Interviews - Berkeley and the others

newmanhattan

Yes :)

The faculty I was in contact with wanted me to keep him posted about how my application to Part III at Cambridge was going.

I told him I would but I doubt I will hear anything from them this week.

Hope everything goes better than expected!

Edited by Lanchka

Yes :)

Nice! Seems you have good reason to be optimistic.

Did the Prof. say whether the admissions committee had met yet this week? My impression (as of late last week) was that they were to have one more meeting before things are decided.

Nice! Seems you have good reason to be optimistic.

Did the Prof. say whether the admissions committee had met yet this week? My impression (as of late last week) was that they were to have one more meeting before things are decided.

Firstly, congrats on your MIT admit! And to answer your question, not really.

The conversation was a very short one and he asked exactly two questions.

One was about my plans of deferring and the other was about how keen I

was on Berkeley. He never told me anything about the admission committee

or its schedule.

Firstly, congrats on your MIT admit! And to answer your question, not really.

The conversation was a very short one and he asked exactly two questions.

One was about my plans of deferring and the other was about how keen I

was on Berkeley. He never told me anything about the admission committee

or its schedule.

Thanks for the info (and sorry if I came off as grilling you).

Hopefully a bunch of us will hear from Berkeley pretty soon.

Edited by Azazel

Thanks for the info (and sorry if I came off as grilling you).

Hopefully a bunch of us will hear from Berkeley pretty soon.

Hehe, no need to apologize. You came off as doing no such thing :)

I do hope we hear from them soon.

@my follow rejected Berkeley applicants

i contacted my PoI for the reason of the reject, and he answered as follows

You were found to be an applicant with a lot of potential but perhaps you need some more

research and English-writing experience to become qualified for our

program. I recommend that you seek a research internship in Europe or

US; this would greatly help your preparation.

hope this helps somebody

• 2 weeks later...

Do all those who get acceptance from Berkeley (PhD CS) get interview calls frst? Are there people who got in directly without any interviews and if so are there significant number of such people?

Also, whats the ratio either way?

This year, we faculty were instructed that we must interview everyone we admit. This is a change from last year's policy. The new policy is very likely to continue into the future.

Jonathan Shewchuk

Associate Professor

CS Division

UC Berkeley

This year, we faculty were instructed that we must interview everyone we admit. This is a change from last year's policy. The new policy is very likely to continue into the future.

Jonathan Shewchuk

Associate Professor

CS Division

UC Berkeley

Darn =/ Guess I can safely say I'm out of the running. Looks like California is not my biggest fan.

Jonathan Shewchuk

Associate Professor

CS Division

UC Berkeley

Thanks for sharing this piece of information. Does this apply to EE as well or is it just CS?

I hope Professor Shewchuk do not reply to question about EE.

And please, Engineering people, you have your own forums, please refrain from posting non-CS-related content here.

Some of you have grown up, and I am sure many of us here are having difficult time waiting for results.

It's quite obnoxious going here bragging about your Engineering interviews, admits, or whatever you get.

Most of us are just too polite to say anything, so it doesn't mean we are not annoyed.. so please!!

Your posting will be much more appreciated in the Engineering forums.

I personally have no problem seeing people being so proud about their achievement in CS here, they have earned the right to do that.

But please, put it in the right place.

Thanks!

And please, Engineering people, you have your own forums, please refrain from posting non-CS-related content here.

Some of you have grown up, and I am sure many of us here are having difficult time waiting for results.

It's quite obnoxious going here bragging about your Engineering interviews, admits, or whatever you get.

Most of us are just too polite to say anything, so it doesn't mean we are not annoyed.. so please!!

I personally have no problem seeing people being so proud about their achievement in CS here, they have earned the right to do that.

Thanks!

You have either completely misunderstood the concept of online forums or suffer from a severe case of inferiority complex towards engineering majors. In any case, I believe gradcafe is a moderated forum and it is up to the moderators to warn users about irrelevant posts not a Decaf. So please, keep your thoughts and problems to yourself and handle your torturous waiting like a grown-up.

I started the forum below on Berkeley EECS in Engineering section so CS-majors waiting on admission do not get "agitated" by EE posts. We would be pleased if Professor Shewchuk could comment on the question concerning Berkeley interviews for EE admission where he sees fit. Thanks again for your help and advice Professor Shewchuk.

Thanks!

Chill out man. EE & CS are like brother and sister! Notice how these departments co-exist (happily I hope :-)) as EECS in many of the top schools (ie MIT, UC Berkeley, etc)? I would be mad too if it was a History major asking his question here, but its just EE.

Chill out man. EE & CS are like brother and sister! Notice how these departments co-exist (happily I hope :-)) as EECS in many of the top schools (ie MIT, UC Berkeley, etc)? I would be mad too if it was a History major asking his question here, but its just EE.

Agree!!!! That guy needs to chill out.

On a separate note, my interview from Berkeley was pretty easy and I was asked mainly questions about my background (ie internship expierence, interests). Nevertheless, some friends were asked technical questions so just watch out.

Agree!!!! That guy needs to chill out.

On a separate note, my interview from Berkeley was pretty easy and I was asked mainly questions about my background (ie internship expierence, interests). Nevertheless, some friends were asked technical questions so just watch out.