Planning Admissions 2024

Hey!

I'm a Canadian applicant applying to urban planning masters programs in Canada for fall 2024. I'm excited about the application process unfolding. Curious to hear from other applicants about what schools you're applying to. I've applied/am applying to UBC, VIU, UofM and UofA.

@plannernik it is! I would definitely be interested in hearing your thoughts on the UofA masters program if you feel comfortable sharing. I'm aiming to work in local government rather than taking an academic track after graduation. 

Edited by Planning2Plan
Typo

@Planning2Plan sure - I would say no matter what school you decide on, you want to try to go to school where you hope to work after. the local communities in planning really network with the local planning schools - internships are key to building ins particularly in the public sector. I would say UofA is a good spot if you're looking at public sector. In the private sector, you need to have some broader skills like Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and GIS is heavily favoured. Private tends to do more of the production and public work - public engagement requires posters and materials to be produced. If you like that work more, and don't already have some graphic design or geospatial skills, UofC would be better (though I don't see that on your list). UBC is notoriously research focused and def. more of the academic route. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing lots of people post decisions for American planning programs. Congrats to everyone who got good news! Excited for you! 

I know it's still early for most Canadian schools but curious if anyone has recieved interview requests or decisions from any Canadian planning programs? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I also applied to the following Canadian Master's program: UBC, SFU, UofA, and Queens for planning. Has anyone heard from UBC yet? I saw last year that they started giving interview offers around this time. Just waiting anxiously is killing me rn :((

Edited by bonk

Welcome @bonk! Still radio silence from the schools I applied to. I was speaking with my friend who applied for planning programs in 2022 and he received his UBC interview invite first week of March. SFU was March 24 and UofT was early April for him – both acceptances and with funding, so he was likely part of the first round. Not sure about UofA but it seems like they've been fairly early (like, around now) in previous years. 

So, hopefully not much longer now! Hope everyone's staying sane out there 🤞

1 hour ago, Planning2Plan said:

The only school I have heard from thus far is University of Manitoba. Nothing from UBC, UofA or VIU.

Nice to see so many Canadian applicants on here! 

Did you get the offer from University of Manitoba? I have also applied to U of Manitoba, U of Calgary, VIU, TMU, UofT and U of Guelph but did not hear anything from them🥲

On 3/4/2024 at 2:34 PM, silas-haslam said:

Welcome @bonk! Still radio silence from the schools I applied to. I was speaking with my friend who applied for planning programs in 2022 and he received his UBC interview invite first week of March. SFU was March 24 and UofT was early April for him – both acceptances and with funding, so he was likely part of the first round. Not sure about UofA but it seems like they've been fairly early (like, around now) in previous years. 

So, hopefully not much longer now! Hope everyone's staying sane out there 🤞

ohh okay, that’s good to know! I think for SFU decisions deadlines could also depend on if someone applied for their Urban Studies program (which a few ppl have that I know) or the MRM program.

1 hour ago, plannymcplanface said:

Received an email this morning for a recorded video interview from UBC

Also received one earlier today!

Edited by bonk
Typo

19 hours ago, silas-haslam said:

Also got an interview invite from UBC! Just submitted my recordings. Good luck to everyone doing theirs in the coming days!

How did it go? Any curveballs?

No… just what you’d expect. I got “tell us about yourself” and “what is a trending global issue and how can planning address it”

One thing to note… it is only TWO official interview questions. I know the email says this, but at one point during the interview it mentions four questions because it counts the two mock interview questions. Kinda caught me off guard when the interview abruptly ended LOL

1 minute ago, Planning2Plan said:

@silas-haslam Appreciate you sharing your experience!

I noticed in the email it originally talked about 4 questions and then later mentioned five. I suspect they only partially updated the email from previous years. Given the confusing messaging definitely helpful to hear your experience. 

Oh I just noticed that… ha! Yea, the impersonal format and only two interview questions was really odd, I will say. I was pretty nervous for the first one but warmed up for the second, then it was over.

I suspect the real test is to see how we do under pressure hahaha

21 hours ago, silas-haslam said:

Oh I just noticed that… ha! Yea, the impersonal format and only two interview questions was really odd, I will say. I was pretty nervous for the first one but warmed up for the second, then it was over.

I suspect the real test is to see how we do under pressure hahaha

the amount of 'umms' and 'uh' in my interview response made me cringe :<, can only pray that they don't look at this section to heavily. It's like all my interview skills went out the window lol. 3 minutes also felt like a longer time than needed for the questions, but that might've just been me

Edited by bonk
typo