Choosing the right POI equivalent to match.com?

green8715

I really hope I'm not the only one who has had this thought run through their mind, but we're approaching/have begun interview season. I know I have been in contact with my POI's throughout my application process (just hoping it'll make them spend 30 seconds more reviewing my app). But because of this I have grown to like and respect the POI's I have been in contact with and am excited to meet them for recruitment/interview days.

Does anyone else feel like telling the ones you DON'T choose that it's like letting down someone who asked you out?

Yes, I am really interested in your program and I think you as a person are totally awesome...but, so-and-so is slightly more awesome and I'd rather spend the next 5 years with them.

I'm sorry if I led you on...but we can still be friends.

Edited by green8715

That's pretty funny. Yeah, in many ways the process of applying to grad school is like dating. First we try to woo them and then after we get admitted (fingers crossed) they try to woo us back.

• 2 weeks later...

And writing the SOP is kind of like making conversation on a first date. You don't want to spill your guts on all your deep issues and insecurities, and depending on who you are on the date with, you tailor what you say to them. The goal is to get a second date, after all!