Yale Terminal MA in Archaeological Studies

I just got accepted to the MA program at Yale because I am switching disciplines from undergrad and eventually want a PhD. There are a few profs from Yale who I've made good contact with who I can mingle with during my time in the MA program before applying to the PhD program. My only concern is that the MA Archaeological Studies is a "pay and you get in" type situation, although they take like 6-10 MA students a year who complete a research thesis and take classes with PhD students. Is it worth it? Any insights? 

Generally you don't want to have to take loans and pay for your graduate degree out of pocket. Also, a lot of times in anthropology having an MA doesn't actually save you that much time and you end up having to repeat portions of it when you do your PhD. There are definelty some masters programs out there with some capacity of funding. If your discipline switch is holding you back I'd look into something like that as opposed to having to pay fully out of pocket for Yale.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:56 PM, ocular.espresso said:

Generally you don't want to have to take loans and pay for your graduate degree out of pocket. Also, a lot of times in anthropology having an MA doesn't actually save you that much time and you end up having to repeat portions of it when you do your PhD. There are definelty some masters programs out there with some capacity of funding. If your discipline switch is holding you back I'd look into something like that as opposed to having to pay fully out of pocket for Yale.

Many art history departments also offer advanced standing only to graduates of two-year MA programs, allowing you to count your MA coursework towards one year of coursework in the PhD track.