2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

7 hours ago, jadedoptimist said:

Lol, it happens. Hope you get accepted soon! 

Does anyone else have it in their head that this week is going to be *the week* for acceptances? Even though it could very well go on for another week or two afterwards. I can barely focus, but I'm going to soldier through some of my to-do list and then ... maybe even do some writing???

It's likely to go on for at least another month based on the typical data. A lot of schools don't tend to send anything out til mid-March, and even into early April! I do feel like big stuff might be coming this week, though. Partially because I just today finished up all my major obligations that have been keeping me busy, and now all that's left is The Waiting. Combined with the past two weeks of said Waiting, the anticipation is really building and building and ready to burst! I do expect we'll see official results from Pittsburgh and JHU this week, at the least.

1 minute ago, triciadawn said:

Congrats!!! What genre? 

Fiction, someone also just posted on draft they got notified for poetry.

18 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

congrats!!! Starting off the week right 🙂

thanks! IDK how many people move from phase 2 to admission, but it does feel like a good sign :)

22 minutes ago, writernity said:

It's likely to go on for at least another month based on the typical data. A lot of schools don't tend to send anything out til mid-March, and even into early April! I do feel like big stuff might be coming this week, though. Partially because I just today finished up all my major obligations that have been keeping me busy, and now all that's left is The Waiting. Combined with the past two weeks of said Waiting, the anticipation is really building and building and ready to burst! I do expect we'll see official results from Pittsburgh and JHU this week, at the least.

Yeah, this is totally true. I wish I could read through the old Draft groups the same way you can read the last few years' forums on here. But based on what is available it does seem like things stretch til April. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to sleep tonight muttering "acceptance call... this week.... acceptance call... Elizabeth Willis.... "

Also, random/off topic, but I just made a Bluesky Social account because I wanted to follow Elizabeth McCracken after seeing her twitter account mentioned in MFA draft. She works at NWP in fiction I think? Anyhow she had some funny bluesky tweets about not being able to tweet about application stuff anymore because it makes ripples in the fb group 😂 anyone see that? also, if you guys have bluesky accounts and you want to follow each other let me know! 

1 hour ago, prufrock_ said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just got an email from ole miss saying I'm in round 2!!!!

Congratulations, hope you get an acceptance from it!

Nothing in my inbox from them, oh well.

0a/0w/2r/14p

Edited by Southron

Congrats to all who got good news.

After being rejected by Northwestern on 2/1, I'm waiting in silent darkness...

Michigan 

Idaho

Louisiana State 

U of South Carolina 

U of South Florida (Thank god, I didn't send out the application to UF in the last moment for some unknown reasons...)

U of South Florida 

Wstu

Pitts

Nevada- LA

I did get an email from UTK professor telling me that I got into round two and welcome to ask her anything about the  preparation before receiving the official school's notification. *Though I didn't apply for round two...

The only glimmer of hope I hang on to that my application might be not that hopeless...

Hi everyone, 

I've been lurking on here for a bit and have enjoyed getting to know you. I applied to a couple of schools this round (not many as I'm still unsure if an MFA is right for me). Do most of you want to end up teaching creative writing/English and that's why you are doing an MFA? Or is anyone doing an MFA just so you get a couple of years to write? 

A little context: I'm older than the average MFA student (41) and have a PhD in English lit. I found it very hard to stay in academia as I hadn't published enough scholarly articles. I am now teaching communication at a business school and really hate my job. I have been writing on and off over the past ten years and got a couple of stories published, but find it hard to keep it up with a full-time job, young kids, nobody to read my work, etc. An MFA for me would really be a way to buy time to write and to meet fellow writers. My goal is not to teach creative writing as I live in Switzerland and there is no such tradition here. 

As people in the arts and humanities, we are trained not to think of education as having a transactional value (i.e. where does this get me?). However, the reality is that we still have to think about what it is for, especially if, as in my case, it would require schlepping kids across the world, subsisting on a stipend, remortgaging the house, etc. I realize there is no such thing as an ideal MFA student (or maybe there is...who knows!), but if there is someone here who is, let's say, from a different stage in life, I'd like to hear what made you apply. 

Oh, and congratulations to the ones who got in or are waitlisted. And to the others: hoping you have plenty of exciting projects lined up to take the sting out.

6 minutes ago, Valle said:

Hi everyone, 

I've been lurking on here for a bit and have enjoyed getting to know you. I applied to a couple of schools this round (not many as I'm still unsure if an MFA is right for me). Do most of you want to end up teaching creative writing/English and that's why you are doing an MFA? Or is anyone doing an MFA just so you get a couple of years to write? 

A little context: I'm older than the average MFA student (41) and have a PhD in English lit. I found it very hard to stay in academia as I hadn't published enough scholarly articles. I am now teaching communication at a business school and really hate my job. I have been writing on and off over the past ten years and got a couple of stories published, but find it hard to keep it up with a full-time job, young kids, nobody to read my work, etc. An MFA for me would really be a way to buy time to write and to meet fellow writers. My goal is not to teach creative writing as I live in Switzerland and there is no such tradition here. 

As people in the arts and humanities, we are trained not to think of education as having a transactional value (i.e. where does this get me?). However, the reality is that we still have to think about what it is for, especially if, as in my case, it would require schlepping kids across the world, subsisting on a stipend, remortgaging the house, etc. I realize there is no such thing as an ideal MFA student (or maybe there is...who knows!), but if there is someone here who is, let's say, from a different stage in life, I'd like to hear what made you apply. 

Oh, and congratulations to the ones who got in or are waitlisted. And to the others: hoping you have plenty of exciting projects lined up to take the sting out.

Your situation is not one of the more common ones but I know of people in their 40s and 50s applying to or currently attending MFA programs. They usually have children, though most of them are American. A few have mentioned on Draft (the Facebook group) that they're not interested in teaching. As an international applicant with children, you'll have more concerns to consider. I'd definitely advise applying only to fully-funded programs with higher stipends, and perhaps researching what support they have for parents. I admire your courage in taking this bold step for yourself (even though you're still considering your options). I sincerely hope things work out beautifully for you. 

I'm applying to MFA programs primarily because I want time to write, be among writers, and build a strong foundation for myself in the literary world. I don't mind teaching (I think I might enjoy it based on my very brief & informal experience teaching younger students), but what I hear from TAs & adjuncts in the US are mostly horror stories. They say it can be draining and the market is terrible. I keep that in mind, moderate my expectations, and try to look into alternative paths. 

I'm just into my 30s, an international applicant with no children. I have a master's degree in a different field but my career is nothing to write home about at the moment. Things have been difficult for some years but I have hope they'll swing around soon. I'm learning not to put my eggs in one basket, so I continue to look out for other opportunities to support myself and my writing. There are no easy answers. This is my first time applying and I might have made a few blunders in my application. I still hope I get into a great program; but if I don't, I'll find something sustainable to occupy me until I can apply again (if an MFA remains an attractive path for my writing journey). 

3 hours ago, Valle said:

Do most of you want to end up teaching creative writing/English and that's why you are doing an MFA? Or is anyone doing an MFA just so you get a couple of years to write? 

As people in the arts and humanities, we are trained not to think of education as having a transactional value (i.e. where does this get me?). However, the reality is that we still have to think about what it is for...

2 hours ago, Chex said:

I'm applying to MFA programs primarily because I want time to write, be among writers, and build a strong foundation for myself in the literary world. I don't mind teaching (I think I might enjoy it based on my very brief & informal experience teaching younger students), but what I hear from TAs & adjuncts in the US are mostly horror stories. They say it can be draining and the market is terrible. I keep that in mind, moderate my expectations, and try to look into alternative paths. 

Good morning everyone! (Although ofc it's not morning for everyone, since we have some international applicants in the chat.) In any case the weekend is over and we are due for some news. What is everyone doing to self-care and stay sane this week?

As for the discussion above, I think it's really commendable to a) seek an MFA later in life and b) seek it for the right reasons such that you're willing to make sacrifices because it's the right thing for you at that moment. I hope I'm seeking it for the right reasons (I really want to teach, get better at writing, and be part of the poetic literary world but I'm shy and need guidance to make these goals happen) but part of me worries that I'm applying just because I want validation and the chance to be accepted into a prestigious school and then, finally, I'll feel good enough... except, wait, it doesn't ever really work that way. (I'm in my early 20s, if you couldn't tell). 

In terms of the state of teaching, and adjunct horror stories, I do believe it's tough out there.  What I hear from a lot of people my age who are in grad school is that on top of the insufficient compensation, they are just not prepared or supported in teaching. That's why I enrolled in a teacher prep program before applying to grad school because I would feel terrified taking on a TAship without any preparation whatsoever. However, I don't think this should discourage those of us who have teaching as a goal and who are applying to MFAs at least partially in service of that goal. 

My final thought on this is that the advice going around to not mention if you want to teach in your SOP because it makes you look naive is patently ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, Valle said:

Hi everyone, 

Welcome to the thread! To echo @Chex, I really admire your courage to take a step toward finding a different path for yourself, even though there are many unknown factors and more considerations to juggle in your situation. I am nearly 27 (my b-day’s in 12 days!), and I decided to apply to MFAs this cycle after having made substantial progress on a book last year, but I realized that I still had a lot to learn as a writer, and I needed an MFA education and community if I wanted to grow into a stronger writer who could write the best possible version of my story. To me, being qualified to teach at the undergraduate level is a welcome positive byproduct from completing the degree, as I do college consulting and English tutoring for high school students and think I would really enjoy teaching undergrads. However, a teaching career is not guaranteed due to very limited positions, based on my knowledge. Therefore, while I acknowledge the importance of considering the practicality and professional benefits of any education, I think for the arts, it’s just as crucial to focus on how you hope to grow what you want to learn and not be too attached to a certain outcome. Personally, I just want the gift of time to work on my writing and dedicate myself to growing as a writer and artist among a community of like-minded individuals.

3 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

As for the discussion above, I think it's really commendable to a) seek an MFA later in life and b) seek it for the right reasons such that you're willing to make sacrifices because it's the right thing for you at that moment. I hope I'm seeking it for the right reasons (I really want to teach, get better at writing, and be part of the poetic literary world but I'm shy and need guidance to make these goals happen) but part of me worries that I'm applying just because I want validation and the chance to be accepted into a prestigious school and then, finally, I'll feel good enough... except, wait, it doesn't ever really work that way. (I'm in my early 20s, if you couldn't tell). 

I know exactly what you mean. I did my Phd at Cambridge. Thought that forever fulfill this need for validation. News alert: it didn't! But finding out what that elusive right reason for wanting to do a degree is is difficult. 

4 hours ago, Valle said:

Hi everyone, 

Me! I think I’m in a similar boat to yours, I have a 1 and 3 year old, am super settled in where I live, went to grad school to get into a more lucrative field 8 years ago. Now I just really want 2-3 years to actually have time and space to write and need some guidance and instruction to improve at a faster clip. It’s starting to feel like my life is the plot of The Giving Tree… “I want money so I can have a house/children,” now I want more intellectual fulfillment/time and luckily have a supportive partner in all this but yes. It’s a stressful endeavor. I don’t think I would target teaching jobs down the road (never say never but…), I think it’s more probable I get a lower key/lower paying version of my current job when I re-enter the workforce. 

7 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

Me! I think I’m in a similar boat to yours, I have a 1 and 3 year old, am super settled in where I live, went to grad school to get into a more lucrative field 8 years ago. Now I just really want 2-3 years to actually have time and space to write and need some guidance and instruction to improve at a faster clip. It’s starting to feel like my life is the plot of The Giving Tree… “I want money so I can have a house/children,” now I want more intellectual fulfillment/time and luckily have a supportive partner in all this but yes. It’s a stressful endeavor. I don’t think I would target teaching jobs down the road (never say never but…), I think it’s more probable I get a lower key/lower paying version of my current job when I re-enter the workforce. 

Oh wow, exactly! I struggled for years to get a permanent job. Then once I got one realized, hold on, am I going to be doing this for the next twenty years of my life. How do you manage to write with a family? I am usually exhausted by the time the kids have gone to bed. 
Also, even if I do an MFA, the question of what comes next is not too far from my mind. I'd have to come back home to Switzerland and then what! You are not suddenly more hirable because you have an MFA.