lys Posted December 29, 2025 Posted December 29, 2025 Hi everyone! I'll be applying to MFA programs for fall of 2027, looking for advice on how best to make use of the time before my application. I'm a 3rd year undergrad. My GPA is 3.97/4.0 majoring in honours philosophy, and I am adding a 2-year BFA starting next fall, so I'll finish my degree in five years (I'll be 23). I've published in 11 literary journals so far (poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction), some regional, some MFA-student-run. My strongest genre is CNF, where I'm currently enjoying writing continental philosophy informed lyric essay. In general I am interested in hybrid philosophical-creative work. People whose work I've enjoyed: Eula Biss, Maggie Nelson, Melissa Febos, Elissa Washuta, Anne Carson, Carmen Maria Machado My first question: I've done some research on creative nonfiction programs but I am not sure where I should be aiming. I know writing sample is most important but would anyone with more knowledge be able to suggest programs that might fit my profile? Maybe it's premature for me to stress but I am s t r e s s e d and posting this to make productive use of my stress. I've been trying to just write and read lots in general right now, but I feel like I could be doing something more targeted or strategic. My second (more important) question: Aside from writing, does anyone have advice about what I should use the next year to do? More specifically: read work from faculty at programs I'm interested in? read generally, widely, and everything? expand and experiment with my subject/thematic concern? narrow in my subject? apply to workshops? start formulating a project for MFA? anything else that I should take into account? Any input appreciated! Thanks very much for reading ( : SocialKonstruct 1
SocialKonstruct Posted December 31, 2025 Posted December 31, 2025 On 12/28/2025 at 8:56 PM, lys said: Hi everyone! I'll be applying to MFA programs for fall of 2027, looking for advice on how best to make use of the time before my application. I'm a 3rd year undergrad. My GPA is 3.97/4.0 majoring in honours philosophy, and I am adding a 2-year BFA starting next fall, so I'll finish my degree in five years (I'll be 23). I've published in 11 literary journals so far (poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction), some regional, some MFA-student-run. My strongest genre is CNF, where I'm currently enjoying writing continental philosophy informed lyric essay. In general I am interested in hybrid philosophical-creative work. People whose work I've enjoyed: Eula Biss, Maggie Nelson, Melissa Febos, Elissa Washuta, Anne Carson, Carmen Maria Machado My first question: I've done some research on creative nonfiction programs but I am not sure where I should be aiming. I know writing sample is most important but would anyone with more knowledge be able to suggest programs that might fit my profile? Maybe it's premature for me to stress but I am s t r e s s e d and posting this to make productive use of my stress. I've been trying to just write and read lots in general right now, but I feel like I could be doing something more targeted or strategic. My second (more important) question: Aside from writing, does anyone have advice about what I should use the next year to do? More specifically: read work from faculty at programs I'm interested in? read generally, widely, and everything? expand and experiment with my subject/thematic concern? narrow in my subject? apply to workshops? start formulating a project for MFA? anything else that I should take into account? Any input appreciated! Thanks very much for reading ( : Wow, you and have similar tastes in fact! I am a hardcore fan of Anne Carson in fact... CNF programs at the MFA level. I definitely can recommend University of Utah very highly for their track (Maggie Day went there). Just write and write. And read and read. Don't just read literary stuff only. Read everything from fashion catalogs to art monographs to even that questionable romance novel you have pining away for... Without samples of your writing I can't comment on what to suggest otherwise. I haven't really workshopped so I can't advise in any capacity there... I suggest just keeping publishing and writing as a good habit and explore new venues... lys 1
lys Posted December 31, 2025 Author Posted December 31, 2025 10 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said: Wow, you and have similar tastes in fact! I am a hardcore fan of Anne Carson in fact... CNF programs at the MFA level. I definitely can recommend University of Utah very highly for their track (Maggie Day went there). Just write and write. And read and read. Don't just read literary stuff only. Read everything from fashion catalogs to art monographs to even that questionable romance novel you have pining away for... Without samples of your writing I can't comment on what to suggest otherwise. I haven't really workshopped so I can't advise in any capacity there... I suggest just keeping publishing and writing as a good habit and explore new venues... Thank you so much for the advice & encouragement! especially the part about reading – I definitely do put some pressure on myself to be reading only High Literature™ all the time so I appreciate a permission slip to be less rigid. I'll check out Utah as well, thank you! Have a great day : D SocialKonstruct 1
SocialKonstruct Posted December 31, 2025 Posted December 31, 2025 11 minutes ago, lys said: Thank you so much for the advice & encouragement! especially the part about reading – I definitely do put some pressure on myself to be reading only High Literature™ all the time so I appreciate a permission slip to be less rigid. I'll check out Utah as well, thank you! Have a great day : D University of Utah is a very good fit for you and their MFA. Craig Dworkin, Lindsay Drager, and Paisley Rekdal (my fav) are all there. Rekdal is totally brilliant and sadly undervalued in the world of poetry lys 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now