Duke Div. School's Th.D. applicants this year?

theoedu

• 2 weeks later...

Me too. It was terse, given the amount of time and energy spent applying. On the other hand... what more could be said?

Just got my Duke ThD rejection letter today in the mailbox, dated Feb 4, 2011

• 2 weeks later...

I'm told that they only accepted 6 new students for 2011. It gets more competitive every year....

In a program with a Duke grad, and his word is that they accept one applicant every other year. (PhD on the other years). Applying for both ThD & PhD = rejection.

Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but I have little reason to doubt his gnosis.

In a program with a Duke grad, and his word is that they accept one applicant every other year. (PhD on the other years). Applying for both ThD & PhD = rejection.

As I understood it, Duke Divinity School accepts about 6 students per year to the ThD, but Duke University Religion Department accepts only 1 applicant per year to the Theology program of the PhD in the Religion department. (I think they accept 5-6 students overall in the Religion department, but one in each focus area: Judaism, Christianity/Theology, etc.)

Although, is this true that if you apply to both the Divinity ThD and the Religion department PhD it's an auto-rejection? That's psycho, I would've definitely applied to both before I heard that. Do I understand you correctly, Postbib Yeshuist?

As I understood it, Duke Divinity School accepts about 6 students per year to the ThD, but Duke University Religion Department accepts only 1 applicant per year to the Theology program of the PhD in the Religion department. (I think they accept 5-6 students overall in the Religion department, but one in each focus area: Judaism, Christianity/Theology, etc.)

Although, is this true that if you apply to both the Divinity ThD and the Religion department PhD it's an auto-rejection? That's psycho, I would've definitely applied to both before I heard that. Do I understand you correctly, Postbib Yeshuist?

No, that used to be frowned upon (applying to both programs), but that's no longer the case. I applied to both programs and was accepted to the ThD to do Theology and Ethics (but did get the ol' reject letter from the PhD).

Hope that's helpful.

Edited by scdude

No, that used to be frowned upon (applying to both programs), but that's no longer the case. I applied to both programs and was accepted to the ThD to do Theology and Ethics (but did get the ol' reject letter from the PhD).

That's tremendously helpful, thanks for clarifying with up-to-date info!! :D