2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

5 hours ago, Hjanep said:

Anyone else over here going “maybe Iowa has started calling people but they just aren’t the people on draft/gradcafe”? 

I need a vacation from myself

Has anyone reached out to the department to ask about their status? I know there are some Iowa vets/attendees on Draft, have they said anything about decisions going out?

1 minute ago, chruchchirp said:

Has anyone reached out to the department to ask about their status? I know there are some Iowa vets/attendees on Draft, have they said anything about decisions going out?

Nope, nothing and I'm itchy...

Edited by jadedoptimist
also welcome to the convo chirp:)

12 minutes ago, chruchchirp said:

I’m afraid of pestering them but one of them did help me with my application. I just… am trying to just hold out hope and not make it weird?

Update: no insight but should be soon, first readers are mostly done and it’s in faculty hands now

Edited by Hjanep

13 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

I’m afraid of pestering them but one of them did help me with my application. I just… am trying to just hold out hope and not make it weird?

okay. I asked. Stay tuned. 

Godspeed

edit: omg thank you for doing this 

is this a fiction prof you were corresponding with? Or someone who could potentially be speaking to both genres... 👀

Edited by jadedoptimist
Update

24 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

Update: no insight but should be soon, first readers are mostly done and it’s in faculty hands now

Thank you for asking! 

Anyone else get followed by Iowa faculty on their socials?? It's an adjunct professor so I'm guessing a first reader. I want to read into it soooooo bad. I had a couple people from Iowa checking out my LinkedIn page a few weeks back and it also got me excited. 

1 hour ago, Chex said:

Here goes:

1. Heated Rivalry by Rachel Reid (M/M, this is THE hockey romance, book 2 of mostly standalone series called the Game Changers series. You can read this one first or go in order, if you prefer).

2. His Quiet Agent by Ada Maria Soto (Really wonderful asexual romance)

3. Glitterland by Alexis Hall (one MC has bouts of mental illness)

4. Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall (romcom)

5. Jericho by Ann McMan (slow burn F/F romance)

6. The Drake Chronicles series by Lauren Gilley (book series, romantasy set in ancient times, magic, dragons, intrigue and action, multiple couples; first book is called Heart of Winter)

7. Muscling Through by J.L. Merrow (opposites attract, a university professor and someone considered 'slow')

8. Special Forces - Soldiers by Aleksandr Voinov, Marquesate, Vashtan (Military M/M set in the 80s. Content warning: this is dark romance. Like, fucked up shit. Terrible things happen. Don't read this if it might be too much for you. But also, good stuff happens. It is an intense and amazing story)

9. The Last Kiss by Sally Malcolm (Beautiful historical romance set around/after WW1)

10. Thrown Off the Ice by Taylor Fitzpatrick (hockey romance. Content warning: it starts innocuously enough but this is not exactly textbook romance)

11. Wingmen by Ensan Case (early gay romance published in the 70s? Set during WW2. Great story. Packs a big emotional punch)

12. Peter Cabot Gets Lost by Cat Sebastian (Historical romance set in the 1960s)

12. We Could Be So Good by Cat Sebastian (same as above)

13. The Sleeping Soldier by Aster Glenn Gray (someone supposedly dies in the 1860s but only fell asleep à la Sleeping Beauty. He wakes in the 1960s and must deal with living in the modern world)

14. Red Dirt Heart series by N.R. Walker (Australia, large farm)

15. Galaxies and Oceans by N.R. Walker

Let's stop here for now, LOL. There's a lot more where that came from.

oh this is beautiful!!! thank you!!!!

Meme that I have just dreamed up:

You guys are checking your email every 5 minutes. I'm tightly folding up a slip of paper with "Iowa Writer's Workshop" written on it 100 times in red ink, dropping it in a vial of my tears, lighting 13 candles around it, then using the wax to seal the vial and burying it while chanting lines from Mary Oliver poems. We are not the same. 

Hi all! Longtime lurker, but I couldn't resist the conversation about queer romance haha. My favorite queer romance author (maybe one of my favorite authors?) is K.J. Charles. She writes mostly regency romance, but does have a series set in the Jazz Age, I believe. Her book Think of England also has one of the most incredible descriptions of poetry that I've ever read!

It's crickets in my inbox from BU. I'm assuming I didn't get in or waitlisted because I haven't heard from them on that....but I also haven't gotten a rejection yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, pananoprodigy said:

Ugh today feels like it's been another slow day. I don't know why but I really had it in my head that there was going to be a big wave of news all week.

I agree, 2/15 mixed with 'post awp week' felt like we would see tons of movement. We'll just have to be a bit more patient, but it's tough!

2 minutes ago, pananoprodigy said:

Ugh today feels like it's been another slow day. I don't know why but I really had it in my head that there was going to be a big wave of news all week.

edit: i do know why, it's because I'm delulu ❤️

no, it's because it feels this way...  I think for most of us. there's a deadline for them too and the closer it gets without responses, the more imminent a wave seems. Soon it will be so. 

20 minutes ago, _redrabbit7 said:

is that Brown University? what did they say?

Ops sorry! University of Boston. Emailed a complete form letter addressed “Dear Writer.”  Promising a more formal rejection was on its way, lest I need to be clubbed over the head with this information. Lol 

2 minutes ago, ajcam said:

Ops sorry! University of Boston. Emailed a complete form letter addressed “Dear Writer.”  Promising a more formal rejection was on its way, lest I need to be clubbed over the head with this information. Lol 

sorry to hear that. i hope you get accepted somewhere else, if there are any. 

10 hours ago, pananoprodigy said:

edit: i do know why, it's because I'm delulu ❤️

10 hours ago, prufrock_ said:

I agree, 2/15 mixed with 'post awp week' felt like we would see tons of movement. We'll just have to be a bit more patient, but it's tough!

10 hours ago, Scribe said:

no, it's because it feels this way...  I think for most of us. there's a deadline for them too and the closer it gets without responses, the more imminent a wave seems. Soon it will be so. 

Good morning folks !! I agree re: we had reason to expect a wave, wave has been mostly rejections but the week's not over yet 🫶