Berkeley JSP 2024

LWitt

The fact that no one has reported a call from the associate dean suggests all is not over (or maybe even officially started).  Also, last year someone reported an acceptance on Feb 16th (probably a second round filler).  So I think the following is a good analysis:  Friday is a good day to expect acceptances but it could go Ito next week. 

19 minutes ago, TransientSpoon said:

Claiming an acceptance! Got a phone call around noon PST and then an email from the professor who called immediately after. They said funding details along with more formal communication will follow sometime soon.

congrats! it's a truly unique program.

On 2/7/2024 at 3:16 AM, LWitt said:

I'll second the prior comment.  A call from the POI on the weekend (rather than associate dean during a weekday) seems odd and might account for the earlier than expected informal acceptance.   Looks like it might be a one-off so I'll stick with my prior view which is that this Friday seems to be the day you should schedule your disappointment.

thank you! Everyone on this thread is so nice! I hope we all get in!

5 minutes ago, barthestow said:

congrats! it's a truly unique program.

Thank you! :) Also for the folks in this thread talking about phone calls from the Associate Dean - just as a data point, the professor who called and emailed me was neither the Associate Dean nor one of the professors I mentioned in my SOP, so maybe more formal acceptances will come later. Good luck everyone!

Edited by TransientSpoon

4 minutes ago, TransientSpoon said:

Thank you! :) Also for the folks in this thread talking about phone calls from the Associate Dean - just as a data point, the professor who called and emailed me was neither the Associate Dean nor one of the professors I mentioned in my SOP, so maybe more formal acceptances will come later. Good luck everyone!

Congratulations! I'm happy for you and hoping the rest of us will hear back soon too! Did they say anything about when they would send out formal acceptances? or was it just- later?

4 minutes ago, Nervienellie said:

Congratulations! I'm happy for you and hoping the rest of us will hear back soon too! Did they say anything about when they would send out formal acceptances? or was it just- later?

Thanks! No specific information on when formal decision letters and other information like funding would come. They did also say that the Associate Dean would be in touch later for a more formal welcome to the program.

2 minutes ago, TransientSpoon said:

Thanks! No specific information on when formal decision letters and other information like funding would come. They did also say that the Associate Dean would be in touch later for a more formal welcome to the program.

thank you for shedding the light for those of us who are still kept in the dark! congrats again and hope you can have a nice celebration tonight!

1 hour ago, TransientSpoon said:

Claiming an acceptance! Got a phone call around noon PST and then an email from the professor who called immediately after. They said funding details along with more formal communication will follow sometime soon.

Congrats! I have no doubt it was well deserved.

Nothing on my end. Think I'm at the point of giving up hope. Best of luck to those who made it. It seems like a great program, and I'm very jealous. Looking like this year will be a bust for me, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing and see if I want to apply again in the future. I hope I'm wrong and that those of you who are still waiting get some good news!

I also received an acceptance yesterday around noon. I am assuming from the same person, the department chair. Same exact message as the earlier post. When I hear from the associate dean, I will update!

13 minutes ago, ym3237 said:

I also received an acceptance yesterday around noon. I am assuming from the same person, the department chair. Same exact message as the earlier post. When I hear from the associate dean, I will update!

congrats! i believe the Associate Dean and the chair are the same person - Dylan Penningroth? 

1 minute ago, m123456 said:

congrats! i believe the Associate Dean and the chair are the same person - Dylan Penningroth? 

Thank you! My bad, it was the chair of the admissions committee. I was told I'd receive a communication from Pennigroth later. 

6 minutes ago, ym3237 said:

Thank you! My bad, it was the chair of the admissions committee. I was told I'd receive a communication from Pennigroth later. 

Got it, thanks for clarifying! Just for clarity purposes, who is the chair of the admissions committee? And congrats again!

13 minutes ago, m123456 said:

Got it, thanks for clarifying! Just for clarity purposes, who is the chair of the admissions committee? And congrats again!

Chris Tomlins. I am assuming that he made the calls this year based on my experience matching the other acceptance exactly, but I have no actual idea. The acceptance over the weekend was strange too, so maybe just a weird year. 

16 minutes ago, Yuyu Jiang said:

Hi, has anyone received an email about the updated status of the application tonight?

Yep. Rejection in the portal. Expected after the calls went out last week. At least they moved quickly with the rejections. Might apply next year. Might just skip the PhD and go on the market without it. Will have a lot to think about over the next few months.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone got rejected who feels like they are extremely qualified for this program - I'd like to talk to you off line to discuss strategies and figure out what the issue is.  Working together might reveal a common application problem.  Please message me privately.

I have learned some things about the JSP application process that makes me very concerned.  Please contact me if you think that you should have been accepted. '

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 12:08 AM, LWitt said:

I have learned some things about the JSP application process that makes me very concerned.  Please contact me if you think that you should have been accepted. '

I think I had the background and credentials to be accepted, but I think I screwed up my statement of purpose. That said, I'd be interested in hearing what your concerns are. Very sorry to hear you did not get in either!

Edited by jce8491