Application Thread Fall 2025

hi all. i decided to take things into my own hands while i am bored at work and create this thread even if it is a bit early. 

i am applying to phd programs straight from undergrad (i know i know. whatever you have to say to me, i guarantee i have already heard it.) my research interests are in southern american art history and material culture. trying to write my statement of purpose and going insane 🙆‍♀️

interested to hear how other people are getting along this early in the process!

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys. even if no one is posting yet,  i thought i would post an update so far just for fun. I just finished writing my last statement of purpose, and I just added all of my recommenders into the application portals. the process of editing begins! i have spoken with the DGS of several programs, pois have mostly responded, and am going to in-person visit days for a few others. i feel really good about the schools!

I have edited my list down to eight schools. I am struggling to decide whether to strategically apply to mas at the programs with both ma and phd programs–that have a chance of funding, of course–or to just go straight for the phd. i can't tell if my chances as a ba student are so bad that i shouldn't even try, or if I should go for it, and then maybe get thrown into the ma app piles if rejected. its tough! 

Edited by sleepymaterialculturelover