Directing MFA 2024

slayvis

Hi y’all! Weathering the long wait to hear back from MFA in Directing programs for next fall and didn’t see a forum for this year. Still waiting to hear about an interview from Northwestern myself. Where else are people applying/how’s the news been so far!?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I don't know if you've heard anything, but here is what I have so far:

Yale: First interview, then rejected
UCLA: First Interview 
Columbia: Callback in NYC
Boston: First Interview
Northwestern: Rejected

Still waiting on: CalArts, CMU, UT Austin, and UCSD

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! I haven't seen a 2024 Directing MFA thread yet. It's pretty late, I know, most people probably have some sense of where they're looking at, but I thought it might be nice to hear what other people's journeys look like. Best wishes to everyone!

My path is a bit strange. I am already at a program now and am having a downright miserable time. It's only been my first year, and no school is perfect, but I really think it's because this program is just so bad. A disrespectful department chair and unqualified head of program make for a rough time, but I don't want to give up on what I love. Applied to Indiana University, University of Memphis, and Brooklyn College. Not sure if anyone has heard of these programs, or has any experience with them, or just wants to share where they've applied and what's going on- would love to hear! 

Anywho, good luck to everyone!

Hi Hlayton! 

It has been pretty dead on the forums this year (I see at least 2 other dead threads on MFA directing). 

Here is what I have so far:

Yale: First interview, then rejected
UCLA: First Interview, Called back to finalist weekend
Columbia: Callback in NYC
Boston: First Interview
Northwestern: Rejected

Still waiting on, but it's not looking good: CalArts, CMU, UT Austin, and UCSD.

I am really curious about your experience at your current school...selfishly, especially if they are on my list. Maybe we can find a way to DM?

HI Eccyclema, congrats on the interviews!! I hope you've got some really good news coming your way : ) I applied to columbia, yale, ucsd, and calarts last year and didn't get an interview anywhere. Just how it goes sometimes. I can tell you pretty confidently my current school is nowhere close to being on your list, and probably anyone's list, although I'd still love to chat!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Has anyone received any recent updates from schools? I did the final round for Columbia and Sarah Lawrence a few weeks ago. I'm waiting to hear back about the finalists for Penn State and traveling to Indiana next week. This process is so anxiety-inducing! How are you all doing?

Hey (again)! 

I also did the finalist round at Columbia. I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm a finalist at UCLA and Boston too. That's all I've heard so far, apart from what I've already reported. I hear you on anxiety, this has completely taken over my brain and life.

Break a leg in Indiana!

Hi! If this helps anyone-the FAFSFA is delayed until Mid-March so many people I know are not hearing from schools that sent out acceptances (and rejections) earlier previous years- especially if the school you’re applying to uses FAFSFA for funding, MFAs especially want to send out an offer with the acceptance and they can’t until they get the FAFSFA info-what a year to apply 🫠

That's really interesting! It doesn't sound like it's holding up initial interviews though? I'm really curious if anyone has heard from UT or UCSD. 

19 minutes ago, chicagodirector said:

Got an acceptance from Brooklyn yesterday, waiting on Penn State--haven't heard anything from them since the second interview two weeks ago. @theatreartist31are you in the same boat, no updates since the second interview?

Congratulations on Brooklyn! Yes, I'm with you re: Penn State. No updates since my second interview two weeks ago. 

7 hours ago, Evelynda said:

Is this actually true?

Had a callback at Yale three weeks ago today and haven't heard anything back from them (rejection or acceptance). They also use FAFSA

I got an email from FAFSA saying my forms’ processing was delayed until March. I think some schools are sending acceptances without the full aid package info, but it depends on the school, where the program’s funding comes from, and if they want to send you both at the same time.