Interviews - Berkeley and the others

newmanhattan

I know of all cases - people who got in without interviews, people who had multiple interviews and then got rejected, and people who got in after one or more interviews.

Do you have any figues on that? i.e. which type was the greatest in number?

My question stems from the fact that I have nt heard from them as yet when many others have got interview calls and so I am trying to estimate whether this means a reject probably.

Do you have any figues on that? i.e. which type was the greatest in number?

My question stems from the fact that I have nt heard from them as yet when many others have got interview calls and so I am trying to estimate whether this means a reject probably.

These numbers are from people whom I know who have applied to Berkeley in the past years, so they are in no way indicative of any trends.

Not interviewed & admitted: 3

Not interviewed & rejected: 2

Interviewed multiple times & rejected: 4

Interviewed multiple times & accepted: 3

As you see, the sample size is too low to make any conclusions. I'm leaning more towards a reject for myself.

I know four people from hereabouts who got admits from Berkeley

to study theory. Two of them had no interviews. The other two

had one phone call each. [i say phone call and not interview since

they both said they were not really questioned about anything technical.]

Amongst the people who did not get admits, I do not know of anyone

who got an interview call.

There don't seem to be any noticeable trends here. Again, my sample

set is really small.

My call is scheduled to happen some time in the next few days. I'll try

to glean some information if the chance arises.

By interview, I also meant chit-chat about your past and present research :) I don't know of anyone who got grilled with technical stuff.

If that's the case, I'm surprised that there were people who got interviewed and rejected.

On what grounds do they make a decision at that point?

Edited by Lanchka

If that's the case, I'm surprised that there were people who got interviewed and rejected.

On what grounds do they make a decision at that point?

Even pleasant and informal conversations can reveal things about an applicant.

For instance, you might reveal how cogent you are in discussing your research interests, or how likely it seems that you will attend a school if accepted. The voice medium also better allows for other, more subjective, judgements concerning one's apparent attitude, degree of passion, and general character.

I have no idea how important any of these things are, but I suspect that professors are looking for students who are able to present themselves well. Talking informally about your research interests is one way for them to get a sense of that ability.

These numbers are from people whom I know who have applied to Berkeley in the past years, so they are in no way indicative of any trends.

Not interviewed & admitted: 3

Not interviewed & rejected: 2

Interviewed multiple times & rejected: 4

Interviewed multiple times & accepted: 3

As you see, the sample size is too low to make any conclusions. I'm leaning more towards a reject for myself.

So everyone had either multiple interviews or none at all? No single interviews?

Cool! :)

How did the interview go?

I'm not really sure huh.gif

We talked mostly about what I planned to do in the future and

about why I was considering studying math for a year before

starting grad school. We also talked about why I wanted to do

research and what my interests were and that kind of stuff.

I'm not sure how I came off given that I am a bit undecided about

exactly what sub-field within theory I want to work in.

Otherwise, we spoke about the current work that is happening

there and their prospective lines of research and that was pretty

enlightening.

Anyways, I'll find out soon enough :)

I just got off the phone with someone from Berkeley and he led me to believe that admits would arrive around the 10th of February.

Nice, thanks for sharing. That fits in with the timetable I've heard mentioned, although my interviewer wasn't so specific.

Mm, I guess the fact that I haven't had a scheduled interview is ominous news for me, then. :\

Don't know if it's necessarily ominous. There has been instances where people have been admitted without being interviewed. Best of luck :)

If they follow last year's pattern, I guess the admit emails will be sent out in a day or two. All the best to everyone waiting to hear back from UC Berkeley!

Having spoken with another Berkeley Prof. (2nd interview), I can confirm that the 10th looks highly probable for results.

Having spoken with another Berkeley Prof. (2nd interview), I can confirm that the 10th looks highly probable for results.

Azazel, you had interviews with 2 professors? How did it go? Did they know that you are being interviewed by the other?

Azazel, you had interviews with 2 professors? How did it go? Did they know that you are being interviewed by the other?

Went quite well. Both conversations were pleasant and reasonably informal.

Both professors asked about my research interests, what I am interested in working on, etc.

My impression was that neither interviewer knew about the other.

Edited by Azazel

Went quite well. Both conversations were pleasant and reasonably informal.

Both professors asked about my research interests, what I am interested in working on, etc.

My impression was that neither interviewer knew about the other.

Thanks for the info! Best of luck to you!

Guys, how long did your interview lasted? Mine was something about hour. I'm curious was it too long or too short in comparison with others.

The info I gathered from some of the people who got calls was that it lasts anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour.