heartintheclouds Posted November 27, 2024 Posted November 27, 2024 I'm starting to apply to poli sci PHD programs. I still have so many questions to ask and blanks to fill, but I'm starting to compile a reasonable list of programs I want to apply to so I can be motivated while I'm studying for the GRE and writing my statements. At the moment I am eyeing NYU, Columbia, Princton, Stanford, Chicago, UCSD, etc., but I have no idea as to whether these schools are way too much of a reach for me. Any opinons are helpful! And please let me know if I'm being too vague so I an clarify: UG Degree: International Politics with a minor in Data Science at Top 20-30 school UG GPA: 3.7, Cum Laude, with grades improving each semester Grad Degree: Applied Data Science at an Ivy League - Also took 2 classes within the political science department Graduate GPA: 4.0 GRE: Haven't taken it yet. I've been studying for a month and got 315 on a practice test a while back. Aiming for a 325 though, and won't take anything less than a 320 Teaching Experience: TA for a graduate class that I took in my graduate year Research Experience: - Was an RA for a semester for a professor outside of the US who focused on IPE, elections, etc. - No publications but did write a thesis during my graduate career related to political science Programming Experience: R, Python, Java, Stata, SQL Job experience: - Was an interning RA for a small think tank relating to international security - Summer intern for one of the government departments, mostly related to qualitative research/auditing - Currently a political data scientist at one of the largest political tech/consulting companies. Recently got promoted LORs: A solid LOR from a professor that I did research for, one of my graduate professors that I took several classes with, and my boss at my current. Research Interests: Currently interested in (I)PE, methods, and CP.
JPYSD Posted November 28, 2024 Posted November 28, 2024 Maybe besides your undergrad GPA (which should look much better with your quant grad degree), you have stellar credentials and definitely have a shot at all of those programs, if you can make sure to put your quant experience to good use and write a really good SOP that proves a great fit with the department. I am at one of the programs you have listed above, so feel free to DM if you have any questions 🙂
Laboni765 Posted August 8 Posted August 8 Your profile looks competitive, especially for top 20 programs, and I think you have a realistic chance at some top 10 schools as well. Your strongest points are: A 4.0 master's in Applied Data Science. Strong quantitative skills with R, Python, Stata, and SQL. Research experience, including a thesis. Professional experience as a political data scientist. Research interests that align with quantitative political science and political economy. I would spend extra time tailoring each application to the department. Admissions committees want to see that your research interests closely match the faculty you hope to work with, and that your statement of purpose explains those connections clearly. I would also keep a balanced application list by including highly competitive programs alongside several strong alternatives. PhD admissions are often unpredictable, so applying to a range of programs usually improves your overall chances. Strong recommendation letters, a well-written statement of purpose, and a solid writing sample can make a meaningful difference.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now