Planning Admissions 2024

1 minute ago, bonk said:

the amount of 'umms' and 'uh' in my interview response made me cringe :<, can only pray that they don't look at this section to heavily. It's like all my interview skills went out the window lol. 3 minutes also felt ;ike a longer time than needed for the questions, but that might've just been me

Omg LOL we had the exact same experience. I was actually stoked for the interview until I found out it was recorded… I’m usually pretty good face-to-face. 

I don’t think I’ve ever been so awkward as I was with the “tell us about yourself”… I basically just ran through what I said on my statement in 30 seconds then said a bunch of nonsense to fill the silence hahaha. I had an OK response for the current issue but I wanted to mention an article I read recently to show I was engaged with the subject matter, and I think i did it in a really forced way… I also only used like 2 mins per answer haha.

That said I’m sure we did better than we think! Hopefully they don’t take too long to get back to us

14 minutes ago, silas-haslam said:

Omg LOL we had the exact same experience. I was actually stoked for the interview until I found out it was recorded… I’m usually pretty good face-to-face. 

I don’t think I’ve ever been so awkward as I was with the “tell us about yourself”… I basically just ran through what I said on my statement in 30 seconds then said a bunch of nonsense to fill the silence hahaha. I had an OK response for the current issue but I wanted to mention an article I read recently to show I was engaged with the subject matter, and I think i did it in a really forced way… I also only used like 2 mins per answer haha.

That said I’m sure we did better than we think! Hopefully they don’t take too long to get back to us

yea something about watching myself talk totally threw me off, "tell us about yourself" also felt so unnecessarily awkward ... Overall, though I agree that being concise is better than trying to say something just for the sake of time and hopefully you're right about it being better than we think! From what I can tell from last years admissions cycle is that they get back to us near the end of the month so maybe 1.5 weeks?

okay wow i'm so glad i'm not the only person who didn't realize there were only two questions and also screwed up the first question for the UBC interview hahaha

Glad a lot of us are in the same boat, yeah, hopefully it isn't as bad as we think! best of luck to everyone! :)

Edited by SoggyWaffles

Just did mine for UBC! Hopefully everything saved, for the first question I ran out of time but it did say my recording was submitted. The second question I hit stop and save. I wonder if the questions are different for ICP since I got sent two different emails with one attempt. Good luck everyone!

26 minutes ago, TomatoesonToast said:

Just did mine for UBC! Hopefully everything saved, for the first question I ran out of time but it did say my recording was submitted. The second question I hit stop and save. I wonder if the questions are different for ICP since I got sent two different emails with one attempt. Good luck everyone!

did you also get "tell us about yourself" and "talk about a world trending problem and how it's related to planning" as well? 

I got "tell us about yourself" and something similar to the world trending problem question others have described but worded slightly differently.

Thanks to everyone who was generous enough to share their experiences. It was very helpful. 

Excited to hear about everyone's acceptances find out where everyone decides to go! 😁

55 minutes ago, Planning2Plan said:

Congratulations @silas-haslam

Me too! I figured since it said nothing about funding there probably is none for me. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? 

Congrats to you too! Really happy to get a yes from anywhere as I've been out of school for a while and this is my first time applying for a masters.

I checked the Student Record portal just to be sure but doesn't look like there's any funding offers. Their internal awards for grad students seem to mostly revolve around conferences.

Does anyone know much about the different scholarships available to planning students? Federal/provincial programs? I know professional schools typically don't give out as much so will need to start exploring my options now that I have an offer on the table...

Congrats on your acceptance! 🥳

I'd definitely shoot an email to the VIU registration people. They'd know best!

I know Ontario has the OGS, BC's equivalent isn't as straight-forward but there's some info on the VIU website: https://research.viu.ca/british-columbia-graduate-scholarship

I've also met some alumni who worked as TA's or RA's throughout their time there: https://socialsciences.viu.ca/mcp/employment-opportunities

If you do find any more, please share!

On 3/22/2024 at 3:30 PM, urbanistar said:

Hey everyone! 🙂 Has anyone heard back from UBC’s MCRP program? 

Still waiting here too 😃 

I'm hoping to hear back in the very near future because I only have until the 4th to accept VIU. Also waiting on UofA and UofT, but I'm a lot less likely to go with either of those without considerable funding as I live in B.C.