Graphics

Amogh

I have finally decided that i am interested in graphics and would like to work in the field.

I looked around the forum for a list of universities where there is a lot of work going on in this field but cldn't find anything of the sort.

So why don't we put down a list for future reference here of interesting places where good work is going on in graphics.

Or if you guys know of any external links where such a list already exists, do post the link.

Btw, i'm interested in rendering side of things. i will be taking my first course in cg this semester. I realised i am interested in cg while i did some preliminary reading of the text for the course. Could you guys also list the conferences and journals in the field so that i can browse them for interesting papers? I only know of siggraph and ieee-tvcg. (i am relying on the web for everything as my university isnt a research university(those barely exist in india other than the iits)).

What are you interested in? Working on something?

well pertaining to the topic:

Rank 1:

I3DG: ACM-SIGRAPH Interactive 3D Graphics

SIGGRAPH: ACM SIGGRAPH Conference

ACM-MM: ACM Multimedia Conference

DCC: Data Compression Conf

SIGMETRICS: ACM Conf on Meas. & Modelling of Comp Sys

SIGIR: ACM SIGIR Conf on Information Retrieval

PECCS: IFIP Intl Conf on Perf Eval of Comp \& Comm Sys

WWW: World-Wide Web Conference

Rank 2:

IEEE Visualization

EUROGRAPH: European Graphics Conference

CGI: Computer Graphics International

CANIM: Computer Animation

PG: Pacific Graphics

ICME: Intl Conf on MMedia & Expo

NOSSDAV: Network and OS Support for Digital A/V

PADS: ACM/IEEE/SCS Workshop on Parallel \& Dist Simulation

WSC: Winter Simulation Conference

ASS: IEEE Annual Simulation Symposium

MASCOTS: Symp Model Analysis \& Sim of Comp \& Telecom Sys

PT: Perf Tools - Intl Conf on Model Tech \& Tools for CPE

NetStore: Network Storage Symposium

MMCN: ACM/SPIE Multimedia Computing and Networking

JCDL: Joint Conference on Digital Libraries

Rank 3:

ACM-HPC: ACM Hypertext Conf

MMM: Multimedia Modelling

DSS: Distributed Simulation Symposium

SCSC: Summer Computer Simulation Conference

WCSS: World Congress on Systems Simulation

ESS: European Simulation Symposium

ESM: European Simulation Multiconference

HPCN: High-Performance Computing and Networking

Geometry Modeling and Processing

WISE

DS-RT: Distributed Simulation and Real-time Applications

IEEE Intl Wshop on Dist Int Simul and Real-Time Applications

ECIR: European Colloquium on Information Retrieval

Ed-Media

IMSA: Intl Conf on Internet and MMedia Sys

Un-ranked:

DVAT: IS\&T/SPIE Conf on Dig Video Compression Alg \& Tech

MME: IEEE Intl Conf. on Multimedia in Education

ICMSO: Intl Conf on Modelling, Simulation and Optimisation

ICMS: IASTED Intl Conf on Modelling and Simulation

COTIM: Conference on Telecommunications and Information Markets

DOA: International Symposium on Distributed Objects and Applications

ECMAST: European Conference on Multimedia Applications, Services and Techniques

GIS: Workshop on Advances in Geographic Information Systems

IDA: Intelligent Data Analysis

IDMS: Interactive Distributed Multimedia Systems and Telecommunication Services

IUI: Intelligent User Interfaces

MIS: Workshop on Multimedia Information Systems

WECWIS: Workshop on Advanced Issues of E-Commerce and Web/based Information Systems

WIDM: Web Information and Data Management

WOWMOM: Workshop on Wireless Mobile Multimedia

WSCG: International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics and Visualization

LDTA: Workshop on Language Descriptions, Tools and Applications

IPDPSWPIM: International Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Computing Issues in Wireless Networks and Mobile Computing

IWST: International Workshop on Scheduling and Telecommunications

APDCM: Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models

CIMA: International ICSC Congress on Computational Intelligence: Methods and Applications

FLA: Fuzzy Logic and Applications Meeting

ICACSD: International Conference on Application of Concurrency to System Design

ICATPN: International conference on application and theory of Petri nets

AICCSA: ACS International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications

CAGD: International Symposium of Computer Aided Geometric Design

Spanish Symposium on Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis

International Workshop on Cluster Infrastructure for Web Server and E-Commerce Applications

WSES ISA: Information Science And Applications Conference

CHT: International Symposium on Advances in Computational Heat Transfer

IMACS: International Conference on Applications of Computer Algebra

VIPromCom: International Symposium on Video Processing and Multimedia Communications

PDMPR: International Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Multimedia Processing & Retrieval

International Symposium On Computational And Applied Pdes

PDCAT: International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Applications, and Techniques

Biennial Computational Techniques and Applications Conference

Symposium on Advanced Computing in Financial Markets

WCCE: World Conference on Computers in Education

ITCOM: SPIE's International Symposium on The Convergence of Information Technologies and Communications

Conference on Commercial Applications for High-Performance Computing

MSA: Metacomputing Systems and Applications Workshop

WPMC : International Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications

WSC: Online World Conference on Soft Computing in Industrial Applications

HERCMA: Hellenic European Research on Computer Mathematics and its Applications

PARA: Workshop on Applied Parallel Computing

International Computer Science Conference: Active Media Technology

IW-MMDBMS - Int. Workshop on Multi-Media Data Base Management Systems

As for other fields plz refer the link below

http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/assourav/crank.htm

I'd be interested in this too. I have applied to a bunch of schools, but got accepted into Clemson and University of Virginia, and (maybe) Virginia Tech (I'm going to the graduate preview weekend, no actual news on admission yet) and Washington University in St. Louis (second rounds of interviews this week, if that means anything). I am interested in computer graphics and, although there are other factors to consider, was wondering how the schools would rank in terms of their computer graphics research... I haven't received any money offers yet apart from Clemson, but UVa told me to expect my aid package in the mail soon (not in an email...). I know the general ranking of PhD programs in CS, but I was wondering if the Graphics specialization should make any difference?

I went to SIGGRAPH this summer, and Clemson recently hired Dr. Jerry Tessendorf, who has done a lot of work on volumetric rendering, fluid simulation, etc. They also have Dr. Donald House, who is considered the father of cloth simulation.

I found out about Clemson & TAM because they both have masters programs graphics/visualization that are more geared towards production and simulation for CG studios.

clemson and tam are that good?

I'm applying to a Masters in Graphics, and from my research these are the schools that have interesting things going on. Note, not all these places offer a Masters degree. Also, the list is in no particular order

CMU

Stanford

MIT

UC Berkeley

Brown University

University of Virginia

University of Utah

Georgia Tech

UW Madison (more into Geometry related stuff from what I can see)

Columbia

UPenn

UNC Chapel Hill

Cornell University

UCLA

USC

Harvard (couple of guys there)

University of Washington

in Europe, the ones I've found are:

ETH Zurich

Saarland University (for PhD in the Max Planck Research Institute)

hey tesla, did you go as a student volunteer? i want to apply but i'm finding it very very difficult to write those essays! lol.. and what journals are you looking at?

@wayfaerer: nice.. thx..

I didn't go as a volunteer, but some of my friends did... it's a big plus if you know any languages in addition to English. That and I think they want to know that you're good working with other people, so be sure to mention group projects or something like that.

hey tesla, did you go as a student volunteer? i want to apply but i'm finding it very very difficult to write those essays! lol.. and what journals are you looking at?

@wayfaerer: nice.. thx..

• 1 month later...

I didn't go as a volunteer, but some of my friends did... it's a big plus if you know any languages in addition to English. That and I think they want to know that you're good working with other people, so be sure to mention group projects or something like that.

I know this is a pretty buried topic but i thought i should refresh it because there is so much discussion going on on the NLP thread. Hoping someone can add to the conversation here :D.

Right now I am interested in GPU-based global illumination techniques. I just got accepted at UNC-Chapel Hill, so I hope to keep studying it there (assuming I can get this whole funding thing figured out...:P).

If you are interested, you can find some of my early ray-tracing code (written in C# and OpenCL) here on GitHub. It is a bit rough around the edges (and everywhere else, really), because I was trying to learn OpenCL at the same time.

Right now I am interested in GPU-based global illumination techniques. I just got accepted at UNC-Chapel Hill, so I hope to keep studying it there (assuming I can get this whole funding thing figured out...:P).

If you are interested, you can find some of my early ray-tracing code (written in C# and OpenCL) here on GitHub. It is a bit rough around the edges (and everywhere else, really), because I was trying to learn OpenCL at the same time.

Sure, I think i will. By the way could you pm me your profile? i want to see what it takes to get into unc-ch. I come from an unknown school and everything so thinking of what to do!

Sure, I think i will. By the way could you pm me your profile? i want to see what it takes to get into unc-ch. I come from an unknown school and everything so thinking of what to do!

PM sent.

I would have just posted a link to my C.V., but I haven't gotten around to posting it online yet. Ah, procrastination...:D

PM sent.

I would have just posted a link to my C.V., but I haven't gotten around to posting it online yet. Ah, procrastination...:D

Piled Higher and Deeper :D(phdcomics)

In addition to the ones named above some that came up in my web skimming are:

Stony Brook University

UC Davis

Anyone else notice how thin the line between computer science and engineering is when looking at graphics programs? Which has made me take up the habit of looking in both departments.

In addition to the ones named above some that came up in my web skimming are:

Stony Brook University

UC Davis

Anyone else notice how thin the line between computer science and engineering is when looking at graphics programs? Which has made me take up the habit of looking in both departments.

Exactly. And actually, the thinness is justified because well graphics depends on both hardware and mathematical research right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just discovered this: http://academic.rese...tart=1&end=100. (I hope the link is not session based)

It's a ranking of institutions based on publications in Graphics. It is not necessarily accurate, but you can make it more accurate y adjusting years etc. I wish I saw it earlier, but oh well!

Actually this ranking is even better: http://academic.research.microsoft.com/RankList?entitytype=7&domainID=10&last=5&start=1&end=100&continentID=2

Edited by adinutzyc