Berkeley JSP 2024

LWitt

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 3:58 AM, Nervienellie said:

I applied too! Have any of you applied before? when did you hear back ?

This is my first time applying. Based on past years, it appears they send acceptances in early-to-mid February and rejections later that month or in early March.

Unfortunately, I am an expert on this particular topic.  Based on past experiences (and talking to past admittees on here and on campus) - the first acceptances are by telephone probably by next week.  As some accepted applicants turn Berkeley down (maybe after a few days of thinking time) there appears to be at least a small second round to fill spots that might get you to mid February.  All the rest of us are turned down rather unceremoniously by email essentially on the last day February (thanks for your application fee....).  Contacting the department about status is useless even if you have been in the no pile for weeks. My read is that if you don't hear by next friday - you should assume your chances are very low. 

23 hours ago, LWitt said:

Unfortunately, I am an expert on this particular topic.  Based on past experiences (and talking to past admittees on here and on campus) - the first acceptances are by telephone probably by next week.  As some accepted applicants turn Berkeley down (maybe after a few days of thinking time) there appears to be at least a small second round to fill spots that might get you to mid February.  All the rest of us are turned down rather unceremoniously by email essentially on the last day February (thanks for your application fee....).  Contacting the department about status is useless even if you have been in the no pile for weeks. My read is that if you don't hear by next friday - you should assume your chances are very low. 

Sorry to hear it didn't go your way last year. Hopefully, things are different this year! I was also pegging next Friday as the day after reading threads from past years. The wait has been so difficult.

31 minutes ago, nyalagyal said:

I saw someone posted that they got the call over the weekend…

Where did you see this? And they posted about it over the weekend or they received the call over the weekend? I am sus about someone getting a call over the weekend...

20 minutes ago, m123456 said:

Where did you see this? And they posted about it over the weekend or they received the call over the weekend? I am sus about someone getting a call over the weekend...

It’s in the results on this site. I don’t doubt it

2 hours ago, Nervienellie said:

Yeah. Im throwing in the towel on this year now. You gotta know when to walk away I guess. 

I wouldn't count yourself out just yet! The person implied with POI that it would be the professor they would work under, but past years it seems like the Associate Dean called all of the accepted applicants on the same day. I would be surprised if they would call everyone on a weekend date too. We never know until we see the result! You got this!

6 minutes ago, m123456 said:

I wouldn't count yourself out just yet! The person implied with POI that it would be the professor they would work under, but past years it seems like the Associate Dean called all of the accepted applicants on the same day. I would be surprised if they would call everyone on a weekend date too. We never know until we see the result! You got this!

I appreciate the optimism! I got rejected by three programs today, two of which I felt were really good fits. So it's been a rough day. I hope you're right on this. My other outstanding applications all felt like worse fits (from equally competitive programs) than the ones that rejected me---except JSP, which also feels like a strong fit. So this was the last bit of hope I was holding out. I'll hold on to it a bit longer.

3 minutes ago, jce8491 said:

I appreciate the optimism! I got rejected by three programs today, two of which I felt were really good fits. So it's been a rough day. I hope you're right on this. My other outstanding applications all felt like worse fits (from equally competitive programs) than the ones that rejected me---except JSP, which also feels like a strong fit. So this was the last bit of hope I was holding out. I'll hold on to it a bit longer.

I'm sending positive vibes your way!

42 minutes ago, m123456 said:

thanks! I hope im wrong and youre right! Either way we should all know definitively this week as more acceptances come in. 

I'll second the prior comment.  A call from the POI on the weekend (rather than associate dean during a weekday) seems odd and might account for the earlier than expected informal acceptance.   Looks like it might be a one-off so I'll stick with my prior view which is that this Friday seems to be the day you should schedule your disappointment.

On 2/7/2024 at 3:16 AM, LWitt said:

I'll second the prior comment.  A call from the POI on the weekend (rather than associate dean during a weekday) seems odd and might account for the earlier than expected informal acceptance.   Looks like it might be a one-off so I'll stick with my prior view which is that this Friday seems to be the day you should schedule your disappointment.

I hope so. It is alarming though that they havent sent out emails so far and its already thursday. I wonder if anyone else here has heard back since? Do they usually do interviews? 

4 minutes ago, Nervienellie said:

I hope so. It is alarming though that they havent sent out emails so far and its already thursday. I wonder if anyone else here has heard back since? Do they usually do interviews? 

they never do interviews; they always do phone calls to notify acceptance, and emails at the end of february to notify rejection. again - echoing what has been said earlier - tomorrow is probably the day to schedule your excitement/disappointment.

From past experience you don't want to receive an email - if you do you are out and you won't get that till end of February anyways.  Don't expect an interview.  Also it's not late yet - I'm pretty sure that acceptances will come today or Friday (and maybe a second round next week).  So too early to be alarmed.  Be alarmed tomorrow at 5:00 pm.