2024 East Asian Studies (EAS/EALL/EALCS/EALC)

onf

On 1/21/2024 at 1:36 PM, HashirEEEmerosu said:

Has anyone heard back from USC? It seems they usually send out interviews around mid-January in previous application rounds but I haven't seen any USC interviews post this year. Could it be that those who received interviews just aren't posting on Grad Cafe? Feeling breathtakingly nervous...

Same here; haven't heard anything back from USC

By the way, has anyone applied for the McDonnell fellowship at Washington University(WUST)? I wonder how much the fellowship application/decision influences the actual PhD application/decision...

I was also wondering if anyone else interviewed with the University of Washington(Seattle)?

I did a Zoom interview with two POIs in Korean studies; seemed more casual not like a committee interview but they asked some in-depth questions about my writing sample...They were very nice though. Towards the latter part of the interview we just spoke in full Korean. Had a good experience overall!

Best of luck to anyone else who is doing interviews!

2 hours ago, CsyJ said:

Same here; haven't heard anything back from USC

By the way, has anyone applied for the McDonnell fellowship at Washington University(WUST)? I wonder how much the fellowship application/decision influences the actual PhD application/decision...

Hi, I am also applying for the McDonnell (haven't started writing yet...). The fellowship is a subsidery one, it does not affect the program application. But the materials submitted to the phd application can be retrived by McDonnell academy for reference. 

Congrats to those who got the third-round interview! I didn't hear anything from Princeton, so guess I'm rejected😢 (Kinda expected though..) I also applied to Chicago, Cornell, UC Irvine, UPenn, and UC Santa Barbara but haven't heard anything yet. Just want to know whether they usually have interviews or not. Anyway, good luck to those who received the interview invitation!

5 hours ago, onf said:

Congrats to those who got the third-round interview! I didn't hear anything from Princeton, so guess I'm rejected😢 (Kinda expected though..) I also applied to Chicago, Cornell, UC Irvine, UPenn, and UC Santa Barbara but haven't heard anything yet. Just want to know whether they usually have interviews or not. Anyway, good luck to those who received the interview invitation!

The same here, I applied to around 12 schools in America, but didn't heard from them ever since Dec, it's grinding experience... Feel like I am going to collect rejection letters in the next month.

12 hours ago, onf said:

As far as I know, UPenn had sent interview invitations. 

21 hours ago, onf said:

I haven't heard from Chicago or Cornell, but I have interviewed with UPenn and UC Irvine. (I've heard that Chicago doesn't do interviews, but I have no idea about Cornell!) Good luck!

11 hours ago, tamatato said:

I haven't heard from Chicago or Cornell, but I have interviewed with UPenn and UC Irvine. (I've heard that Chicago doesn't do interviews, but I have no idea about Cornell!) Good luck!

Hello tomato, do you mind sharing your subfield and when you received the interview invitation from UC Irvine? Thank you for the information! 

@onf For sure! I'm in Japanese Studies. I applied to U Michigan, Stanford, U Penn, U Chicago, Harvard, Toronto, Cornell, and UC Irvine. I've had/will have interviews with U Michigan, U Penn, Harvard, and UC Irvine, and I haven't heard anything from the rest. I received the UC Irvine invitation a week ago. 

3 hours ago, tamatato said:

@onf For sure! I'm in Japanese Studies. I applied to U Michigan, Stanford, U Penn, U Chicago, Harvard, Toronto, Cornell, and UC Irvine. I've had/will have interviews with U Michigan, U Penn, Harvard, and UC Irvine, and I haven't heard anything from the rest. I received the UC Irvine invitation a week ago. 

Thanks for sharing. Wish you luck in your upcoming interviews!!

Thank you so much!

Also, I saw that some folks were asking about Stanford. Just as a heads-up, I just got an interview invitation from them via email. Best of luck to everyone waiting!

I was sexually assaulted by a colleague as a student at Stanford EALC. Please be careful when you go out drinking with colleagues and always report incidents to campus police even if pressured to do otherwise. Always feel empowered to say no or excuse yourself if someone's comments or behavior is making you uncomfortable. No one has the right to touch you without your permission.

Best of luck to everyone, and I hope you are able to thrive and succeed in your new programs.

@everysingleday Thank you for sharing that, and I am so sorry someone did that to you. I have had similar experiences at other universities, and it's truly awful. Sending good vibes your way. 

3 hours ago, paperproducer said:

Has anyone heard back from Harvard on their second-round committee interview? I heard some rumors, but I haven't received anything from them since my first-round interview

Hello! Received a 2-round interview invitation last week, saying that I've passed the first round of screening. 

5 hours ago, zimablue said:

Hello! Received a 2-round interview invitation last week, saying that I've passed the first round of screening. 

Hi thank you for your reply! I see, then I guess it might be a sign of rejection for me😂 good luck to you!

Hi all! This is my first PhD application cycle, I want to say good luck to everyone still waiting, and congrats to everyone who has received good news already. I wish I found this thread earlier, so allow me to share my experience so far:

I study Japanese modern/contemporary lit and film, and I applied to Stanford PhD, Berkeley PhD, Columbia PhD & Harvard PhD. So far I have been accepted to Berkeley, informally notified by POI last week and formally notified via portal on Jan 29. I have had two informal meetings with POI’s from Harvard in early January, and just completed final round interview with admissions committee. I have no clue when I will hear back about the results, but one POI said they generally start notifying by second week of Feb (about Feb 10). I have yet to hear anything from Stanford or Columbia. Hope this fills in any blanks on others timelines. Best of luck to us all! 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:02 AM, nikukyuu said:

@everysingleday Thank you for sharing that, and I am so sorry someone did that to you. I have had similar experiences at other universities, and it's truly awful. Sending good vibes your way. 

Hi how was your interview? Was it formal with the committee or more informal with the POI?

Hi, does anyone know the result realse process of Cornell-Asian Literature, religon, culture PhD program? I saw someone reported the rejection but my portal does not update the status. Don't know it means good or bad (do they release the rejection in different rounds)? BTW, I haven't heard any interview information of Cornell. Did anyone have the interview?

On 2/2/2024 at 6:35 AM, raynyday said:

Hi how was your interview? Was it formal with the committee or more informal with the POI?

I can answer you on behalf of him/her. It was a formal, structured interview with the committee members. 

6 hours ago, Awn said:

I can answer you on behalf of him/her. It was a formal, structured interview with the committee members. 

Then I guess I should be bracing for the inevitable rejection. Good luck to you both!

On 1/23/2024 at 4:47 AM, onf said:

I applied UCSB as well. Have you heard from them yet?

Hello all! Rejected from Stanford! So much pain! 

I saw that some people got interviews for UCLA and Columbia, or received their acceptances/rejections. Radio silence on my end, no interview requests or anything. I know I have to wait for confirmation but I can't help feeling negative about this...