2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

11 minutes ago, TPike said:

Hey guys, I haven't said anything in a little while, but send some good luck my way, PLEASE. I've been rejected from Northwestern, Cornell, and most likely JHU. Kinda losing hope tbh. 

Rooting for you, you got this! Where else are you waiting to hear back from?

5 hours ago, CLCH said:

Not sure what to make of the fact that I haven't heard from WashU or JHU yet. Anyone else apply in fiction and not hear anything from them?

Yeah. Haven't heard from them either. 

7 minutes ago, triciadawn said:

Do we think Ole Miss is done notifying? There was movement yesterday, but not much today. 

I really hope not. My fingers are crossed that they’ll keep notifying until Thursday. It’s the closet school to home for me and I really don’t feel like moving again lol. 

5 hours ago, eeeeeek said:

Does anyone know if U Pitt poetry interview requests (or results) have been sent out? 

Pitt sent out interview requests Jan 30-Feb 6, based on prior years that most likely means they're done sending those and will be sending out the final results by the end of the month. If we haven't gotten anything by now it's probably safe to assume rejection 😔 (though I'll always hold a small sliver of hope until the official rejection and take the waiting time to brace myself lol)

5 hours ago, TPike said:

Hey guys, I haven't said anything in a little while, but send some good luck my way, PLEASE. I've been rejected from Northwestern, Cornell, and most likely JHU. Kinda losing hope tbh. 

I'm out of reactions but sending plenty of goodluck your way 💕🫂

11 hours ago, TPike said:

Come on, we both need a 🫂 

7 hours ago, writernity said:

Pitt sent out interview requests Jan 30-Feb 6, based on prior years that most likely means they're done sending those and will be sending out the final results by the end of the month. If we haven't gotten anything by now it's probably safe to assume rejection 😔 (though I'll always hold a small sliver of hope until the official rejection and take the waiting time to brace myself lol)

Great, I've scratched Pitts on my notebook 🫠

Anyone has any information on u of south carolina, u of carolina, u of idaho, Nevada-LA, and u of south Florida ?

Hi, everyone! I've been reading through this forum a little bit everyday and have finally caught up to the end! It's been great reading through everyone's experiences and absolutely makes me feel less alone in my 'application portal refresh' world. I've especially been digging everyone's 'what happens after' ideas and concerns. A little about me because y'all have shared sooo much: Fiction writer with a specialization in literary speculative fiction, in my 30s with a full time job in the writing world, studied creative writing in college, and pursuing an MFA in fiction to deepen my craft skills and teaching skills. 

I only applied to a couple of schools this round (Bennington and Iowa). I've heard back from Bennington and am in for their June 2024 start! And before anyone panics, Bennington (to my knowledge) hasn't sent responses yet. I heard back about my acceptance to Bennington early because I applied for their January 2024 start back in September, but they were full and instead offered me a spot in their June 2024 cohort. 

Still waiting on Iowa. Favorite pass time while waiting out the final decision: writing, of course, but non-writing wise building terrariums and drawing have been huge stress reliefs over the past couple of months.

Happy to be here and wishing everyone the best of luck in the application process, but also with their craft in general!

34 minutes ago, Kyla2023 said:

Great, I've scratched Pitts on my notebook 🫠

Anyone has any information on u of south carolina, u of carolina, u of idaho, Nevada-LA, and u of south Florida ?

I may have spoken a tad too soon-- someone put a Pitt interview for nonfiction on the draft sheet today! I forgot they had cnf 😅 it does look like they're most likely done with reqs for fiction and poetry, but you never know. Don't cross anything out until official notice comes!

One person logged an acceptance for a PHD at South Carolina on the 2nd, but I'm not seeing anything beyond that. I don't see anything for Nevada LA, but a couple reports for Nevada Reno and one for Nevada Las Vegas. 2 acceptances were logged for South Florida on the 5th, one for poetry and one for fiction. Nothing from the rest so far. You might want to check here on the gradcafe results tab too, that's just from Draft.

13 hours ago, TPike said:

To put it in perspective, these are maybe the three hardest programs in the country to get into, I believe they each take around 4 people per genre, and because they're among the highest paying, they get the most applications. Even for the most talented writers these are extreme long shots.

18 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

To put it in perspective, these are maybe the three hardest programs in the country to get into, I believe they each take around 4 people per genre, and because they're among the highest paying, they get the most applications. Even for the most talented writers these are extreme long shots.

Yeah these were my dream list of schools but I removed them last minute in my application process after looking over my undergrad transcripts, hahah.

received a WashU rejection for fiction yesterday :0  But here's to everyone getting good news! It makes me happy and keeps me moving forward to hear it. It's still early days!   Btw...what's the consensus for U of Oregon? All done? I haven't heard from them and I'd like to just know if I should count them out. 

3 minutes ago, ajcam said:

received a WashU rejection for fiction yesterday :0  But here's to everyone getting good news! It makes me happy and keeps me moving forward to hear it. It's still early days!   Btw...what's the consensus for U of Oregon? All done? I haven't heard from them and I'd like to just know if I should count them out. 

I was rejected from washu as well! Yay!

I haven't heard back from U of Oregon, but I am expecting a rejection in a mass wave sometime this week or next. I think all acceptances and waitlists for them have gone out.

48 minutes ago, prufrock_ said:

I was rejected from washu as well! Yay!

I haven't heard back from U of Oregon, but I am expecting a rejection in a mass wave sometime this week or next. I think all acceptances and waitlists for them have gone out.

We're twining! I feel less alone.