyone's heard anything. Good luck to us all!

4 hours ago, paperproducer said:

Hey everyone, I'm also applying to some EALC programs –– just had an interview with Harvard last week, and I guess I'll just wait until the results are out? not sure when. I'm also curious if anyone else is applying for U Chicago EALC. I haven't received anything from them, but I'd love to know if anyone's heard anything. Good luck to us all!

I also applied to U Chicago but haven't heard anything yet :( 

2 hours ago, onf said:

I also applied to U Chicago but haven't heard anything yet :( 

Same here :( but I haven't heard of U Chicago conducting interviews. It seems like their EALC program simply updates the portal in early February and tears everyone's heart apart in silence, with no interview and not even an email reminding people to check their portal. But I guess this year is quite unusual for all programs. I heard from some current Ph.D. students that around the same time last year, Princeton had already started sending out their third-round interview invitations, and surprisingly, this year, there haven't been any updates in the results indicating Princeton interviews so far!

8 hours ago, paperproducer said:

Hi ! thank you for sharing your interview status. May I ask if you are applying for HEAL or literature? I am applying for the religion in Harvard EALC and I got no invitation, maybe it is a sign of the rejection.

Edited by Aikodesu

1 hour ago, HashirEEEmerosu said:

Same here :( but I haven't heard of U Chicago conducting interviews. It seems like their EALC program simply updates the portal in early February and tears everyone's heart apart in silence, with no interview and not even an email reminding people to check their portal. But I guess this year is quite unusual for all programs. I heard from some current Ph.D. students that around the same time last year, Princeton had already started sending out their third-round interview invitations, and surprisingly, this year, there haven't been any updates in the results indicating Princeton interviews so far!

I have heard that my friend was invited to the first round of the interview with POI but no update she gets the second one.

10 hours ago, HashirEEEmerosu said:

I've gotten two interviews from Princeton, was told that the third committee interview would be sometime mid-January for those who pass through.

9 hours ago, Aikodesu said:

Hi ! thank you for sharing your interview status. May I ask if you are applying for HEAL or literature? I am applying for the religion in Harvard EALC and I got no invitation, maybe it is a sign of the rejection.

Hi! I applied to EALC with a focus on cinema and media. 

1 hour ago, Ralstini said:

I've gotten two interviews from Princeton, was told that the third committee interview would be sometime mid-January for those who pass through.

10 hours ago, Aikodesu said:

I have heard that my friend was invited to the first round of the interview with POI but no update she gets the second one.

OMG thanks for the information! Now I have to tell my friends not to cry...Best of luck to @Ralstiniand @Aikodesu's friend!

Has anyone applied to the Korean Studies sector and gotten an interview call? I didn't apply to Princeton, Yale, or Harvard, so I was wondering if anyone has heard from other schools. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Awn said:

Has anyone applied to the Korean Studies sector and gotten an interview call? I didn't apply to Princeton, Yale, or Harvard, so I was wondering if anyone has heard from other schools. Thanks!

I did a one-on-one virtual interview with the POI at UCLA, but none from the others. I also applied to UChicago and USC and haven't heard back. 

The professor at UCLA said that they don't do official interviews with the entire committee; it's more informal interviews with professors reaching out to students. 

Hi everyone, just wanted to add my two cents as a third-time applicant.

I've been applying to Ph.D. programs (unsuccessfully) since 2019. So, you'd be justified in ignoring my advice right off the bat. That'd be understandable. 

I am sure that all of you will come away from this cycle with a favorable result. But I'd like to give you some advice that I never got in previous years.

First, this process can tend to be slow, even agonizingly so. Second, departments do not interact with every applicant the same way. The process is highly opaque; there is a lot we can't know for sure. Departments such as the East Asian Studies/Languages and Cultures, etc. programs that we've applied to provide laughably little information for applicants. If you don't believe me, go check out a STEM department. Or even an area studies department in the U.K.--where it is not uncommon for professors to indicate up front (in their bios, which are not all ten years out of date) whether or not they are taking new students. 

Finally, I strongly recommend that you start to think about what your backup plan might be. At the very least, start thinking about what you might be doing this summer if things don't pan out. This is especially important, in my experience, for graduating MA students. Don't be in the position I was in last May, attending my graduation ceremony empty-handed, with no job to lean on, no opportunities on my radar, needing to move out and find a place to live, let alone something to do. Start talking to advisors or professors to see if they have any ideas about alternatives for at least the next year. 

I will continue to check in on this thread as the decisions roll out. But I am old and weary now, and I am focusing on the other parts of life as I wait for the inevitable to come knocking on my Gmail inbox. 

Take care of yourselves, get more sleep, and spend more time with friends or doing the things you enjoy. And think about the summer! 

Edited by wanlichangcheng

What WanliChangCheng (萬里長城?) said is certainly true, we shouldn't be reading tea leaves here. Hopefully everyone is able to focus on their health and doesn't become too obsessed with this. Also, to Wanlichangcheng, I hope this time turns out better than you're expecting!

6 hours ago, Naxiboy said:

Hi! Has anyone heard from Princeton about the third-round interviews? Thanks!

I got a committee interview request (third round) a few days ago, but it was scheduled for the end of the month.

2 hours ago, midsummer22 said:

Hi! I am also an EALC applicant this season. Has anyone applied to Columbia? I was wondering if they have interviews like other institutions. 

I applied as well but haven't heard anything either!

15 hours ago, Ralstini said:

I got a committee interview request (third round) a few days ago, but it was scheduled for the end of the month.

I applied as well but haven't heard anything either!

Hey Ralstini, congrats on your third round interview! I had my two interviews with Princeton EAS late December but haven’t heard back about the third. Should I be worried? 

14 hours ago, DragonSlay said:

Hey Ralstini, congrats on your third round interview! I had my two interviews with Princeton EAS late December but haven’t heard back about the third. Should I be worried? 

Hey, congrats on getting the two interviews! What's your subfield? I'm Chinese history, focusing on the middle period. If yours is different there could be a different process.

Additionally, none of us here actually knows how any of this works, so I wouldn't know what that means for you. That said, they treat applicants fairly differently as far as i'm aware. I wish you the best of luck though!

Didn’t receive the third interview as well. Thought Princeton was a great match. (sigh) Why couldn’t they just reject me downright? It’s such a torture knowing I didn’t get in but still couldn’t help refreshing my mail and hoping for a miracle.

Anyway, good luck for those who got it!!

Has anyone heard back from USC? It seems they usually send out interviews around mid-January in previous application rounds but I haven't seen any USC interviews post this year. Could it be that those who received interviews just aren't posting on Grad Cafe? Feeling breathtakingly nervous...

On 1/20/2024 at 8:36 PM, HashirEEEmerosu said:

Has anyone heard back from USC? It seems they usually send out interviews around mid-January in previous application rounds but I haven't seen any USC interviews post this year. Could it be that those who received interviews just aren't posting on Grad Cafe? Feeling breathtakingly nervous...

Same here. I applied for two programs of USC but neither of them has any update. Do they usually have interviews?