2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

On 2/3/2024 at 2:54 AM, Maverickz said:

I think majority of applicants that opted for high ranking schools are domestic student. IMO, Safety schools to me are R2 schools. 

Purely out of curiosity (no judgment here), why apply to "safety schools"? I have to assume if you're applying, you're willing to go there. Do folks just need a PhD from a reputable American university to succeed on the international market? Is the hope to gain status in America with the PhD? I just know that hearing from professors how competitive the American academic market influenced my choice in programs, so I'm wondering if international applicants have a different perspective because they have different objectives.

18 minutes ago, jce8491 said:

Purely out of curiosity (no judgment here), why apply to "safety schools"? I have to assume if you're applying, you're willing to go there. Do folks just need a PhD from a reputable American university to succeed on the international market? Is the hope to gain status in America with the PhD? I just know that hearing from professors how competitive the American academic market influenced my choice in programs, so I'm wondering if international applicants have a different perspective because they have different objectives.

Hi, international applicant here.

I don't think domestic and international applicants differ too much in terms of their motivations. We all choose and apply to schools that we deem is best for our development and, perhaps more importantly, would lead us to good jobs in the future. That being said, what land you a good job can be different in the domestic and international market. For example, a strange phenomenon that I have witnessed in the East Asian market (could be just my perception, potentially anecdotal): a job applicant from a lower ranked American program might be more appealing to the hiring committee than one from a higher ranked program in East Asia. In a hypothetical scenario, I could imagine, all things equal, a USC graduate (great program btw) could compete on a same level with a graduate from the top 3 schools in the region (which rank 10th - 30th internationally, higher than USC).

In short, there seems to be a predilection for graduates from American universities in other parts of the world, in terms of hiring. Therefore, I would say some international applicants might be more willing to go for R2 or even R3 schools because they believe they are still highly employable back home.

Just my two cents. Disclaimer: still a student and it could very well be the case that I don't know what I am talking about.

1 hour ago, conflict_resolutioner said:

Hi, international applicant here.

I don't think domestic and international applicants differ too much in terms of their motivations. We all choose and apply to schools that we deem is best for our development and, perhaps more importantly, would lead us to good jobs in the future. That being said, what land you a good job can be different in the domestic and international market. For example, a strange phenomenon that I have witnessed in the East Asian market (could be just my perception, potentially anecdotal): a job applicant from a lower ranked American program might be more appealing to the hiring committee than one from a higher ranked program in East Asia. In a hypothetical scenario, I could imagine, all things equal, a USC graduate (great program btw) could compete on a same level with a graduate from the top 3 schools in the region (which rank 10th - 30th internationally, higher than USC).

In short, there seems to be a predilection for graduates from American universities in other parts of the world, in terms of hiring. Therefore, I would say some international applicants might be more willing to go for R2 or even R3 schools because they believe they are still highly employable back home.

Just my two cents. Disclaimer: still a student and it could very well be the case that I don't know what I am talking about.

International applicant from China here. I very much agree with you. I think a Chinese gradaute with an European or American degree is still very competitive on the Chinese academic market currently. There are obviously exceptions, but people tend to beleive that American trained PhDs are more methodologically and theortically rigorous. 

My personal motivations behind this cycle is to just see if I could get into any of US programs. If not, I may try a second time or just go get a Chinese PhD. A Chinese PhD still serves my personal interests and future plans but objectively not as good as an American degree. So, this mentality ties to the so-called "safety schools" concept I guess (I don't think there are any safety programs for PhDs, it is all about match and fit). I personally applied to some programs that are not as competitive as some of the top ones, which I think is a way of making "safeties" for myself. If only one program that is not a top one accepts me, I am happy to take it because a US degree is what it matters.

1 hour ago, jce8491 said:

Because it's pure luck that would make you to be considered for admission as an international students.

Some of us in preparation for this graduate school admission based on bad exchange rate, million or thousands of our local currency are invested in this struggle without assurance of admission, and you don't want us to opt for safety schools??

International applicants do divide their applications into three tiers; tops schools, moderate schools and Low schools. If top and moderate schools mess you up and low school offer you admission, the best thing you can do for your progress is to attend the program, at that moment that's the only school that can resonate with your research interest. IMO, progress is progress.

The standard over there in US is high compare to developing countries. Imagine comparing three publications from asia/africa with a publication in US, as an admission committee who would you consider?

In our world here, Be it R1 or R2 in US, We believed every institution was established with good standards. So, no problem in finding jobs at home.

1 hour ago, Maverickz said:

Because it's pure luck that would make you to be considered for admission as an international students.

Some of us in preparation for this graduate school admission based on bad exchange rate, million or thousands of our local currency are invested in this struggle without assurance of admission, and you don't want us to opt for safety schools??

International applicants do divide their applications into three tiers; tops schools, moderate schools and Low schools. If top and moderate schools mess you up and low school offer you admission, the best thing you can do for your progress is to attend the program, at that moment that's the only school that can resonate with your research interest. IMO, progress is progress.

The standard over there in US is high compare to developing countries. Imagine comparing three publications from asia/africa with a publication in US, as an admission committee who would you consider?

In our world here, Be it R1 or R2 in US, We believed every institution was established with good standards. So, no problem in finding jobs at home.

No, as I said in my post, I wasn't commenting on whether you should or shouldn't apply to "safety schools." I was asking an earnest question. You and others answered it. The international market isn't as snobbish when it comes to American universities as the American market is.

I think the biggest reason is funding. 
Of course, one should not apply to a "safety school" that doesn't offer a decent funding package, but in almost all academic markets outside of the US, PhDs in the social sciences are just not funded. So you either need to work on the side (often forbidden by the program) or take up student loans. This is also the main reasons why so many UK students that have great universities with LSE, Oxbridge etc. in PoliSci there, often prefer a place like USC (to take the example from above) over a DPhil in Politics at Oxford. Oxford is mostly unfunded and (!) has really high tuition on top of that. Scholarships are really competitive and you receive the decision about those maybe in June. I am currently in the UK market, could probably stay there rather easily and still applied to much "less reputable" PoliSci departments in the US, solely for that reason.

So, decent US PhDs = financial security, at least for the duration of the PhD. What comes afterwards, differs depending on job goals. Many of us just want a safe (and ideally reputable) higher education job in Political Science and don't necessarily care if that might be in the "home market" or overseas.

Edited by SJPY

9 hours ago, jce8491 said:

As you pointed out, international applicants aren't a homogeneous pool of students and have different motives and objectives in mind when applying abroad. I can only provide my anecdotal personal experience. In my case (and many of my fellow countrymen and women) applying is primarily decided by the the fact that a) the current academic conditions in our country makes it virtually impossible to pursue a PhD in humanities without butchering your academic integrity, and b) PhD funding in our country is a joke, and how the funding works abroad. Most students apply based on these facts. I don't care much about the school ranking, if the POI is a perfect match and the funding is enough for sustaining a normal life, I will take the position in a heartbeat. "Safety Options" are imposed by the ranking themselves since they naturally have a higher chance of granting admission. At the end of the day, I prioritise my options based on the targeted supervisor at the applied school and the funding package. These factors are the tiebreakers for me if I get multiple acceptances, and the ranking comes last. Just my two cents on this matter.

Just now, lezz said:

Any other ones claiming Princeton? 🥺

i saw two "politics" and two "political science" on the result page. so guess they already sent out acceptances. 

1 hour ago, Polisci882 said:

Do we think UNC has already released all of its offers? This early batch release is unlike how they’ve done it in previous years, so I’m not sure what to think

I'd say the chances are slim for UNC. Do they usually have a waitlist?

12 minutes ago, Ir2024 said:

Claiming Georgetown waitlist in IR subfield. Congrats to all who were admitted. Thought it was a good fit and my interview went well. 😕

Did you get an email or just check your portal?